Bills have not lost by more than 6 points in last 40 games (NFL Record)

21 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

With a -57 point differential and the worst point differential to ever have made the playoffs in NFL history;

only on the merits of the unlikeliest of 4th-down plays by another team, ... and Dalton; 

With the worst overall performance by said QB in his three seasons here; 

while beating a handful of 4, 5, and 6 win teams that season in addition to the last-seeded Falcons and Alex-Smith led Chiefs; 

and losing in the Wild Card round with one of the worst couple offensive performances of that season.  

Two other 9-7 teams that were far more qualified to "make the playoffs" that but that lost the tiebreaker, and both of which had point differentials of +92 and +83, for deltas of 149 and 140 over ours, which is nearly 10 ppg.  

If that isn't significant in the discussion ... 

Either way, he underachieved with Taylor too that season, which should be obvious since he got less out of Taylor than Ryan did.  

What do you think 6 and 7 seed playoff teams beat?  They aren't beating the elites.

16 game season, he won 9.  You can cherry pick every single stat you want but they still won 9 games with Taylor.

Not to mention, even the good teams mostly beat bad teams.  Last year the Chiefs beat the Raiders, Broncos, Vikings, Patriots, Jets...also lost the Broncos and Raiders.

He underachieved with Taylor?  Taylor since leaving Buffalo has 14 TD's to 11 INT's with only about 6 yards per pass attempt.

He lost his job quickly in Cleveland lol.

If he underachieved with Taylor, why isn't Taylor a consistent starter then?

Last seeded Falcons and Alex Smith led Chiefs lol.  The way you word things is comical.

Falcons were in the Super Bowl the year before and were a playoff team in 2017.  But you're going to word it "Last seeded".

The Alex Smith led Chiefs won the division that year lol.  

Let me ask you this, did Reid underachieve with Alex Smith?  

45 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Winning creates a winning culture and Allen is responsible for our winning, almost exclusively.  

Yep...football isn't a team game.  Not at all.

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What do you think 6 and 7 seed playoff teams beat?  They aren't beating the elites.

16 game season, he won 9.  You can cherry pick every single stat you want but they still won 9 games with Taylor.

Not to mention, even the good teams mostly beat bad teams.  Last year the Chiefs beat the Raiders, Broncos, Vikings, Patriots, Jets...also lost the Broncos and Raiders.

He underachieved with Taylor?  Taylor since leaving Buffalo has 14 TD's to 11 INT's with only about 6 yards per pass attempt.

Last seeded Falcons and Alex Smith led Chiefs lol.  The way you word things is comical.

Falcons were in the Super Bowl the year before and were a playoff team in 2017.  But you're going to word it "Last seeded".

I'm not the one that implied how McD got more from our QB when he got less.  That was you.  

Otherwise, OK, I realize that people are going to fit things to their preferred narratives and opinions.  We'll simply have to agree to disagree.  

It'll clear up for the football world this season if we really continue on the path, or anything close, that we did under Brady last season.  

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not the one that implied how McD got more from our QB when he got less.  That was you.  

Otherwise, OK, I realize that people are going to fit things to their preferred narratives and opinions.  We'll simply have to agree to disagree.  

It'll clear up for the football world this season if we really continue on the path, or anything close, that we did under Brady last season.  

I did not imply at all that he got more out of Taylor....you made that up dude.  I just responded to your post how he underachieved with Tyrod Taylor.  

Every coach has underachieved with Tyrod Taylor then I guess.

And to your bolded "Last seeded Falcons/Alex Smith led Chiefs".       <---   You mean like that?

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

With a -57 point differential and the worst point differential to ever have made the playoffs in NFL history;

only on the merits of the unlikeliest of 4th-down plays by another team, ... and Dalton; 

With the worst overall performance by said QB in his three seasons here; 

while beating a handful of 4, 5, and 6 win teams that season in addition to the last-seeded Falcons and Alex-Smith led Chiefs; 

and losing in the Wild Card round with one of the worst couple offensive performances of that season.  

Two other 9-7 teams that were far more qualified to "make the playoffs" that but that lost the tiebreaker, and both of which had point differentials of +92 and +83, for deltas of 149 and 140 over ours, which is nearly 10 ppg.  

If that isn't significant in the discussion ... 

Either way, he underachieved with Taylor too that season, which should be obvious since he got less out of Taylor than Ryan did.  

