Recession is upon us - disastrous economic data

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Now it makes sense 

Oh my god.  She is up there in top 5 of most annoying people on the Internet.  I'd actually rather listen to Karris than her...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Biden is Mentally Fit said:

Just shining a light on some data for a couple excitable lefties crowing about market performance under our Rushmore-worthy president. Always good to have data, don’t you think?

Depends on how its going to be used. Data is great when its used to craft an intellectually honest and consistent argument.  In this case, data was used to make the usual slinging of *****, that passes for political commentary in these parts, ostensibly passable.  Data wasn't needed.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Biden is Mentally Fit said:

Just shining a light on some data for a couple excitable lefties crowing about market performance under our Rushmore-worthy president. Always good to have data, don’t you think?

Can't do that.  Facts piss some off.

I'm waiting for one of the idiots to somehow bring this back to Trump.

6 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Correct because Trump cannot be allowed to take office again.

You guys are obsessed with Obama. It’s really weird.

LOL. Nothing weird with the trump obsession.

F'in cultist, none of you clowns have one single original thought.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Depends on how it’s going to be used. Data is great when it’s used to craft an intellectually honest and consistent argument.  In this case, data was used to make the usual slinging of *****, that passes for political commentary in these parts, ostensibly passable.  Data wasn't needed.  

Incorrect. Some might say “hoax”. Now if you have data that shows the S&P and Dow performing better under the current administration than the previous one, let ‘er rip. There’s a handful of lefties here that will cheer it on. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Biden is Mentally Fit said:

Incorrect. Some might say “hoax”. Now if you have data that shows the S&P and Dow performing better under the current administration than the previous one, let ‘er rip. There’s a handful of lefties here that will cheer it on. 

My bad.  Thought you were better than "stock market went up = my team better than your team".  Sorry for the interruption.  

• Vomit 1

25 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

I'm waiting for one of the idiots to somehow bring this back to Trump.

LOL. Nothing weird with the trump obsession.

F'in cultist, none of you clowns have one single original thought.

The Obama obsession was really strange.  Remember all the Hope and Change T-Shirts, bumper stickers, and even posters?  Obama was getting teen magazine type treatment from all sorts of fanboys and fangirls. It was a step change in American politics.  

But the Trump obsession is an order of magnitude bigger and weirder.  There is a Trump themed burger restaurant not far from me.  Trump NFTs, Trump bibles, Trump collector cards, Trump religious iconography.  People are basing their entire personality on being a Trump supporter.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

So nothing. Thanks

By responding to a post about equity market returns over the past 8 years and pointing out that the stock market is not the economy, a point which everyone knows and understands**, you believe that I am now obligated to engage in that silly discussion and provide contradictory evidence about a matter of factual record? Is that your understanding of how conversations work?

And you want to be my latex salesman....

**except for when it suits their argument.

During the Obama admin the stock market cruised and republicans knew that the stock market was not the economy.  How could it be since Democrats are bad at the economy?? Democrats were quick to point out that 401ks were looking pretty good. 

During the Trump admin, Republicans knew that the stock market was the economy and the market remained hot.  Dems were quick to remind us that stock market returns were just the rich getting richer at the expense of the little guy.  Wall Street, after all, is not Main Street.

Now we are here in the Biden admin and equity markets stayed hot during an unprecedented bull run.  Republicans once again remembered that the stock market is not the economy until the opening bell this morning when a 2% blip landed solely on the Biden admin but the previous multi-year run was just markets being markets.  Democrats are still pretty sure the stock market is the economy but that is likely to change in November...depending on who wins and which way the wind is blowing.

No matter who wins and what side you're on, I can already give you your economic talking points for the next 4 years on a single index card.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Biden is Mentally Fit said:

That’s only because you appear to have difficulty with following along. It happens. 

Oh yeah.  Equity market returns as a function of the sitting president is real difficult subject matter.  Maybe because its so new to me?  Oddly enough, it wasn't covered in any of the course work related to my degree in economics or in any of the CFA program curriculum.  

43 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Hmmm

Hmmmm

you think you caught me don’t you. Nice try. But a weak one. When we were going thru that I never said a word about it because I would never celebrate anything like that happening to this country. 
I posted that to today as a reminder for all those celebrating the stock market taking a hit what it was like under your supreme leader that you worship. 

Edited by 4th&long
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Oh yeah.  Equity market returns as a function of the sitting president is real difficult subject matter.  Maybe because its so new to me?  Oddly enough, it wasn't covered in any of the course work related to my degree in economics or in any of the CFA program curriculum.  

No. It’s that you came in midway through a “conversation” and proceeded to act like you knew the genesis of it. Since you are mostly out to lunch here, I will summarize it for you:

board lefties - stocks have gone to the moon on my guy’s watch!

me - did you know that the Dow and S&P performed even better under the last guy? Here’s a data nugget. 

you - you aren’t supposed to use data that way and all you are doing is saying my guy is better than your guy. 

Nobody is telling you not to jump in midstream and assume whatever you want. It might be your thing. I wouldn’t know. Whatever the case, impressive work on your part. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Biden is Mentally Fit said:

No. It’s that you came in midway through a “conversation” and proceeded to act like you knew the genesis of it. Since you are mostly out to lunch here, I will summarize it for you:

board lefties - stocks have gone to the moon on my guy’s watch!

me - did you know that the Dow and S&P performed even better under the last guy? Here’s a data nugget. 

you - you aren’t supposed to use data that way and all you are doing is saying my guy is better than your guy. 

Nobody is telling you not to jump in midstream and assume whatever you want. It might be your thing. I wouldn’t know. Whatever the case, impressive work on your part. 

I knew exactly what was going on: two people making bad arguments and demonstrating a stunted understanding of equity markets and economic conditions.  Thank you for confirming.  

I walked in halfway through a monkey ***** fight spanning 3 posts and you still insist I was having difficulty following the exchange of feces?  Impressive deductions on your part.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I knew exactly what was going on: two people making bad arguments and demonstrating a stunted understanding of equity markets and economic conditions.  Thank you for confirming.  

I walked in halfway through a monkey ***** fight spanning 3 posts and you still insist I was having difficulty following the exchange of feces?  Impressive deductions on your part.

Good to know you are here to divine the intentions of assorted conversations. Will definitely be handy.