Camp Battles: Quintin Morris vs Zach Davidson

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

What I hate about this camp battle is-  whomever we cut, will probably sign with an AFC rival.  Both guys look like they can play

It's going to be a tough decision for Beane. They know what they have with Morris, and I'd say he's reached his ceiling.  I'd say Davidson's ceiling is unknown at this point, but potentially he can be a better receiving threat than Knox.  So, do you weaken your STs and backup blocking TE to take a chance on that potential?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

What I hate about this camp battle is-  whomever we cut, will probably sign with an AFC rival.  Both guys look like they can play

We often get all excited about guys this time of year who never do much of anything.  Anyway, the organization creating a pipeline of players is a good thing, it has been a trend.  If they truly like all 4 and they can all play it is an opportunity to trade one potentially.

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully some of these pre-season games allow us to see what type of blocker Davidson is. He has great hands by all trading camp accounts. Would love a 6’7” athletic TE to add to the arsenal.  

7 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Hopefully some of these pre-season games allow us to see what type of blocker Davidson is. He has great hands by all trading camp accounts. Would love a 6’7” athletic TE to add to the arsenal.  

Agree.  I would like to know how that compares to Morris too.

• Like (+1) 1

If Davidson is as good as we’re hearing, maybe we keep four TE’s.  It’s more likely we stash a couple of the lower WR prospects on the PS than him.  6’7”, fast, good hands, he won’t make it to the PS.

4 hours ago, TPS said:

It's going to be a tough decision for Beane. They know what they have with Morris, and I'd say he's reached his ceiling.  I'd say Davidson's ceiling is unknown at this point, but potentially he can be a better receiving threat than Knox.  So, do you weaken your STs and backup blocking TE to take a chance on that potential?

Knox is so physical after the catch, a beast in red zone, and a plus blocker. He's expensive but hes an ideal TE2. 

• Agree 4

42 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Knox is so physical after the catch, a beast in red zone, and a plus blocker. He's expensive but hes an ideal TE2. 

The roster battle is between Morris and Davidson, not Knox. I used Knox as a measure of what I think Davidson’s receiving ceiling could be, if that wasn’t clear. 

50 minutes ago, TPS said:

The roster battle is between Morris and Davidson, not Knox. I used Knox as a measure of what I think Davidson’s receiving ceiling could be, if that wasn’t clear. 

Oh i just mean in TE3's ability to get on the field.  I think anytime you're using 2, it'll be kincaid and knox.  If you take one or the other off its likely for Shakir and a shift to 11 personnel.  So you're looking at it as - i can plug davidson in if kincaid is hurt.  Or Morris who is the superior special teams player, has played in the league before and made some plays. 

Do i like davidson enough to actually play him in a game in lieu of kincaid/knox is the real question - and how much? Is there interest out there for other teams 53 man rosters? Would Morris make PS where they can bring him up a couple of times if certain linebackers or special teams guys can't go in a given week? 

53 is very tight, but the practice squad expansion does give you a lot more flexibility than it did in the past.  Every team has these long end of roster guys who they love and keep around for a while.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Even after his renegotiated contract it seems that Knox is due $14 million in 2025 and $17 million in 2026.

That doesn't seem tenable for a number 2 TE. So thinking who might replace him as the number 2 next year is a valid question.

https://overthecap.com/player/dawson-knox/7887

Nah- he’ll be TE2 in 2025. 14M cap- 16M dead cap.  But he’ll be gone in 26 unless he takes a substantial pay cut

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:38 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Oh i just mean in TE3's ability to get on the field.  I think anytime you're using 2, it'll be kincaid and knox.  If you take one or the other off its likely for Shakir and a shift to 11 personnel.  So you're looking at it as - i can plug davidson in if kincaid is hurt.  Or Morris who is the superior special teams player, has played in the league before and made some plays. 

Do i like davidson enough to actually play him in a game in lieu of kincaid/knox is the real question - and how much? Is there interest out there for other teams 53 man rosters? Would Morris make PS where they can bring him up a couple of times if certain linebackers or special teams guys can't go in a given week? 

53 is very tight, but the practice squad expansion does give you a lot more flexibility than it did in the past.  Every team has these long end of roster guys who they love and keep around for a while.  

Zach is 6’7 and has 37 inch vertical. Line him up in red zone with Keon, Dalton, Shakir- mismatches galore 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:38 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

guys been on the Bills PS for a couple seasons.  They didn't call him up when Knox was out.  The year before the had Tommy Freakin Sweeney on the roster and Davidson on the PS....

On 8/8/2024 at 10:51 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Knox doesn’t have the greatest hands though. He’s like our Cook of TE’s. he will have some unbelievable plays and then some maddening head scratchers. 26 targets last year before he got hurt and he dropped 4. Kincaid had 78 targets and dropped 4. 

Might not be a stretch for Davidson to be a better pass catcher. It’s not like Knox was some stud coming out of college - he caught 39 passes. 

Buscaglia’s take 

Kincaid and Knox will be the two most heavily used tight ends, and Morris has sprinkled in with the first-team offense occasionally throughout the summer. Morris would be the only one that could be at risk of not making the team in favor of a player like Zach Davidson, who has had a nice camp. But with so much turnover on special teams this offseason, and Morris being a core member of all those units for coordinator Matthew Smiley for years, I think that’s enough to warrant a spot on the team right now. They should be able to get the 26-year-old Davidson through waivers and to the practice squad.

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2024 at 7:14 AM, Mr. WEO said:

guys been on the Bills PS for a couple seasons.  They didn't call him up when Knox was out.  The year before the had Tommy Freakin Sweeney on the roster and Davidson on the PS....

He couldn't replace Knox, Davidson was on IR last year.

Edited by ColoradoBills

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Just so I don't misconstrue, what is your point?

It seems Morris has glue on his hands, when ever he's called on to throw to he catches it and in the past i have wished they would use him more in the passing game especially in the red zone .

But for a TE he is on the short side . I have heard on 1 Bills live talk of how good Davidson has been doing & they say he can run & looks smooth doing so, more like a WR than a tall TE .

6' 7" in the red zone can't hurt and this coaching staff is known for teaching the younger players how to develop into really good NFL players . I'm sure McD and his staff will choose the one that fits best but you can bet the Giants, Panthers, & Bears are all looking to see who the Bills cut & will swoop in to grab those players when they do .