Joe Milton outshining Drake Maye at New England Patriots TC (SI)

"I wrote after last Thursday’s practice that Milton is the “wow” quarterback at camp— the guy with the best size, best athleticism, and biggest arm. Now I’ll take it a step further: Milton outplayed Maye over the first six practices of camp. You can’t tell which player is the No. 3 overall pick (Maye) and which is the sixth-round flier (Milton)," Ben Volin wrote for the Boston Globe.

NFL veteran Jacoby Brissett is taking first team reps while Maye comes in at number two but is lacking the wow factor everyone is looking for, despite getting an immense amount of reps. Volin also noted that Maye was the only quarterback to not throw touchdown pass during the red zone period while Milton threw consecutive touchdowns on limited reps.”

https://www.si.com/college/tennessee/football/joe-milton-outshining-drake-maye-at-new-england-patriots-training-camp-01j44s6h1gw8

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Way too early…I mean Nathan Peterman was chosen to start over Allen in camp.  

He didn't outplay Allen in camp though. Allen was the best QB in that camp as a rookie. They just didn't want to start him week 1. They tried the Peterman thing just to avoid that. It was never working. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Definitely early, but Joe Milton’s measurables are scary good. 

He can throw a football 60 yards on one knee. An absolute cannon. His decision making and inconsistent accuracy were his problems. Not everyone is Josh Allen though. But if he can get the mental aspects down and refine his throwing motion, look out. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't outplay Allen in camp though. Allen was the best QB in that camp as a rookie. They just didn't want to start him week 1. They tried the Peterman thing just to avoid that. It was never working. 

Still early

18 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Definitely early, but Joe Milton’s measurables are scary good. 

That would be a shame, we really don’t want a real QB showing up in New England do we…? 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Still early

It is. And I am not saying Milton will start. But I just don't think the Peterman - Allen analogy works here. The Bills were adament Josh wasn't in a competition.... but to the extent he was he won it hands down

31 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

"I wrote after last Thursday’s practice that Milton is the “wow” quarterback at camp— the guy with the best size, best athleticism, and biggest arm. Now I’ll take it a step further: Milton outplayed Maye over the first six practices of camp. You can’t tell which player is the No. 3 overall pick (Maye) and which is the sixth-round flier (Milton)," Ben Volin wrote for the Boston Globe.

NFL veteran Jacoby Brissett is taking first team reps while Maye comes in at number two but is lacking the wow factor everyone is looking for, despite getting an immense amount of reps. Volin also noted that Maye was the only quarterback to not throw touchdown pass during the red zone period while Milton threw consecutive touchdowns on limited reps.”

https://www.si.com/college/tennessee/football/joe-milton-outshining-drake-maye-at-new-england-patriots-training-camp-01j44s6h1gw8

An important distinction here is that this isn't saying Milton is good, just that he's outplaying Maye.  Brissett still #1 which is not a high ceiling, neither rookie has managed to surpass.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Peterman looked pretty decent in camp and preseason, though. Nobody thought he would suck so spectacularly once the real games started.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Milton was always a swing for the fences. If someone can tame him and control him he could hit big. 

Agree. I was surprised that a team like the Giants didn’t take home earlier than the 6th.