Friday 8-2 Return of Blue & Red at Highmark Stadium; Open to public 5:30 pm — 7:30 pm

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I kept thinking Elam was good when he played before this year. Sometimes I don’t understand what our coaches see. They will run out washed up zeros like Frank Gore, Latavius Murray, AJ Klein etc like they don’t see what everyone else can see…but then not realize guys that flash. I thought Elam was playing well every chance he got and just never got a look. I think Dorian Williams was a guy that was making plays and he just couldn’t get on the field. We were playing guys that didn’t belong in the league in the biggest game of the season over 42. There is a lot to like about McDermott but he definitely confuses me with personal decisions at times.

Ya McDermott seems to like the "floor" players who know the system compared to the upside players. At least on defence.

Dorian Williams in my opinion was a soup sandwich in pass coverage, especially on play action passes.

But there was 0 reason to start a washed up AJ Klein over him against KC

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

josh went from throwing his change up in practice to his heater in front of the crowd.

This could very well be the case, combined with wet-ish conditions. 

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think you might have it!

Agreed

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I kept thinking Elam was good when he played before this year. Sometimes I don’t understand what our coaches see. They will run out washed up zeros like Frank Gore, Latavius Murray, AJ Klein etc like they don’t see what everyone else can see…but then not realize guys that flash. I thought Elam was playing well every chance he got and just never got a look. I think Dorian Williams was a guy that was making plays and he just couldn’t get on the field. We were playing guys that didn’t belong in the league in the biggest game of the season over 42. There is a lot to like about McDermott but he definitely confuses me with personal decisions at times.

McDermott values consistency/trust over ceiling for sure. And that approach is great in the regular season, week over week and season over season. Fewer mistakes lead to more wins. But in the playoffs, with a smaller sample size and an elimination format, you gotta make more plays than your opponent EVERY game. 

Elam has 2 INTs and 3 PDEFs in 3 postseason games so far in his career! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agreed

McDermott values consistency/trust over ceiling for sure. And that approach is great in the regular season, week over week and season over season. Fewer mistakes lead to more wins. But in the playoffs, with a smaller sample size and an elimination format, you gotta make more plays than your opponent EVERY game. 

Idk if you could play him over Douglas/Benford rn

But phenomenal depth.. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it’s more possible our WRs are what we thought they are.

But that’s the fun of camp. We’ll soon find out.

Why would that be more possible? Elam was a 1st round CB. And it's not like he was overdrafted. We drafted him in the 1st round late and he was pretty universally considered a 1st/2nd rounder.

I'm not even mentioning the fact that he's a man press corner transitioning to zone...

oh wait I just did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agreed

Exactly....in the playoffs the window is smaller. Mistakes are amplified.  You need decisive splash plays over trusted consistency.  Klein was like a child among men.  You win with your ceiling,  not with your floor.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, you have to be able to visualize yourself accomplishing the task. Meaning people such as golfers, bowlers, and kickers need to have the mental image/confidence of proper release, follow through and everything else the task entails. Once you start overthinking those things you’re toast. 

I couldn't agree more. I've golfed for over 58 years. If you strike the ball mechanically wrong, it's going to sail left (hook) or fade right (slice). Getting your foot squared like the face of a golf club is paramount. Once the yips & shanks creep in, it takes quite a while to fix them.  We don't have the luxury or time to let Bass figure it out. He's completely unreliable beyond 48 yards.  We need the Butch Harmen of kicking instructors. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

The space being consumed by the new stadium has got to be a huge factor though.  

I'm only going to road games until that thing is up.  

I’ve been going to games for 20 years. This practice was at half capacity and the traffic felt like an actual game, actually worse. When we got to the stadium the lots were only 1/4 full. I parked in someone’s lawn yet to get out of traffic 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think Von is gonna be saved for obvious passing situations.

It seems like there's little value in starting him, especially on run downs.

