Bills signing S Terrell Burgess

The Wiz

6 hours ago, Rubes said:

I mean, it's a worry, but the truth is that Rapp was always going to be one starter, and the other was to be a battle between Edwards, Hamlin, and Bishop. Hamlin's still available, and it sounds like he's been doing well, so my sense is that these latest signings are to make sure we have sufficient depth at the start of the season, allowing Bishop the time he needs to recover and catch up on the position.

It's also about having enough safeties to practice with a 90 man roster.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Honestly, this is probably good news for the health of Cole Bishop and Mike Edwards. I feel as if either were in serious jeopardy of being put on IR - they'd have done more than Jackson and Burgess.

Right now, I tend to agree with you.  

36 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Serious question - why is Simmons not being signed by the Bills? We are dumpster diving to fill positions in an already weak position group. But still no Simmons?

Serious answer- money

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Personally, I thought Terrell Burgess is more of a career Special Teamer.   He's played in 43 games but only started 4; last season he played a grand total of 3 defensive snaps until the last 3 games of the season.

On the other hand, he played 82% of the ST snaps for the Commanders and played a lot of teams for the LAR.

I don't really think it has much to do with Bishop at all, other than him playing less right now means Hamlin gets more defense reps and they need someone to backfill on ST.  (Kareem Jackson has never played much on ST)

You could well be right.  I hope so. I just fear. The news on Bishop might be bad.

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Serious question - why is Simmons not being signed by the Bills? We are dumpster diving to fill positions in an already weak position group. But still no Simmons?

If Simmons were ever in the plans, we wouldn't have Drafted Cole Bishop in the 2nd, Re-Signed Taylor Rapp, and Signed Mike Edwards.

Whether it be money or not liking him as a fit, they chose to sign, re-sign, and Draft other people when they could have signed him.

As I said earlier, it seems to me if Edwards and Bishop were serious injuries, they'd have done more than Jackson and Burgess. The plan is still to roll with some combination of Rapp, Edwards, and Bishop at Safety for this year. 

And the fact that *no one* has signed him says to me he's priced himself at an unreasonable rate.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If Simmons were ever in the plans, we wouldn't have Drafted Cole Bishop in the 2nd, Re-Signed Taylor Rapp, and Signed Mike Edwards.

Whether it be money or not liking him as a fit, they chose to sign, re-sign, and Draft other people when they could have signed him.

As I said earlier, it seems to me if Edwards and Bishop were serious injuries, they'd have done more than Jackson and Burgess. The plan is still to roll with some combination of Rapp, Edwards, and Bishop at Safety for this year. 

And the fact that *no one* has signed him says to me he's priced himself at an unreasonable rate.

Price seems to be the most logical answer but this late in the off season, Simmons should make up his mind and adjust expectations. It is likely he is content to stay on the couch and then play when inevitably some team becomes desperate during the season. 

I just dont want Safety to be yet another weak spot on the team. We are already unproven in several position groups. 

9 hours ago, eball said:

Poyer was borderline awful last year.  He may have communicated well but he became a liability physically.

Started out the year as a slow, weak spot.  McD changed the D to accentuate Poyer's strengths, minimize his weaknesses, and he finished very strong.  He was closer to borderline Pro Bowl than awful.  Also owes coach some of that Miami sucker $.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I mean the question shouldn’t just be why haven’t the Bills signed Simmons but why hasn’t any of the 30 other teams signed him either 

Because teams don't want to pay 15M/yr for an almost 31 yr old FS.  What the Bills are doing signing lower tier guys like Jackson & Burgess simply fills necessary open spots for practice once Bishop/ Edwards heal.  Now if Justin wants to sign a 1 yr/ 8M prove it deal, I'd listen.