Training Camp Thursday 8/1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Flat out exciting to hear this.  If we're going to see a BETTER Josh Allen this season, well it is hard to understand what that will look like.  80% completion percentage?  

He is elevating his game, all parts; mental, physical, leadership etc

This is going to be the best year, and probably favorite year of his entire career.  It's going to end with him kissing the lombardi

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Kay Adams on OBL 🤪

Kay would make an honest man out of me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Just remember Kenny Pickett looked like an All-Pro last preseason.  The team lights it up against Arizona in Week 1, then we’re talking.

I just love "pump the brakes" guys on my team's message board.  Such a needed element!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Updates from Matt Parrino:

Khalil Shakir was the player of the day for me and what he's able to do in the practice environment, working against Taron Johnson play in and play out, is just amazing. He had a touchdown today where Johnson was draped ALL OVER HIM. I don't even know how Allen felt good enough about the situation to throw the ball up but he almost saw Shakir open before Khalil got to the spot and just barely pulled away from Johnson to make the grab. It was so so good and Shakir seems ready for massive year.

He always seems to be in the right spot. On his second TD in red zone work, Allen went to Shakir who was his second read in the play and Khalil had the hard job of delaying just enough to be in the right spot for Josh to make the throw. And he did and it was an easy score. He is turning into the do everything receiver some believed he could be coming out of Boise St. Shakir made another grab over the middle late in team drills when the team was working in the middle of the field. Good in good win vs #7.

Sedrick Van Pran Granger was with the 2nd team at center in place of Alec Anderson -- and he had himself a heck of a day. I watched him on at least 5 individual snaps during team drills and SVPG held up nicely. When Anderson returns to practice, I'll be interested to see what happened to Van Pran Granger, who has worked only at center this summer.

Zach Davidson continues to make big time plays even though he can't break away from the third team. He had a a pair of TDs and his quickness and physicality is impressive.

Ed Oliver was a terror today- TFL monster once again. He gets a few days into pads and starts making plays and you start to see him really letting the offense know about it. He stuffed James Cook on once play for a 3 or 4 yard loss and immediately started dancing his way over to the offensive side to let them know.

Cook had what I think was his best day, including a huge run during the later portion of the 11on11 drills. He basically dropped Daequan Hardy with a quick move and smooth footwork to get to the edge and turn it into a big gainer. Shotgun run between 76/66 in red zone too was sweet. Went in untouched.

Baylon Spector set the tone early in practice with a nice forced fumble on a short catch by Tre McKitty. Spector has been flying around like he has in camps past the past few days. The issue for him now is all of the names in front of him on the depth chart. Deion Jones and Nick Morrow worked in for one set of drills with the first team defense. 

Dalton Kincaid is good. I don't need to write much more at this point. A bunch of grabs, including one impressive touchdown against Christian Benford where 86 fought it away from the DB.

Keon Coleman made a highlight reel grab, jumping over Rasul Douglas, but was flagged for OPI.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Kay would make an honest man out of me

I'm just gonna say it. 

With full recognition of the fact that Kay Adams is a talented and likeable reporter, podcaster, and TV personality and that her physical attractiveness likely should not enter the conversation, lest it show small-minded and caveman-ish misogyny on my part...

...I would like to buy that woman a plate of spaghetti and then lie with her in the adult fashion.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm trying to dig through old posts but does anyone remember last year's camp? Was there this much positivity? Am I going overboard on the optimisim?

Loving the reports of how Allen seems to be having his best camp (EVAR). Just wondering how the two camps stack up. Any insight into how Dorsey "does things" vs Brady.

It's early but I'm feeling better about the offense. It could also be the cumulative effect of having a solid core/foundation in place for years now. You have a base of players, coaches and front office "who've done this before, are professionals, are used to winning (the regular) season". Maybe at this point there's some autopilot (in a good way).

2 minutes ago, technobot said:

I'm trying to dig through old posts but does anyone remember last year's camp? Was there this much positivity? Am I going overboard on the optimisim?

Loving the reports of how Allen seems to be having his best camp (EVAR). Just wondering how the two camps stack up. Any insight into how Dorsey "does things" vs Brady.

