Camp Battles: Quintin Morris vs Zach Davidson

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Morris is a proven NFL backup tight end. Might even garner a 6th if the injury prone tall guy is really looking that good in camp. Nice problem to have. 

Put Davidson on PS.

Unless they decide Gilliam is no longer a good fit

Not the year to go with 5 WRs :)

yea glad to see the Battle though. Its real and its outstanding.

Go Bills

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I’ve never been a huge fan of Morris to be honest. For a 3rd string TE he’s fine but I was very big into the idea of drafting a blocking TE this last year because if Knox gets hurt again, Morris isn’t a good blocker and I don’t think they want to limit Kincaid to being an in line Y TE like he had to be last year. 

You also don’t want to go Jumbo all the time because it makes you more predictable with less passing threats on the field. There needs to be an added blocking threat at TE 3 imo. Davidson has the size but has never been known for that 

Morris catches the balls thrown it seemed. He also got open enough times to have been a sweet check down.

Zach would be nice ammo to have on PS , just in case.

imho

I like Morris as is steady and dependable , and then underutilized as an option. No reason to move on yet

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Morris catches the balls thrown it seemed. He also got open enough times to have been a sweet check down.

Zach would be nice ammo to have on PS , just in case.

imho

I like Morris as is steady and dependable , and then underutilized as an option. No reason to move on yet

To me it’s not about Morris necessarily like I said he’s fine, but if Knox goes down(which he has recently) the Bills best blocker is Kincaid and I’m sure they don’t want to do limit what they do with him. 

I prefer a blocker so Kincaid can remain the pass catcher that he is or going to an offensive lineman

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

To me it’s not about Morris necessarily like I said he’s fine, but if Knox goes down(which he has recently) the Bills best blocker is Kincaid and I’m sure they don’t want to do limit what they do with him. 

I prefer a blocker so Kincaid can remain the pass catcher that he is or going to an offensive lineman

Is Morris not at least a solid blocker? 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Have we considered keeping both and having 4 TE?  Could be as simple as cutting gilliam?  We lose his lead blocking ability but probably upgrade the pass catching and in line blocking.  03 personnel is still giving me shivers for how we could run power or spread.

This possibility doesn't seem to be on any fans' radars. If the Bills intend to run a fair amount of 2-TE personnel, which most of us agree they might, then wouldn't that suggest keeping 4 TEs is at least on the table? 

Agree with some that Gilliam is the wildcard in this conversation. Are the trio of Morris, Davidson, and Gilliam (given his TE background/flex) potentially competing for 2 roster spots? Or, could they even be making the case for the Bills keeping all 3?

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I like Morris a lot as TE3 the past 2 seasons.  Always wished he was a little taller.

6'2" is on the short side for the position.  

Quintin is good on STs and a reliable catcher of the football when called upon to do so.

I've heard mixed feelings on his blocking abilities.

Has only 14 targets in 2 years but 2 TDs and 7 first downs.

I got no problem with Quintin resuming his TE3 role this year.

But................

Lots of talk about Davidson this camp.

Davidson has been on the Bills camp/PS the last 2 seasons.  He's really tall 6'7" but slimmer than Quintin.

I'd like to hear some thoughts about the possibility of him replacing Morris as TE3.

What do you guys think?

Well, of course one question is gonna be "how well can he block?" and "can he block in-line as well as downfield?"  Tall slender and 6'7 doesn't say "great blocker" to me but of course technique and want to go for a lot.

You're right that Morris was not a great blocker to start with, and especially in-line.  He was a converted WR and it took him a minute.  He runs a pretty route though and his blocking has improved.

The other question is gonna be ST.  Morris has become a ST stalwart.  Josh did put in a word for how Davidson is working on ST.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Is Morris not at least a solid blocker? 

Morris converted from being a WR to being a TE sometime during his college career, so he kind of came to the Bills sort of sketchy on the blocking, especially inline.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

we have all seen what sometimes passes for a third tight end in this league.  Morris is WAY better than your garden variety third tight end. I say he garners a 6th, 7th at worst. 

Hey, if we move on cause we upgrade and get a pick out of in... Bonus Score! 

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This thread is way premature.  Lets see how Davidson performs in a at least one-season game before giving him a roster spot.

As the title states, this thread is about a "camp battle" not "giving him a roster spot".

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I remember when I would struggle to name the starting lineup.

Now I'm on a message board where folks intelligently discuss opposing opinions on who our TE#3 ought to be.

Gotta love OBD. 

And the offseason!

Right! 😅 LOL 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TPS said:

As the title states, this thread is about a "camp battle" not "giving him a roster spot".

Thank you.  As I stated in my OP, I like Morris a lot.  Lots of talk from camp media on Davidson (who I don't know much about).

My thread was started to get more info about him and the choice the coaches will be facing.

Not to muddy the thread, but there is a possibility that Knox may not be long for the roster.  Dawson most likely will have a BIG decision

to make next March as to his cap hit and future with the Bills. 

• Agree 1

I liked Joe Parrino's take on Locked on Bills podcast in his assessment with Davidson.  Definitely called him a player that warrants consideration.  He also added that Morris has had a solid training camp so not to take anything away from his performance.  However, Parrino, whom I respect immensely as an analyst, said that there is no denying the "IT" factor that Davidson possesses.  6'7", ran a 4.6 40, athletic score of like 8.2 (10 being perfect).  His college production in his last year was like 40 catches for over 800 yrds and 15 TD's.  That's pretty impressive for a TE.  

Question:  Will Dawson Knox still be on the roster next year?  My guess is his salary and declining production to Kincaid will play him out of Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd have to think Morris is the lead choice, but sounds like a good problem to have. I just need to see some game action of Davidson, bc Morris has performed pretty well when given the opportunity.

Davidson's variety of skills certainly provide a lot of potential depth, but it'd be a lot cooler if he could play safety.

5 hours ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

Question:  Will Dawson Knox still be on the roster next year?  My guess is his salary and declining production to Kincaid will play him out of Buffalo. 

Good question.  Let's see how much Brady uses 12 and how effective he is with it.

The Pats were once pretty dynamic with Gronk and Hernandez.  

Edited by hondo in seattle