Potential Rule Change (Motion)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-shuts-down-rulebook-loophole-that-dolphins-49ers-and-rams-were-exploiting-during-2023-season/ar-BB1r2yLz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=c55f15e16a3e41cdb2f15f930f30ada1&ei=11

The Miami Dolphins' offense took the NFL by storm last year and a big reason that happened is because coach Mike McDaniel implemented a new pre-snap motion that allowed his speedy players, like Tyreek Hill, to thrive. 

At one point last season, 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan referred to the movement as a "cheat" motion and it seems the NFL agrees with that assessment. For the 2024 season, the Dolphins could be penalized if they continue to use the motion due to a new rule that's being added this year. 

The 2024 version of the NFL rulebook contains an item that wasn't there in 2023. Here's what the new rule says, "If an eligible receiver who is on the line of scrimmage moves backward or changes his stance (two point to three point or conversely) and does not come to a complete stop before the snap, it is a false start. Any eligible backfield player who changes his stance does not have to come to a complete stop prior to the snap, as long as his actions are not abrupt (false start) or forward (illegal motion)."

The words in bold were added for the 2024 season. According to Pro Football Talk, the NFL explicitly added the new rule to cut down on what the Dolphins were doing. 

Miami's pre-snap motion would feature a receiver starting to angle toward the line of scrimmage just before the snap, as you can see in the video below with Hill. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

This is interesting and can see it really hindering some teams if refs decide to call it . Dolphins, SF, and KC come to mind.

Tua got his bag and now their taking away a big chunk of their offensive scheme. 

Worthy in KC will be almost "worthless" if he cant use motion to break free.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk

Thanks!  Looks like the link has moved to here: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/cheat-motion-is-now-officially-cheating

This will be interesting to see how officials call it.  Can the person in the replay booth call it down to the field?  Really a very split-second thing.  Interesting that some teams are called out, I'm guessing Hill and Deebo get called with anything that is close.  

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

This is interesting and can see it really hindering some teams if refs decide to call it . Dolphins, SF, and KC come to mind.

Tua got his bag and now their taking away a big chunk of their offensive scheme. 

Just read that article before coming here to post about it.

Found it interesting that it has been on the books for a while and the NFL was just clarifying it. Now they need to take that next step and teach officials how to toss the hanky when Miami's guys are heading towards the LOS full steam before the ball is snapped.

Worthy is getting a lot of heat for being a feather weight that DBs can easily jam into next week or easily knock off his route and timing.

57 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Is this because the players never stopped moving before the snap?  Are they supposed to stop or is it a thing where they were going behind the LOS before the snap. I guess I never knew it was cheating. 

The way I understand it is the problem is they would be moving forward (or diagonally forward so as not so blatant) at the snap.  Now if they move forward at all they will be required to come to a full stop or it's a penalty.  I think.  Not sure how the "abrupt" part is to be interpreted.

Relevant language: “Any eligible backfield player who changes his stance does not have to come to a complete stop prior to the snap, as long as his actions are not abrupt (false start) or forward (illegal motion).”

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Is this because the players never stopped moving before the snap?  Are they supposed to stop or is it a thing where they were going behind the LOS before the snap. I guess I never knew it was cheating. 

Ya you can't go forward with the snap. You can still move laterally, but if you take a step forward then it would be an illegal motion

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Tua needs all the help he can get.  He relies on smoke and mirrors far more than a true franchise QB should which is laughable that he got the contract he did.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Just read that article before coming here to post about it.

Found it interesting that it has been on the books for a while and the NFL was just clarifying it. Now they need to take that next step and teach officials how to toss the hanky when Miami's guys are heading towards the LOS full steam before the ball is snapped.

Worthy is getting a lot of heat for being a feather weight that DBs can easily jam into next week or easily knock off his route and timing.

It’s interesting how all the rule changes are always in favor of the offense.  We can give Miami forward motion if they will bring back the Mel Blount forearm club to the head.  Would love to see Tyreek writhing on the ground.  

it’s so interesting for us old time football fans how the game has changed.  No one ever talks about how good of a hitter someone is.  We signed Kareem Jackson, who will lay people out, and people are concerned that he is a “dirty player”.  Some intimidation in the defensive backfield is a good thing.  It’s football.  A gladiators game.  I guess Roger didn’t get the memo. 