It's early but I'm feeling better about the offense. It could also be the cumulative effect of having a solid core/foundation in place for years now. You have a base of players, coaches and front office "who've done this before, are professionals, are used to winning (the regular) season". Maybe at this point there's some autopilot (in a good way).

Last year, we just talked about LBs and Diggs' body language.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm just gonna say it. 

With full recognition of the fact that Kay Adams is a talented and likeable reporter, podcaster, and TV personality and that her physical attractiveness likely should not enter the conversation, lest it show small-minded and caveman-ish misogyny on my part...

...I would like to buy that woman a plate of spaghetti and then lie with her in the adult fashion.

like this?

joyfuldentalcare-home.jpg

• Haha (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, technobot said:

The thing that stands out for me is that in every previous camp I can remember for the past five+ years, two things were true: The defense usually led the way early and was further along than the offense, and even once the offense caught up, the two units tended to trade days back and forth in terms of who "won the day". 

This year, it seems to me that the offense is being reported as crisp and efficient day after day. It seems the offense is moving the ball and scoring, day after day. Now, I suppose one could look at that and be concerned about the defense, but...we can't rule out the possibility that the offense is just humming right now.

It also seems that the ball is being spread around. It's not just "X player is having a dominant camp". One day it's Samuel moving all over the formation and making catches, the next day its Coleman with a highlight reel catch, the next day Kincaid or Shakir (or Knox or Shavers) are drawing praise for their route running and hands.

Lastly, and most importantly: Similar to the offense as a whole, most years, Josh has some really good days and a few bad or mediocre days. This year, I have yet to hear of any bad or mediocre days for Josh. All indications are that he is playing in rhythm, making good decisions, distributing the ball to everyone, and that his passes themselves are spinning off his hand with precision and velocity. Some have even said they think this is Josh Allen's best training camp as a pro. That's SAYING something!

For me, the optimism is due to a combination of: specific reports of the way the offensive personnel is being deployed (formations, shifts, motions, etc), the effective distribution of the ball to different players, Josh Allen apparently being on an absolute heater, and lastly: there is an intangible element of renewed fun/freshness/opportunity that I didn't feel last year. The Bills have felt...tight...to me for a couple years now. Like the weight of expectation (and the unspoken behind-the-scenes weirdness between certain players) was crushing them. This year? Breath of fresh air. Smiles. Fun. Turning the page. Opportunity.

I feel the optimism. I didn't a few weeks ago, but I do now. I'm excited to see this Bills team take the field in September.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

No injury status for Clayton? I wonder if they are not willing yet to let him do a pads practice.  Kinda cautious, but I'd hate to see someone get hurt bc of his inexperience (also his enourmousness and speed)

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Flat out exciting to hear this.  If we're going to see a BETTER Josh Allen this season, well it is hard to understand what that will look like.  80% completion percentage?  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

2020 is still Allen's best statistical season by a good bit.  Returning to those numbers would, IMO, count as a "better" Josh Allen. 

Year Comp. % TD/INT ratio TD% INT% Yards/Att Adj. Yards/Att
2020 69.2% 3.7 6.5% 1.7% 7.9 8.5
2021 63.3% 2.4 5.6% 2.3% 6.8 6.9
2022 63.3% 2.5 6.2% 2.5% 7.6 7.7
2023 66.5% 1.6 5.0% 3.1% 7.4 7.0

Regardless of where the counting stats wind up, if Allen is getting close to the 2020 numbers above, you're going to see the offense look REAL good.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

At the end of that you can see how more short/stocky Solomon is (esp compared to other DE) which surprised me - thought with the long arms he would be more taller/lanky

Went to the first practice. Solomon looks like the most muscular person on the team.  He looks like he was drawn for Marvel by Jack Kirby or John Byrne.

Good low dip when he corners, too.  I see him working his way to 2nd unit, 5-8 sacks.  Max Crosby ceiling.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm just gonna say it. 

Lady and the tramp style

I'm with you, she knows her stuff. 

I'm just saying, if she ever asked me to do nasty things to win her favor, I'm going to do it no questions asked

• Haha (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, eball said:

I just love "pump the brakes" guys on my team's message board.  Such a needed element!

Haha I mean I tend to be optimistic, but let’s see this all in a real game before we anoint this offense the best ever.  For all we know right now, the defense might suck instead 😎.

• Like (+1) 1