Thanks captain downer!  7-9 teams have made the playoffs, lots of 9-7 teams have made it and missed.  The fact is they made it, this post is the most pessimistic view of something that was significant for  the team and franchise you can have.   I have a feeling when the Bills win the SB you will have a post like this explaining why there were lucky, never should have won and how they are the worst SB winner ever.

"Josh Allen and co. are as consistently dominant as anyone in the league right now"

Is this for real?  Chiefs (who have bounced the Bills out of the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years) have been in the SB 4 of the past 5 seasons and won 3. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, njbuff said:

And another stat that should make Bills fans infuriated about not winning the SB.

All these stats about the Bills being so good, but there’s nothing to show for it.

Except for being so good, your words…, lol, nuthin but luv njbuff, 

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Josh Allen and co. are as consistently dominant as anyone in the league right now"

Is this for real?  Chiefs (who have bounced the Bills out of the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years) have been in the SB 4 of the past 5 seasons and won 3. 

We are regular season dominant. 

14 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Thanks captain downer!  7-9 teams have made the playoffs, lots of 9-7 teams have made it and missed.  The fact is they made it, this post is the most pessimistic view of something that was significant for  the team and franchise you can have.   I have a feeling when the Bills win the SB you will have a post like this explaining why there were lucky, never should have won and how they are the worst SB winner ever.

It appears to make him feel good to be amongst the protagonists of doom and gloom posts, there is a cohort here that specializes in doing this, 😁👍🍸🚬

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

That unfortunately is because our defense has failed to uphold it side of the bargain come the postseason, yes injuries are part of it, but my gosh, that side of the ball appears to be cursed come the playoffs, just imagine if those injuries hadn’t happened and we were healthy each postseason…, oh well, always hoping for the best, 👍

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Then why haven't other good teams been on a streak like this then?  Are we the only good team that hasn't had a let down game or something?  

They won the division 4 years in a row meaning they will play the other 1st place teams in the conference.  That is playing a 1st place schedule.

None of your quibbling removes the fact that a 40 game streak of not losing by more than 6 points is inconsequential.    

And if you don't even know how to figure out strength of schedule, I don't know what to tell you.  If there were a remedial TSW class for fans, you'd be in the front row every year.    

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Yeah.  Hoisting the regular season success trophy is a common theme here when things go south, but it doesn't matter at this phase in the team's development beyond whether they have the #1 seed and win all their playoff games.    

Lot of people who want to feel good and point to those stats/game results while quibbling (see above) because their ego gets in the way of admitting the team has underwhelmed at least 3 years running.    

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I did not imply at all that he got more out of Taylor....you made that up dude.  I just responded to your post how he underachieved with Tyrod Taylor.  

Every coach has underachieved with Tyrod Taylor then I guess.

And to your bolded "Last seeded Falcons/Alex Smith led Chiefs".       <---   You mean like that?

You said this ...

he had a below average starting QB and went 9-7.  

The clear implication of the discussion at hand is that he's done more than his predecessors, at QB or otherwise.  

Clearly he got less from Taylor than Ryan did.  

Ryan also didn't have his extremely favorable circumstances, including an incredibly unlikely 4th down completion having zero to do with him or his team.  

35 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Well, the point that you miss entirely with that comment is that poor teams sometimes make the playoffs and records are often driven by SOS or SoW (wins).

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

None of your quibbling removes the fact that a 40 game streak of not losing by more than 6 points is inconsequential.    

And if you don't even know how to figure out strength of schedule, I don't know what to tell you.  If there were a remedial TSW class for fans, you'd be in the front row every year.    

Yeah.  Hoisting the regular season success trophy is a common theme here when things go south, but it doesn't matter at this phase in the team's development beyond whether they have the #1 seed and win all their playoff games.    

Lot of people who want to feel good and point to those stats/game results while quibbling (see above) because their ego gets in the way of admitting the team has underwhelmed at least 3 years running.    

You are taking a shot towards my intelligence when I never said "strength of schedule" and only said first place schedule.  

Here's what a first place schedule means.

The Bills finish 1st in the AFCE.  That means they will play the 1st place team in the AFCW, AFCN and AFCS.

Have you notice the Pats don't play the Chiefs every single year?  Wonder why that is?

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-the-nfls-scheduling-model-can-impact-a-teams-season

"So what looks like a favorable schedule with three bonus last-place teams can actually end up being daunting, and a schedule with three defending division champs might not be that tough at all. No other NFL team has handled these three extra games better over the past two years than the Buffalo Bills, who have had a first-place schedule both years and have gone 5-1 in those games. (The Steelers, Vikings and 49ers have all gone 5-1 as well, but none with a first-place schedule)."

