Potential Rule Change (Motion)

This is interesting and can see it really hindering some teams if refs decide to call it . Dolphins, SF, and KC come to mind.

Tua got his bag and now their taking away a big chunk of their offensive scheme. 

Worthy in KC will be almost "worthless" if he cant use motion to break free.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk

They can still run it, they just have to keep their motion player from leaning towards the LOS before the snap.  I saw 1-2 uncalled illegal motions a game, regardless of the team last year.  It was probably 50-50 run pass, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

They can still run it, they just have to keep their motion player from leaning towards the LOS before the snap.  I saw 1-2 uncalled illegal motions a game, regardless of the team last year.  It was probably 50-50 run pass, too.

Yeah I agree.

I'm glad they're looking at this.

McDaniel and the Dolphins last year, with their "cheat motion" stuff, basically dared the league to call their bluff by -- as you mention -- often having players who sure LOOKED like they were moving forward before the snap.

The league does indeed appear to be calling their bluff. Good.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It was always cheating. Good for them for clarifying it, but I don't see how it needed to be clarified. This isn't the CFL.

I know, right? I don't understand this at all.

There are multiple times a game where receivers are moving forward while in motion or at least slanting forward instead of running across on pretty much every team...it's never called.

The Dolphins used that looping backward motion a lot, which I think made it harder to catch the forward movement prior to the snap. If they call it correctly, aside from screen passes, any backward motion puts you in a slight disadvantage.

• Like (+1) 1

I was pretty annoyed when seeing receivers moving forward before the snap and not getting flagged for it last year. It is good that it is a focus, but they didn't need a rule change. Just enforce the rule.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

The Dolphins used that looping backward motion a lot, which I think made it harder to catch the forward movement prior to the snap. If they call it correctly, aside from screen passes, any backward motion puts you in a slight disadvantage.

Yep - or you'd see deebo go further off the LOS in lateral motion to fake the handoff but then turn back towards the LOS well before the snap.  In those scenarios, the league is now going to expect you to either stay further off the LOS and continue laterally, or require you to come back to a stop if you are moving forward.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And that was how we were going to ha e Coleman run routes at an NFL speed damn it!!!

Maybe we can get an exemption for him! LOL 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 0017 said:

Bills definitely used the cheat motion last year and got away with it, hopefully Brady’s offense isn’t built around this type of motion. 

Everyone did, some teams were egregious with it. Miami immediately comes to mind.

• Like (+1) 1