Training Camp Thursday 8/1

3 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Agreed. Shorter has no value. Neither does Shavers. If they can't make our active roster, why would another team claim them for their active roster? They've shown absolutely nothing in real games.

Both would easily make our practice squad, imo.

If Isiah Hodgins can get picked up off the practice with a career total of 4 catches in Buffalo, Shavers can absolutely get picked up as well.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I'm excited about this team. I think they can be great

There does seem to be a positive vibe about this team right now. It was a bummer to see some longtime Bills move on but that's the business. I'm excited for these new guys to make their marks. I think they have some really solid pieces. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m glad/relieved they’re working on ball security with the WRs. I’ve noticed too often that Coleman is a bit lackadaisical in quickly securing the ball into his arm. NFL coverage is way more difficult at this level than even Div I college and he’ll have DBs not giving up of separating him from the ball after it appears he caught it.

jmo.

I believe he's already had a ball ripped out of his hands and he's certainly seen some of the other WR get robbed.  

Welcome to the NFL, Rookie.  Yeah, single-catch it and tuck it away, Keon.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Isiah Hodgins can get picked up off the practice with a career total of 4 catches in Buffalo, Shavers can absolutely get picked up as well.

I'm gonna talk out of both sides of my mouth here.  

On the one hand, every pre-season it seems that we on TBD over-estimate the attraction that our guys have for the rest of the league.  On roster cut day, ~1280 guys are hitting the waiver wire.  To get claimed on waivers and signed to another team's 53-man, the other team has to have either had their eye on the player in the draft and missed getting him, OR, he has to have shone like the sun in preseason games, AND that team has to be short on that position. 

Hopkins was grabbed off waivers during the season.  He had just shown he could come into a regular season game and look like an NFL player, and the Giants were decimated by injuries at WR so they grabbed him.  So it does happen.  It also happens on cutdown day - we saw it with our 7th round pick Nick Broeker last season - but less often than one would think, because with the season starting, the known quantities that have been learning the playbook and earning the trust of the coaches >> unknown quantity other team just cut.

It feels like we’re a settled Safety situation away from having one heck of a team with more depth and far more potential than we’ve had in recent years.

All love to the former Bills that won a bunch of Division titles, but it was time to move on and this team has an evidently different vibe to it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm gonna talk out of both sides of my mouth here.  

On the one hand, every pre-season it seems that we on TBD over-estimate the attraction that our guys have for the rest of the league.  On roster cut day, ~1280 guys are hitting the waiver wire.  To get claimed on waivers and signed to another team's 53-man, the other team has to have either had their eye on the player in the draft and missed getting him, OR, he has to have shone like the sun in preseason games, AND that team has to be short on that position. 

Hopkins was grabbed off waivers during the season.  He had just shown he could come into a regular season game and look like an NFL player, and the Giants were decimated by injuries at WR so they grabbed him.  So it does happen.  It also happens on cutdown day - we saw it with our 7th round pick Nick Broeker last season - but less often than one would think, because with the season starting, the known quantities that have been learning the playbook and earning the trust of the coaches >> unknown quantity other team just cut.

To the first point; we watch these guys and root for them so we tend to over inflate their value relative to what's going on in the rest of the league with each team probably having someone similar.

To the second; Don't forget that Dabol was familiar with the player so if he had to grab a receiver, going with a known quantity was probably a better option in his mind.

Edited by yall
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

There does seem to be a positive vibe about this team right now. It was a bummer to see some longtime Bills move on but that's the business. I'm excited for these new guys to make their marks. I think they have some really solid pieces. 

Change is constant in the NFL...a team with good QB can turn over almost half its roster in one offseason and still thrive.  The Chiefs are an excellent example of this.    

Just now, yall said:

To the first point; we watch these guys and loot for them so we tend to over inflate their value relative to what's going on in the rest of the league with each team probably having someone similar.

To the second; Don't forget that Dabol was familiar with the player so if he had to grab a receiver, going with a known quantity was probably a better option in his mind.

It’s rare for teams with no connections to players to claim them to the 53 .. especially at positions like WR, where - as you point out - most teams have their own Tyrell Shavers.   Hodgins was a known commodity for Daboll & Schoen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, yall said:

To the first point; we watch these guys and root for them so we tend to over inflate their value relative to what's going on in the rest of the league with each team probably having someone similar.

I think that last was absolutely a factor.  Not only Daboll but Schoen, plus, to the extent that the Giants offense had Daboll's fingerprints on it, Hodgins knew it.

I can remember heated discussions here, back in the days of Jauron, Gailey, and Marrone, that we couldn't possibly cut fringe player X because he'd be snapped up in an instant.....Joique Bell anyone?   I will say, it's more likely now that the Bills have had a consistently winning roster for years, other teams probably take a closer look at the Bills cutoff bin.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s rare for teams with no connections to players to claim them to the 53 .. especially at positions like WR, where - as you point out - most teams have their own Tyrell Shavers.   Hodgins was a known commodity for Daboll & Schoen. 

Who misses the old days where we were hoping to get a starter or two for the OLine at cutdowns? What dark times those were…..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hodgins was a special case of a coaching staff with a lot of familiarity with him plus a dog ***** WR corp in NY. But I concede the point.

Very, very low value.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Looks like Cam Lewis getting safety reps again.

He’s likely the emergency safety in season.

Beane said it would likely be next week before either new guy is up to speed enough to get on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

If Davidson is able to make that competition close I wonder if it might get interesting with the new Kickoff rules. I remember they said that Knox might be kicking off so with Davidson having experience as a Punter that'd be a lot of flexibility he could add.

What what, Knox kicking off, that would be wild having his size and speed in place of a dedicated kicker. Do you remember where you saw this?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Beane said it would likely be next week before either new guy is up to speed enough to get on the field.

So Burgess is apparently exceeding expectations?

Full quote not as interesting:

Josh Allen post-practice

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

What what, Knox kicking off, that would be wild having his size and speed in place of a dedicated kicker. Do you remember where you saw this?

Don't remember specifically but I double checked when I said it and here's an article talking about it.

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/buffalo-bills/dawson-knox-kicker-tyler-bass-new-kickoff-rules/

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The universal sentiment from people in attendance is that Allen is having the best training camp of his career.

Flat out exciting to hear this.  If we're going to see a BETTER Josh Allen this season, well it is hard to understand what that will look like.  80% completion percentage?  

• Like (+1) 4