Now do you understand what a 1st place schedule is?  Or are you too blinded by your fake internet tough guy act?

22 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You said this ...

he had a below average starting QB and went 9-7.  

The clear implication of the discussion at hand is that he's done more than his predecessors, at QB or otherwise.  

Clearly he got less from Taylor than Ryan did.  

Ryan also didn't have his extremely favorable circumstances, including an incredibly unlikely 4th down completion having zero to do with him or his team.  

Well, the point that you miss entirely with that comment is that poor teams sometimes make the playoffs and records are often driven by SOS or SoW (wins).

LOL no it doesn't.  

When I say a QB is a below average QB, that's what I mean and it's the truth of him as a player.

Those Tyrod Taylor playoff years with Rex Ryan were great.

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You are taking a shot towards my intelligence when I never said "strength of schedule" and only said first place schedule.  

Here's what a first place schedule means.

The Bills finish 1st in the AFCE.  That means they will play the 1st place team in the AFCW, AFCN and AFCS.

Have you notice the Pats don't play the Chiefs every single year?  Wonder why that is?

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-the-nfls-scheduling-model-can-impact-a-teams-season

"So what looks like a favorable schedule with three bonus last-place teams can actually end up being daunting, and a schedule with three defending division champs might not be that tough at all. No other NFL team has handled these three extra games better over the past two years than the Buffalo Bills, who have had a first-place schedule both years and have gone 5-1 in those games. (The Steelers, Vikings and 49ers have all gone 5-1 as well, but none with a first-place schedule)."

Dude, you always pivot the discussion to a tangential subject when backed into a corner.  It's how you end up at "first place schedule" versus the originally raised subject...strength of schedule.  No one's talking about "first place schedule" except you. Same tactic used by another low-grade poster who shall remain nameless, but decided to turn the WR group room thread into the WR/TE discussion. 

Stick to the subject and quit the quibbling, conflation, and ridiculous pivots.  Until then, you're not a serious TSW poster. 

22 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Sean and his defense isn't willing to ramp it up come playoff time then prepare for the same results. You gotta be ready to out scheme your opponent. Predictability will always be one of McD's greatest flaws.

I dont disagree here... I think he thrives on consistency, his teams are talented enough to hang in every game.. and typically do... but playoff time you need to raise it another level and that may mean you need to adjust your mundane consistency to more appropriate risk taking as teams have an entire year and body of work to scheme your team. I feel like if you throw the old the way we have always done it you and up at a disadvantage especially with teams that are as or maybe even marginally more talented then you. Specifically KC who I think pound for pound is more talented. Thing is the more talented team doesnt always win, but coaching becomes more important in those situations... (see Bills/Giants SB).... lets see if he learns. 

Edited by JP51

3 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I dont disagree here... I think he thrives on consistency, his teams are talented enough to hang in every game.. and typically do... but playoff time you need to raise it another level and that may mean you need to adjust your mundane consistency to more appropriate risk taking as teams have an entire year and body of work to scheme your team. I feel like if you throw the old the way we have always done it you and up at a disadvantage especially with teams that are as or maybe even marginally more talented then you. Specifically KC who I think pound for pound is more talented. Thing is the more talented team doesnt always win, but coaching becomes more important in those situations... (see Bills/Giants SB).... lets see if he learns. 

After 8 years on the job. He should have learned by now.

41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Dude, you always pivot the discussion to a tangential subject when backed into a corner.  It's how you end up at "first place schedule" versus the originally raised subject...strength of schedule.  No one's talking about "first place schedule" except you. Same tactic used by another low-grade poster who shall remain nameless, but decided to turn the WR group room thread into the WR/TE discussion. 

Stick to the subject and quit the quibbling, conflation, and ridiculous pivots.  Until then, you're not a serious TSW poster. 

LOL

I brought up first place schedule and you responded with strength of schedule.  You pivoted the discussion genius.  

I will ask you again...genius.  Why haven't other teams, like the really good ones and multiple Super Bowl winners went on a streak like this?  

Why isn't this the norm if the accomplishment isn't really that impressive?

Oh no, I'm not being called a serious poster from a guy who probably flexes in the mirror daily.  

12 minutes ago, Gregg said:

After 8 years on the job. He should have learned by now.

Well, I dont disagree... but he is still here so I am hoping he learns... if he doesnt I am not sure how much longer. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL

I brought up first place schedule and you responded with strength of schedule.  You pivoted the discussion genius.  