2 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

The way I understand it is the problem is they would be moving forward (or diagonally forward so as not so blatant) at the snap.  Now if they move forward at all they will be required to come to a full stop or it's a penalty.  I think.  Not sure how the "abrupt" part is to be interpreted.

Relevant language: “Any eligible backfield player who changes his stance does not have to come to a complete stop prior to the snap, as long as his actions are not abrupt (false start) or forward (illegal motion).”

Seems like Miami was doing this a lot. It was often talked about how hill or any of their RBs would be at full speed by time they got the ball making it hard for DBs to react and so on. 

38 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It’s interesting how all the rule changes are always in favor of the offense.  We can give Miami forward motion if they will bring back the Mel Blount forearm club to the head.  Would love to see Tyreek writhing on the ground.  

it’s so interesting for us old time football fans how the game has changed.  No one ever talks about how good of a hitter someone is.  We signed Kareem Jackson, who will lay people out, and people are concerned that he is a “dirty player”.  Some intimidation in the defensive backfield is a good thing.  It’s football.  A gladiators game.  I guess Roger didn’t get the memo. 

So to me, many of these “intimidating” plays ARE dirty. Watching videos from the 70s/80s/90s and there are so many cheap shots taken. Guys getting literally dragged down by their collars who aren’t even involved in the play. Has the league over corrected, perhaps, but it does make the game more exciting. Also, there are too many of these former players who can’t walk or have severe problems because of all of the shots they took to the head. 

10 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

They can still run it, they just have to keep their motion player from leaning towards the LOS before the snap.  I saw 1-2 uncalled illegal motions a game, regardless of the team last year.  It was probably 50-50 run pass, too.

Seems like its more of an instance of them enforcing a currently existing rule.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Add some language to specifically target instances that were probably violations before but can now be easily enforced.   I hope there is a sky ref with an angle of the LOS that pretty much shows when they do it.  

The rule change is two fold.  You now can't line up on the LOS, take a step back (while another player takes a step forward and re-sets to put 7 on the LOS), and motion without stopping.  In that scenario you now MUST stop and re-set off the LOS.  If you were already off the LOS and are in motion, you cannot move toward the LOS without stopping and re-setting.  

If they're clarifying it to this degree, i think its something they want taken out of the game.  

On 8/1/2024 at 8:51 PM, Ya Digg? said:

So to me, many of these “intimidating” plays ARE dirty. Watching videos from the 70s/80s/90s and there are so many cheap shots taken. Guys getting literally dragged down by their collars who aren’t even involved in the play. Has the league over corrected, perhaps, but it does make the game more exciting. Also, there are too many of these former players who can’t walk or have severe problems because of all of the shots they took to the head. 

I see both sides of the coin.  Don't like the guys from yesteryear having all the cognitive problems from their 40's on.  Very sad how Dave Duerson, Andre Waters and Junior Seau killed themselves after getting CTE.  (there maybe more that I am not aware of.)  My son had a real good college football career playing D line/edge.  He pulled a hammy at his pro day and did not get a shot in the pros.  It pissed me off big time because I think he was good enough.  He had a lot of injuries starting when he was probably 9 or 10 when he got concussed and still made like 10 tackles in the first half of a pee wee game.  And me and his mother had to take to get him examined at the hospital at halftime.  He broke his ankle in HS and tore a knee in college.  But came back strong each time.  And had a bunch of other less serious stuff too.  But I have thought that at least he won't get his body destroyed for the next 10 years, including his head playing in the pros.  So there is some good to come out of it.  And he works in the financial world now.  But I still would have loved for him to get the chance. 

But I don't think the game is more exciting today, then back when Jim Kelly, etc played.  The game has always been exciting, including the violence and intimidating hits.  Do you remember Leonard Smith for the Bills?  It was exciting back then.  And its exciting now.  Don't know how old you are, but football has always been an awesome sport to watch as far back as I can remember, and I started watching in the mid 70's regularly as a kid. 

If you want to see a crazy game from a violence standpoint compared to today.  Watch on Big 10 replay if you can find it, the Purdue-Kansas State Alamo Bowl at the end of the 1999 season.  Drew Brees was playing for Purdue.  (30 minute replay)  What was legal from a hitting standpoint was ridiculous back then.  LOL

On 8/1/2024 at 9:15 PM, billsfan89 said:

This is my interpretation also. The rule did not really change but was worded slightly differently to make it easier for an official to make a call