Football is back! Texans - Bears - HOF game tonight, 8pm EDT ABC/ESPN

First reaction to the "player left early" call on the kickoffs is that this is just another ticky tack call the NFL can use to influence games....but.....it is just a 5 yard penalty.

For comparison, the UFL never called such a penalty on this play, that I saw, and I watched a lot of UFL.

Like, why can't the NFL just leave well enough alone... It's a good play. Keep your ticky tack flags in your pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

To expound upon this, it's an absolutely stupid flag to throw based on logic. The offensive players are basically reacting to the coverage players. If the coverage player leaves a smidgen early, the offensive player covering him is also going to leave a smidgen early. There is no advantage to the coverage team. 

Unless the coverage player is outrageously early, there is absolutely no reason to throw this flag.

I'm just waiting for this ticky tack flag to disrupt a good play.

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

To expound upon this, it's an absolutely stupid flag to throw based on logic. The offensive players are basically reacting to the coverage players. If the coverage player leaves a smidgen early, the offensive player covering him is also going to leave a smidgen early. There is no advantage to the coverage team. 

Unless the coverage player is outrageously early, there is absolutely no reason to throw this flag.

I'm just waiting for this ticky tack flag to disrupt a good play.

I hope they will adjust the call as they go. The one thing you can say about this new kickoff is it's a football play. Someone has to be tackled. As opposed to a touchback which is the football equivalent of an intentional walk.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope they will adjust the call as they go. The one thing you can say about this new kickoff is it's a football play. Someone has to be tackled. As opposed to a touchback which is the football equivalent of an intentional walk.

And the NFL has to rely on a low budget spring league to come up with this. The rules and regulations system in the NFL is completely broken and it's run by stone-aged losers.

I'm sure they're just calling this uber strictly in preseason in order to educate the players...

....they won't call it at all until late in the regular season....

....then the Bills will be playing the Chiefs in the playoffs. The Bills take the lead with 30 seconds left and kick off....

....the coverage team tackles the returner and he fumbles. The Bills recover and seemingly win the game....

BUt WAiT!!!!

Yellow flag!!!!

You left early!!!!

Chiefs ball on the 35 yard line and and they drive to win it with no time on the clock.

I'm already fuming about this and will not sleep tonight.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Worse: it was an unintentional walk sandwiched by 6 minutes of commercials 

• Haha (+1) 2

The game was actually pretty decent up until the last couple of minutes when the rain made the ball slick. And then they canceled it. Usually the hall of fame games are unwatchable, but this one was decent.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MJS said:

The game was actually pretty decent up until the last couple of minutes when the rain made the ball slick. And then they canceled it. Usually the hall of fame games are unwatchable, but this one was decent.

Agree. There were some nice plays made. Going forward, maybe the HOF game should just be 2 quarters long?

Edited by PromoTheRobot