All of the new kickoffs from yesterday's HOF game

Rubes

9 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Pretty mundane in my opinion. All the blocking was basically man-on-man.  It seems to me the old kick-offs gave the return team more room to work one side of the field or the other, essentially scheming to make some of the coverage guys irrelevant. 

Small sample size so I'll wait and see. 

Could also be that that is the vanilla way to do it in preseason.  We may get some surprises when the games matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Other thing the NFL should look into is perhaps allowing another position player to be on the field that has stay where the kicker was until he kicks the ball and then runs off the field, then he can get into the play.  That would allow the kickers to kick off but not have to risk injury at a critical position where most teams have no viable backup on a game day roster.

Sweet Christ. At that point just give them the ball at the 35, or have the ball dropped in by an ad funded drone, or shot out of the crowd by a CO2 cannon. Whatever. Safety kickoffs are stupid anyway. Players are still going to get hurt.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Looks like it’ll be 25 yard line or so when returned, maybe a little more.  As long as the receiving team blocks well, shouldn’t get less than that.

Only kickoff that looked to be a problem was at the 50 second mark.  Bottom of the screen blocker whiffed and blocked further downfield letting the edge guy stick the returner at the 20.  Not a poor return, but if the receiving team holds their blocks returns should be just enough.  Incidentally there was a flag on the play and not sure what it was for.

Gonna be weird playing Madden on kickoffs now.

Pretty sure it was a false start on the receiving team. One of the guys towards the center of the formation started moving while the kick was in the air.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Sweet Christ. At that point just give them the ball at the 35, or have the ball dropped in by an ad funded drone, or shot out of the crowd by a CO2 cannon. Whatever. Safety kickoffs are stupid anyway. Players are still going to get hurt.

Backup safeties are more replaceable in a single game than a kicker.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Looks good to me and I can see how it keeps the players safe.

I'm still waiting for someone to find a cheat code and break the system

I could see more return team injuries.  The blockers end up on top of each other - old style kickoffs had more spacing for the blockers.

You are right though, you shouldn't see as many Kevin Everett type of hits/injuries for the coverage team.

• Like (+1) 2

So is the team kicking allowed 12 on the field and after the kicker is done has to run off the field?  I guess that would eliminate kickers from being unnecessarily targeted.

I agree with Virgil, there are still going to be injuries under this format.

And I have always thought the onside kick was one of the most exciting plays in football, helped the Saints win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

Where is the ball placed if kicked in the endzone and downed, 25?

I feel like there will be a lot of "false start" type penalties happening on kickoffs this year. I don't think this changes all that much from an injury perspective either.  I don't really have much to say about the new rules honestly.  It's just a meh for me.  I don't care about it much.

Edited by Scott7975

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Where is the ball placed if kicked in the endzone and downed, 25?

I feel like there will be a lot of "false start" type penalties happening on kickoffs this year. I don't think this changes all that much from an injury perspective either.  I don't really have much to say about the new rules honestly.  It's just a meh for me.  I don't care about it much.

it'd be 30 yard line in this case.

Basically, the ball placement is following:

If the kickoff hits end zone and downed or goes out of the back of end zone, the ball is placed in 30 yard line.
If the kickoff hits landing zone (goal line to 20yard line), bounces to end zone, and downed for touchback, the ball is placed in 20 yard line.
If the kickoff hits landing zone and stays in the landing zone, receiving team must return it.

If the kickoff is short of landing zone, the ball is spotted at 40 yard line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, syhuang said:

it'd be 30 yard line in this case.

Basically, the ball placement is following:

If the kickoff hits end zone and downed or goes out of the back of end zone, the ball is placed in 30 yard line.
If the kickoff hits landing zone (goal line to 20yard line), bounces to end zone, and downed for touchback, the ball is placed in 20 yard line.
If the kickoff hits landing zone and stays in the landing zone, receiving team must return it.

If the kickoff is short of landing zone, the ball is spotted at 40 yard line.

thanks for the info. Geese that’s a lot of changes and different ball spots to monitor. 

5 hours ago, syhuang said:

My understanding is that the old rule doesn't only allow onside kickoff in 4th quarter nor limiting to trailing teams. The last change before this new kickoff rule was to avoid kickoff team to overload one side as I recall.

Okay, got you. It did change the formations because of the overload point though so I think it DID mean you had to "elect" for an onside kick. So while this may be a further tightening I think the surprise onside possibility went with the last set of changes.