All of the new kickoffs from yesterday's HOF game

Rubes

Link to video showing all of the new modified kickoffs from yesterday's game.

I was not up for watching the game last night, but I was definitely interested in the new kickoffs. Fortunately, Chicago made a compilation of all of the kickoffs from the game last night. Here it is for those interested...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 17

DBs and LBs don’t block so well. Guys like our supersized athletic Brit were born for this return unit. What I see is that they need more guys blocking who are accustomed to blocking, but they have to be really athletic to get a hand on those guys in space. 

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting.  Thanks for posting!  I was pretty skeptical about this rule change, but now that it's a done deal I'm approaching it with an open mind.  I definitely WANT kick returns to be a relevant part of the game, and if this works, I can live with the weirdness around it.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.  If this ultra-small sample is representative (unlikely), then we may be going back to the stats of my youth, where 20 yards/return was basically the minimum standard of "not-bad".  There were KRs who averaged <20 yards/return, but they were all bad kick returners and their teams usually tried to upgrade the spot the next offseason.  20 was like minimum acceptable, and anything 25 or over was nutso.

• Like (+1) 1

Not that it's bad, but it's soooo different. Like old stats and records now mean nothing. 

Since it's more structured and short distances to cover, I pictured a lot less long returns. The chaos and long distances to cover of previous kickoffs made it happen sometimes. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Not that it's bad, but it's soooo different. Like old stats and records now mean nothing. 

Since it's more structured and short distances to cover, I pictured a lot less long returns. The chaos and long distances to cover of previous kickoffs made it happen sometimes. 

They've been making changes to this forever though.  Wedges, running starts, where you kickoff from, where you can line up etc.

• Agree 1

Looks like it’ll be 25 yard line or so when returned, maybe a little more.  As long as the receiving team blocks well, shouldn’t get less than that.

Only kickoff that looked to be a problem was at the 50 second mark.  Bottom of the screen blocker whiffed and blocked further downfield letting the edge guy stick the returner at the 20.  Not a poor return, but if the receiving team holds their blocks returns should be just enough.  Incidentally there was a flag on the play and not sure what it was for.

Gonna be weird playing Madden on kickoffs now.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Are onside kickoffs a thing of the past now?

That's a good question. What happens in a situation where a team needs to do an onside kick. Last night's new kickoffs make that impossible.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

no surprise onside kickoff anymore, but there is still onside kickoff for trailing teams starting 4th quarter.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/rules-changes/new-dynamic-kickoff-rule-explainer/#:~:text=Onside kick%3A,at the A20 yard line

Onside kick:

4th quarter begins, the team trailing has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials

Current onside kickoff rules would apply. If onside kick goes beyond the setup zone untouched, kicking team penalized for UNS; return team would start the drive at the A20 yard line

Edited by syhuang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IMO it would make sense to train a position player to do kickoffs like the Chiefs are planning to do with their safety that was their emergency kicker in a game last year. 

You aren't kicking the ball in the endzone and off of a tee, pretty much any of those players should be able to hit it into that landing zone with a few months of practice.

Would give them a huge advantage on coverage teams versus having a kicker trying to make plays and put themselves at risk of being injured. 

Other thing the NFL should look into is perhaps allowing another position player to be on the field that has stay where the kicker was until he kicks the ball and then runs off the field, then he can get into the play.  That would allow the kickers to kick off but not have to risk injury at a critical position where most teams have no viable backup on a game day roster.

18 minutes ago, syhuang said:

no surprise onside kickoff anymore, but there is still onside kickoff for trailing teams starting 4th quarter.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/rules-changes/new-dynamic-kickoff-rule-explainer/#:~:text=Onside kick%3A,at the A20 yard line

Onside kick:

4th quarter begins, the team trailing has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials

Current onside kickoff rules would apply. If onside kick goes beyond the setup zone untouched, kicking team penalized for UNS; return team would start the drive at the A20 yard line

Hasn't that been the case for a couple of years now since the last lot of changes? 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hasn't that been the case for a couple of years now since the last lot of changes? 

My understanding is that the old rule doesn't only allow onside kickoff in 4th quarter nor limiting to trailing teams. The last change before this new kickoff rule was to avoid kickoff team to overload one side as I recall.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

It looks to me like they got super easy.  The kicker is by himself.  If he kicks it more than 10 years there is no way the other team can get there in time.  Games are going to suck because in the first half one team will have the ball the whole time if they can keep scoring and the second half the other team will be in the same boat.  Many fewer punts and 4th stops will be even more important than they already were.  The NFL does some stupid stuff.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Pretty mundane in my opinion. All the blocking was basically man-on-man.  It seems to me the old kick-offs gave the return team more room to work one side of the field or the other, essentially scheming to make some of the coverage guys irrelevant. 

Small sample size so I'll wait and see. 

• Agree 2