Ray Davis had 8 fumbles in 840 touches (carries + receptions) in college. That's 1 fumble every 105 touches.

That's very low.

Of those 8 fumbles 3 were recovered by the other team.

Almost every NFL Head Coach is averse to starting a player until they TRUST that player.

Trust has to be earned.

That was in college. NFL defensive players make money ripping the ball out. 

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

You base that on one carry?

Nope. 

One thing that after the last few years drives bills fans to seek a therapist it’s hearing receivers dropping open passes. Especially with what they are paying Samuel. Lets hope this receiving corps isn’t what many of us kinda thought it looked like when they where constructed in the spring. 
Cause if we are relying on Agent 0 to be the alpha his first year that’s not good. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why would that be more possible? Elam was a 1st round CB. And it's not like he was overdrafted. We drafted him in the 1st round late and he was pretty universally considered a 1st/2nd rounder.

I'm not even mentioning the fact that he's a man press corner transitioning to zone...

oh wait I just did.

It’s more possible because he’s not facing anyone that’s a proven outside WR or consider a good separator outside.

A lot of the work from Allen this camp has come over the middle. We’ll just have to wait and see how these WRs fair outside. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

One thing that after the last few years drives bills fans to seek a therapist it’s hearing receivers dropping open passes. Especially with what they are paying Samuel. Lets hope this receiving corps isn’t what many of us kinda thought it looked like when they where constructed in the spring. 
Cause if we are relying on Agent 0 to be the alpha his first year that’s not good. 

To be fair, Samuel makes less than a quarter of what the highest paid receivers are making. Jefferson, the highest paid, is at $35M AAV, Samuel is at $8M.

7 hours ago, Simon said:

It's an aberration not worth worrying about.

The kid has outstanding hands.

3 drops in 4 throws for a player who had a 2.2% drop rate last year is a cause for concern. 
Not sure what’s changed, or whether it’s an “off night”, but it’s not something to blow off as irrelevant. it’s something to track and pay attention to. 

8 hours ago, I Am The Liquor said:

Bass should make all of those kicks.  Will he when the pressure is on in a big time game?  That's the question that scares the ***** out of me.

It’ll be interesting to see how he does on kickoffs in the preseason games.  Personally, I say just continue to blast it out of the end zone.  So, the opponent gets the ball at the 30.  I’d much rather just do that then take the risk that all of the 9 blockers don’t move early.

In general, on these kickoffs, players should use a strategy I didn’t see used on the couple of kickoffs I watched in Thursday’s game.   Since the blocker has to turn his head to look back if the ball is being returned, the opposite defender should run to th3 other side of the blocker.  They’re starting so close to each other, he’d have a good chance to get by the blocker.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s more possible because he’s not facing anyone that’s a proven outside WR or consider a good separator outside.

A lot of the work from Allen this camp has come over the middle. We’ll just have to wait and see how these WRs fair outside. 

Soooo... all of the positive we're hearing about Elam in contrast to the last couple years is basically because we lost Diggs???

Was Elam strictly going against Diggs the last 2 years???

I ask because he's reportedly making plays against multiple WRs this TC.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It usually takes me 1.5 hours to get to the stadium.   Took me 3 hours today. 

The 90 was backed up from just before the transit road exit almost all the way to the stadium. Then when I finally got to the backside of the stadium I was in a standstill for another 35 minutes.  I ended up parking a ways from the stadium because I wanted out of the car.

Absolute fluster cluck.  

Get used to it. The new stadium construction will be reminiscent of the Opening game of Rich stadium vs Washington in preseason. But this will last all year!

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Soooo... all of the positive we're hearing about Elam in contrast to the last couple years is basically because we lost Diggs???

Was Elam strictly going against Diggs the last 2 years???

I ask because he's reportedly making plays against multiple WRs this TC.

This is going to be one of those wait and see answers.

Two things are true. Elam having his best camp ever. Bills have no proven successful outside WRs on the roster.