Camp Battles: Quintin Morris vs Zach Davidson

I like Morris a lot as TE3 the past 2 seasons.  Always wished he was a little taller.

6'2" is on the short side for the position.  

Quintin is good on STs and a reliable catcher of the football when called upon to do so.

I've heard mixed feelings on his blocking abilities.

Has only 14 targets in 2 years but 2 TDs and 7 first downs.

I got no problem with Quintin resuming his TE3 role this year.

But................

Lots of talk about Davidson this camp.

Davidson has been on the Bills camp/PS the last 2 seasons.  He's really tall 6'7" but slimmer than Quintin.

I'd like to hear some thoughts about the possibility of him replacing Morris as TE3.

What do you guys think?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The camp battle nobody saw coming...

They both have advantages and disadvantages, and both seem to have some decent upside. Not sure how they're gonna make that decision, especially since Davidson has already been on the PS twice before.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rubes said:

The camp battle nobody saw coming...

They both have advantages and disadvantages, and both seem to have some decent upside. Not sure how they're gonna make that decision, especially since Davidson has already been on the PS twice before.

I always look at it like the longer you're on a PS, the less likely you are to be poached.  You have no film anymore, while UDFAs of the last year or two have fresher college film, and have played with a team throughout camp.  

I think Davidson has a good chance of winning the job.  He definitely has the talent advantage,  it's just a matter of translating that to practices and the preseason games and so far,  it sounds as though he's off to a good start.  

4 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Morris is a proven NFL backup tight end. Might even garner a 6th if the injury prone tall guy is really looking that good in camp. Nice problem to have. 

It was unlucky he was injured last summer.  Has he been injured before that?

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It was unlucky he was injured last summer.  Has he been injured before that?

If he’s really not injury prone or was redshirted last year, all the more reason to trade Morris for a 6th or 7th. Looks like Davidson was a punter in college, which would have been helpful last year when Martin was injured but had to play to stay at 53. 

57 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Morris is a proven NFL backup tight end. Might even garner a 6th if the injury prone tall guy is really looking that good in camp. Nice problem to have. 

agree and if we can add a third no one saw coming that ups the skill level a bit and get a pick for Morris, even better. Not sure people don't wait for cuts... but stranger things have happened... 

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

Davidson was a tight end/punter in college.

Positional versatility, babaayyy!!

I didnt know he punted... seriously that could be a thing to consider when making a call if its close. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JP51 said:

agree and if we can add a third no one saw coming that ups the skill level a bit and get a pick for Morris, even better. Not sure people don't wait for cuts... but stranger things have happened... 

I didnt know he punted... seriously that could be a thing to consider when making a call if it’s close. 

we have all seen what sometimes passes for a third tight end in this league.  Morris is WAY better than your garden variety third tight end. I say he garners a 6th, 7th at worst. 

53 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

If he’s really not injury prone or was redshirted last year, all the more reason to trade Morris for a 6th or 7th. Looks like Davidson was a punter in college, which would have been helpful last year when Martin was injured but had to play to stay at 53. 

He went on IR before camp last year.  I was disappointed we didn't get to see him play.

An athletic 6'7" TE in a jumbo goal line package is intriguing.  

Just read a forwarded report (I believe from @HappyDays ) that Zach is stuck with the 3rd unit.  Hope he will move up and get some time with the 2s soon.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Morris to be honest. For a 3rd string TE he’s fine but I was very big into the idea of drafting a blocking TE this last year because if Knox gets hurt again, Morris isn’t a good blocker and I don’t think they want to limit Kincaid to being an in line Y TE like he had to be last year. 

You also don’t want to go Jumbo all the time because it makes you more predictable with less passing threats on the field. There needs to be an added blocking threat at TE 3 imo. Davidson has the size but has never been known for that 

Edited by gonzo1105

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

You also don’t want to go Jimbo all the time because it makes you more predictable with less passing threats on the field. There needs to be an added blocking threat at TE 3 imo. Davidson has the size but has never been known for that 

Looks to me like Davidson could use to put on a few pounds.  He's tall, but pretty lean at #251.

• Agree 1

Have we considered keeping both and having 4 TE?  Could be as simple as cutting gilliam?  We lose his lead blocking ability but probably upgrade the pass catching and in line blocking.  03 personnel is still giving me shivers for how we could run power or spread.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I like Morris a lot as TE3 the past 2 seasons.  Always wished he was a little taller.

6'2" is on the short side for the position.  

Quintin is good on STs and a reliable catcher of the football when called upon to do so.

I've heard mixed feelings on his blocking abilities.

Has only 14 targets in 2 years but 2 TDs and 7 first downs.

I got no problem with Quintin resuming his TE3 role this year.

But................

Lots of talk about Davidson this camp.

Davidson has been on the Bills camp/PS the last 2 seasons.  He's really tall 6'7" but slimmer than Quintin.

I'd like to hear some thoughts about the possibility of him replacing Morris as TE3.

What do you guys think?

I have him as my dark horse candidate to make the team. As I said in that thread, he may be difficult to let go if he shows well in preseason. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I appreciate what Q has done for the team over the past seasons but it seems like he's hit his ceiling (we also know his floor is okay for TE3). IMO if they're close at cut time you roll with the higher upside guy. That upside is how your create advantages on the field and versus the salary cap. Obviously consideration of whether Davidson is "close" will need to include his ST ability and not just his TE ability.  Should be a fun battle to watch.

Edited by co_springs_billsfan