Catan

Beck Water

I played a couple times in college. It's fine, never got the obesession.

On 8/3/2024 at 10:11 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am more of a Cones of Dunshire guy. 

It's about the cones!

• Haha (+1) 1

i had never even heard of it until a year or two ago when the guys on the bills were talking about it.  then i saw it was inducted into the toy hall of fame.  no idea how we missed considering we were big board game people.  we played a ton of risk.

1 hour ago, teef said:

i had never even heard of it until a year or two ago when the guys on the bills were talking about it.  then i saw it was inducted into the toy hall of fame.  no idea how we missed considering we were big board game people.  we played a ton of risk.

Risk (La Conquête du Monde) was my favorite board in college.  we played with multiple boards with players able to attack between boards.

I ha

2 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Risk (La Conquête du Monde) was my favorite board in college.  we played with multiple boards with players able to attack between boards.

I ha

would those games take weeks to finish?!

Amazing game.

I was a "regular" board game guy my whole life. I knew nothing of "designer" games or, for lack of a better term, nerdy board games.

Someone introduced my wife and I to Catan a few years ago (back when it was still called Settlers of Catan). We loved it. We bought our own set, and we still play it to this day against other couples friends (and it can also be adapted to play with three people instead of four).

Things I like about it:

- The board is different every time, so there is no ONE strategy that's going to win every single game. You have to adapt to the board and use different strategies in different games to give yourself the best chance to win.

- There are multiple ways to go about trying to win. It's not just "first one to get Boardwalk and Park Place wins!".

- Trading of resources with fellow players adds an interactivity that is lacking in other games.

- The game takes skill, logic, and forethought to win. While it involves SOME luck, it involves way less of it than other games. 

I know there are a bunch of different expansion sets, but honestly, I don't feel the need to use any of them, because the base game is about as well constructed and consistently fun as a game can be. No need to fix what isn't broken.

I can see why the guys play it camp. And "a bunch of 20-something pro football playing jocks play it a bunch at training camp" is about as good an endorsement of how fun it is (and the fact that it isn't just for nerds) as any I can think of.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2024 at 3:50 PM, Logic said:

Amazing game.

I was a "regular" board game guy my whole life. I knew nothing of "designer" games or, for lack of a better term, nerdy board games.

Someone introduced my wife and I to Catan a few years ago (back when it was still called Settlers of Catan). We loved it. We bought our own set, and we still play it to this day against other couples friends (and it can also be adapted to play with three people instead of four).

Things I like about it:

- The board is different every time, so there is no ONE strategy that's going to win every single game. You have to adapt to the board and use different strategies in different games to give yourself the best chance to win.

- There are multiple ways to go about trying to win. It's not just "first one to get Boardwalk and Park Place wins!".

- Trading of resources with fellow players adds an interactivity that is lacking in other games.

- The game takes skill, logic, and forethought to win. While it involves SOME luck, it involves way less of it than other games. 

I know there are a bunch of different expansion sets, but honestly, I don't feel the need to use any of them, because the base game is about as well constructed and consistently fun as a game can be. No need to fix what isn't broken.

I can see why the guys play it camp. And "a bunch of 20-something pro football playing jocks play it a bunch at training camp" is about as good an endorsement of how fun it is (and the fact that it isn't just for nerds) as any I can think of.

They need the expansion pack so they can have more than 4 guys play.

That's the need for the expansion set, so you can have 5 or 6 people and still play Catan.  We were gifted the Seafarer's Expansion with our first set.

More than 6 and it's time to break out Captain's Sonar  (Now there's a game, someone ought to send Josh a set.)

I don't think they just play it at camp, they play it throughout the season. 

The OL of the GB Packers (at Rodgers peak) was said to be seriously addicted to Catan, to the point where new additions learned very quickly that they better Get with the Program and not be futzing about with the music or other party-type stuff

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/3/2024 at 2:15 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ok this is going to sound really sad, but I don’t have enough people to play 😂😭

There are online versions.  Can play against friends or computer opponents.

• Like (+1) 1