Nicotine Pouches?

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

When I got Lyme recently and didn't smoke for a few days I decided to take advantage of that window and quit.

I've been a cigarette/cigar smoker for 40+ years and have never quit before. I'm now on Day 13 of being nicotine free for the first time since I was 14 yrs old.

I didn't use any patches or gum or anything and honestly it's been a little "easier" than I thought it would be. The one thing that is putting the fear in me though is what is going to happen the next time I'm sitting outside at camp having some cocktails with friends. That is when I tend to chain smoke cigars.

Any tips on how to deal with that?

I was shocked at how easy this has been.

My biggest challenge - by far - has been routine/habit. 

I was such a creature of habit that I would light up the same exits during my work commutes each day. 

My other weakness was idle/alone time. I did not smoke around my girlfriend. Didn’t smoke at all anytime we were together. 

But when we weren’t together (I.e. when we said good bye for the night (we don’t live together), that is when I smoked the most. 

What I’ve found to be helpful has been very simple … I take a deep breath and say out loud - “I am smoke free.”

I still do it whenever I have the tiniest craving.

My other recommendation is to challenge yourself. I don’t have many friends who smoke, but when I am around any of them and they light up, I stay right there with them and talk … just not whilst smoking. 

I actually have a half pack of smokes in a jacket pocket in my closet. I know it’s there and I can honestly say that I have not come close at all to caving. 

For some reason, I feel like that challenge helps me, which is why I haven’t thrown them away. 

Weird, I know … but it’s working for me. 

GOOD LUCK ON STAYING SMOKE FREE!!!

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Simon said:

When I got Lyme recently and didn't smoke for a few days I decided to take advantage of that window and quit.

I've been a cigarette/cigar smoker for 40+ years and have never quit before. I'm now on Day 13 of being nicotine free for the first time since I was 14 yrs old.

I didn't use any patches or gum or anything and honestly it's been a little "easier" than I thought it would be. The one thing that is putting the fear in me though is what is going to happen the next time I'm sitting outside at camp having some cocktails with friends. That is when I tend to chain smoke cigars.

Any tips on how to deal with that?

When you're with friends, and you've had a couple drinks, when you reach for that cigar, have one of your friends do this....

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47radpe5aft7vd12zahr

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fleezoid said:

When you're with friends, and you've had a couple drinks, when you reach for that cigar, have one of your friends do this....

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47radpe5aft7vd12zahr

lmao, that will undoubtedly end with somebody saying "Well, that escalated really quickly"

On 7/31/2024 at 8:56 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Have been using Skoal/Grizzly wintergreen since high school. I can’t stop now (40 years later). Ugh

You would have thought that a good 'chaw' of that, along with a requisite spittoon would have put the run on Gabby Gretta when she used to tie up you and staff.