Joe Milton outshining Drake Maye at New England Patriots TC (SI)

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This is not good news for the Bills in my opinion.

still early, but I’d prefer a guy with his measurable not outshining anyone in camp

A lot of what Milton does well - Single reads, structured plays, 1x1s - are the first things installed in training camp.  So i wouldn't read too much into anything.  

The controlled environment of camp vs. a game is... so different.  A game shows the wrinkles.  Rookies usually get exposed.  Slow eyes between targets that results in pressure and sacks.  College open vs. NFL open and ball placement and precision become that much more important.  The lack of pocket Prescence resulting in phantom pressures and pocket bailing.  Teams blitz rookies a lot, especially when they struggle against it.  A team game-planning to stop you is a LOT different than a scout team defense trying to install... their own defense.  

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so could Kyle Boler (70 yards).

Milton was an awful QB last year.  Look out?  The guy was a college QB for 6 years.  5300 yards, 37 TDs.

He was worth a 6th round flier though based on his tools. Not like someone spent a 1st round pick on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was worth a 6th round flier though based on his tools. Not like someone spent a 1st round pick on him. 

true, but 6 years is a lot of time spent in top programs learning the game and putting those tools to use. the sum of all that was pretty bad football...

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't outplay Allen in camp though. Allen was the best QB in that camp as a rookie. They just didn't want to start him week 1. They tried the Peterman thing just to avoid that. It was never working. 

It was that Bengals preseason game that did it, Oline were turnstiles and felt like it put in some fear that they were going to get their rookie QB that they were developing killed if they put him out there behind them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

so could Kyle Boler (70 yards).

Milton was an awful QB last year.  Look out?  The guy was a college QB for 6 years.  5300 yards, 37 TDs.

He attempted the exact number of passes Josh Allen did in college. He wasn't the full time starter until last year. He wasn't awful, he was inconsistent. The last two years at Tennessee he threw 30 TD's to 5 INT's. Yes, if he gets with a QB guru to tweak his throwing motion, and gets the mental aspect down, then look out. He could surprise a lot of people. I did preface that statement by saying not everyone is Josh Allen though. Not every QB gets to the NFL and then puts it all together. Milton is blessed with the physical tools though. 

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

still early, but I’d prefer a guy with his measurable not outshining anyone in camp

Milton has elite physical skills, but McDermott would have that guy seeing ghosts.   

Maybe he can improve, but the reason he dropped to a late round flier is because he cannot read a defense. 

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It means nothing until he actually plays in an NFL game and does well.  And even then, he could be like Mac Jones. 

When Milton was at Michigan, based on his preseason practice performance, coaches and players were saying that he'd be the #1 overall draft pick in the NFL draft.  Then the season started and he soon found himself losing his starting job to Cade McNamara after playing poorly and falling way behind at Rutgers (McNamara led the comeback for Michigan to win the game).  He was also anointed the starter at Tennessee, and after getting injured, lost the spot to Hendon Hooker and Hooker kept the job when Milton got healthy.  Milton has great measurables and is a fantastic practice player, but he's just not a very good in-game player.

He's not Tom Brady 2.0.  He's almost the opposite.  Brady has somewhat limited physical tools, but he's the best ever at the intellectual part of the game, reading defenses, making the smart play, taking what the defense gives him.  Brady is at his best in the biggest moments, Milton, no so much.  In fairness to Milton, he did put up some decent numbers during his last couple of seasons at Tennessee, but he is who he is and I don't see him being a successful NFL QB.  I have nothing against the guy, other than that he now plays for the Patriots, but because of that, I hope that I'm right.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, H2o said:

He attempted the exact number of passes Josh Allen did in college. He wasn't the full time starter until last year. He wasn't awful, he was inconsistent. The last two years at Tennessee he threw 30 TD's to 5 INT's. Yes, if he gets with a QB guru to tweak his throwing motion, and gets the mental aspect down, then look out. He could surprise a lot of people. I did preface that statement by saying not everyone is Josh Allen though. Not every QB gets to the NFL and then puts it all together. Milton is blessed with the physical tools though. 

Josh spent half the time in a school at a middling conference.  Milton was getting trained at Michigan and Tenn.  He's still not ready.

Reminds me of how excited I was when the Bills took Cardale Jones, solely based on his absolute cannon of an arm.

Jones was more or less out of the NFL after just one season. 

Not the same players, of course, but...if arm strength was all it took to be a good NFL quarterback, then Jeff George and Jamarcus Russell would be the GOATs.

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't outplay Allen in camp though. Allen was the best QB in that camp as a rookie. They just didn't want to start him week 1. They tried the Peterman thing just to avoid that. It was never working. 

My memory if that camp was Josh worked as the #3 all camp and got very little work with the ones.  Peter mean did look better is what was reported.   They were planning on taking three into the season but the raiders made a strong offer for McCarren and then Peterman showed who he was in real life forcing the bills to put Allen in at halftime.  

19 hours ago, H2o said:

He can throw a football 60 yards on one knee. An absolute cannon. His decision making and inconsistent accuracy were his problems. Not everyone is Josh Allen though. But if he can get the mental aspects down and refine his throwing motion, look out. 

Remember Kyle Boller? First round pick of the Ravens 2003, he could throw a football 70 yards on both knees and he sucked.

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Good Joke.