I will ask you again...genius.  Why haven't other teams, like the really good ones and multiple Super Bowl winners went on a streak like this?  

Why isn't this the norm if the accomplishment isn't really that impressive?

Oh no, I'm not being called a serious poster from a guy who probably flexes in the mirror daily.  

Bonus points for gaslighting in this thread to claim the original point I made on strength of schedule was actually "first place schedule."  

A true beauty you are.  

We done here.  

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

You fail to mention underachievement given that he has Allen. 

What people fail to realize is that it's not what he's done, it's whether or not he has maximized his opportunities given that he has Allen as his QB.

His playoff failures and underachievements alone possibly reveal that he has not.  

Allen has bailed his ass out more often than most care to admit. 

If he went to another team without one of the to few QBs we'd quickly find out that he's an average at best coach.  

His playoff wins are unimpressive and he can't get past the D Round.  

Referring back to my first post, do you consider Don Shula and Sean Payton underachieving coaches?

Combined, they had 32 seasons with two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and only have 2 Super Bowl appearances between them to show for it (1 win and 1 loss). That averages to 1 Super Bowl appearance every 16 years. Do you want me to go through all of their playoff losses over that time to show you they were as bad as any of McDermott's losses? How about the Steph Diggs miracle catch in Minnesota to knock out the Saints. How is that different from 13 seconds? In fact, New Orleans got knocked out two years in a row with some playoff miracle. And Andy Reid is brought up a lot, as it took him 21 years to reach a Super Bowl despite having  above average to excellent QB play before Mahomes (McNabb and Alex Smith). 

I've heard other posters in the past wish we would have hired Sean Payton when he was available. How would that have been any different? Yes, he won the big one, but only once in 15 years with HOF QB Drew Brees (and no other SB appearances in that time). That would obviously be underachieving according to your standards, but most people still consider him a great coach.

And yeah, it's true of any coach...even the HOFers, if you give them a crappy QB, their team probably won't be great. If you give them an average QB, their team will probably be average, and if you give them an elite QB, they'll probably be pretty good. It's a QB-driven league. Just look at Bill Belichick---considered the greatest coach ever. His record without Brady is 64-82 for a 43.8% win percentage. 

Again, just because a coach has an elite QB it doesn't mean Super Bowls are automatic, especially when you have an all-time team/QB standing in your way (like the Chiefs for us, the Pats for the Colts, and the Bills for the Dolphins back in the day). I don't understand why you guys can't see that. A lot of things need to go right in a season to win a Super Bowl. In 2022, just about everything went wrong for the Bills, from before the season even started (and some of you want to ignore that as if the coaches and players are robots and aren't affected by life and outside circumstances). And yes, we lost to the Chiefs 3 times in the playoffs. The first time (in the AFC championship game), the Bills weren't quite ready yet---the Chiefs were a better, more-seasoned team at that point (and the refs helped the Chiefs a lot too). And the other two losses were each literally 1 or 2 plays from being Bills victories (and that is despite our defense being decimated last year). We aren't getting blown out by them. 

But, some of you guys refuse to acknowledge any context to how or why our seasons have turned out as they did. Nope, just we have Josh Allen, we should be in the Super Bowl every year. And since we're not, McDermott sucks. Again, McDermott would be snatched up immediately if he left or was fired from the Bills.

Despite the defensive let-downs in a couple of the playoff games, over the last 5 years, McDermott's defense is:

-1st in fewest points surrendered

-2nd in fewest yards surrendered [only 291 yards behind the 49ers (or 3.4 yards/game)]

-3rd in First downs surrendered

-2nd in Third down conversions surrendered

-2nd in turnovers (behind the Steelers by only one turnover)

-7th in sacks (tied with the 49ers, only 2 behind the Chiefs)

And we've never had a star-studded defense. That is a lot of consistent production from that side of the ball. But, that must be all Josh Allen too. They may not have been that elite, intimidating defense, but if you are surrendering the fewest amount of points, yards, and first downs, you are going to win a lot of games---regardless of your QB.

Maybe you don't think McDermott can win the big games...that's fine. But to say he is average at best...meaning you really think he is below average, seems ridiculous to me when he has the second most wins of any coach and the best defense over the last 5 years. What are you basing your opinion on? 13 seconds and the Bengals playoff loss only?

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You and everyone knows it's not the same team game it was. It really is a QB and 52 other guys. No QB and the other 52 really don't matter.