Bills have not lost by more than 6 points in last 40 games (NFL Record)

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

Who says I haven’t enjoyed the ride?

But we are all in it to win it. That’s the name of the game.

For all of he accomplishments of the Bills since 2017, all they have to show for it is one AFCCG (which they got destroyed in) appearance, is disappointing. FACT.

Disappointing is an interesting word. Who was more disappointing? McDermott’s Bills or Levy’s Bills?

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Disappointing is an interesting word. Who was more disappointing? McDermott’s Bills or Levy’s Bills?

Good question. I would say Levy's simply because they had gotten to the big game 4 times and couldn't get it done. While there have been many painful losses in the Bills history like MCM, 13 seconds. Nothing will compare to the most painful loss of wide right.

Edited by Gregg

8 hours ago, Rubes said:

During the drought, often they were. We yearned for meaningful games in December (much less January).

Oh, gotcha. I didn't realize you were talking about the drought.

12 hours ago, todd said:

The number of people whining and trying to discount this amazing stat in this thread is insanity. Why don't you settle down and enjoy the friggin' ride? Jeez. Life is too precious and short to be so miserable. 

I am convinced that there are a few posters that wake up every morning and their first thought is "let me check TBD to see if there are any positive posts that I must crap on"! 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

My comment relates only to the first stat posted: 

Bills have not lost by more than 6 points in their past 40 games, which is now an NFL record and counting.

This single stat does not co-relate necessarily to being dominant. Other Bills stats may prove they are dominant. 

Legalizing sports gambling has paved the way for more statistical analysis in sports than ever which on TSW can support or diminish poster opinions.  This usually means taking a statistic and delving deeper beyond that stat though.  Requires an understanding how stats should be used and which ones matter over others.  

This point about not losing by more than 6 in the past 40 games means almost nothing.  In that 40 game window we're talking about games like the inexplicable Minnesota loss at home in 2022.  

Also doesn't illustrate the games they played to the level of their competition like the losses by 2 at Miami and 3 at NYJ in 2022 or the opener last year.  Given the competition, losing by less than 1 TD in those games isn't something to celebrate.  

The Bills' last 3 years have had 2 constants: some level of excellence at the start of the season (weeks 2-5 in 2021, Weeks 1-2 in 2022, Weeks 2-4 in 2023) followed by the mid-season swoon that starts around week 6 and goes to about week 13 from 2021-23.  That's what needs to change in 2024.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

33 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Good question. I would say Levy's simply because they had gotten to the big game 4 times and couldn't get it done. While there have been many painful losses in the Bills history like MCM, 13 seconds. Nothing will compare to the most painful loss of wide right.

I’ve never been the type of fan that wants to fire everyone for losing in the playoffs. Not saying any type is the wrong type. I’ve never been angry or disappointed for finishing second or 3rd or 4th. It definitely hurts, but it just makes me want it more. I’m not satisfied but I just look at it differently. If we’re close I don’t believe in changing the plan, I believe in adding to the talent.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, njbuff said:

And another stat that should make Bills fans infuriated about not winning the SB.

All these stats about the Bills being so good, but there’s nothing to show for it.

Screams underachievement. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, njbuff said:

Well, if his defense doesn’t find a way to do its job this time around in the postseason, McDermott knows he’ll be VERY close to losing his job.

If only.

Pegula seems to love McD and doesn't care as long as the PSL money continues to flow in.  

McD's not likely going anywhere barring us not making the playoffs or possibly losing to an inferior team in the WC round.  Divisional round loses are the expectation.  

If he goes it'll likely be the national media that drives it with Pegula.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Legalizing sports gambling has paved the way for more statistical analysis in sports than ever which on TSW can support or diminish poster opinions.  This usually means taking a statistic and delving deeper beyond that stat though.  Requires an understanding how stats should be used and which ones matter over others.  

This point about not losing by more than 6 in the past 40 games means almost nothing.  In that 40 game window we're talking about games like the inexplicable Minnesota loss at home in 2022.  

Also doesn't illustrate the games they played to the level of their competition like the losses by 2 at Miami and 3 at NYJ in 2022 or the opener last year.  Given the competition, losing by less than 1 TD in those games isn't something to celebrate.  

The Bills' last 3 years have had 2 constants: some level of excellence at the start of the season (weeks 2-5 in 2021, Weeks 1-2 in 2022, Weeks 2-4 in 2023) followed by the mid-season swoon that starts around week 6 and goes to about week 13 from 2021-23.  That's what needs to change in 2024.  

A 40 game window is a bigger sample size than a few cherry picked games where they didn't play very well.  

You are picking random games over multiple seasons to try to discredit a record we own.  

It shows that we are generally in every game even when we lose....not to mention we have played a 1st place schedule the last 4 years.

11 hours ago, folz said:

Nothing to show for it?

In the last 7 years (under McDermott):

78-47 record (that's a lot of wins that we've got to enjoy)

4 AFC East titles

6 playoff appearances in 7 years

5 playoff wins

Over the last 5 years:

We have won more games than anyone except for the Chiefs

We have given up the fewest amount of points in the NFL

We've scored the 4th most points in that span

I know, you are probably saying, "that's exactly my point, look at those stats...and no Super Bowl?" But, I guarantee you, if McDermott were fired tomorrow and he brought his resume to other teams, not one of them would say his resume had nothing to show. They understand how tough it is to win it all.

I've said this before---some of you guys think a Super Bowl should be automatic with an elite QB. It's not.

-Drew Brees (future HOF, top 5 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 20 years (with Sean Payton as his coach for most of his career)

-Peyton Manning (HOF, top 3 all-time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in his first 13 years with Indy (HOF Tony Dungy coaching a good chunk)

-Dan Marino (HOF, top 10 all-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (loss) in 17 years (with HOF Don Shula as his coach)

-Aaron Rodgers (future HOF, top 10 All-time QB): 1 Super Bowl appearance (win) in 19 seasons 

-Brett Favre (HOF, top 10-12 All-Time QB): 2 Super Bowl appearances (1 win) in 20 years (Mike Holmgren coaching for much of his career)

So, that is a total of 89 seasons from these top-10 All-Time QBs (who all had excellent to HOF coaching for most of their careers) and only 4 Super Bowl wins between them (7 Super Bowl appearances). So, that means there were 82 seasons (82 of 89) where these HOF QBs didn't make the Super Bowl (that's 92% of their careers that they didn't even make a Super Bowl appearance). Even if we add Peyton's time (and SBs) in Denver, it is 84 of 93 seasons not making a Super Bowl (or 90% of the time). Just because we have Josh doesn't make it automatic. Part of the problem for Peyton and Dan Marino, of course, were Brady/Pats and Kelly/Bills, respectively. Similar to Josh with Mahomes/Chiefs. Plus there is luck, injuries, salary caps, etc. to weigh in each season. 

And have you forgotten:

-New Year's Eve 2017/2018? The Bills breaking the drought made that one of the best New Year's Eves of my life.

-The perfect playoff game against our most hated team, the Pats...watching Hoodie throw his telephone

-Despite the loss, probably one of the greatest playoff games ever played (against the Chiefs 2021/2022)

-Owning the Dolphins in the regular season and playoffs

-Josh being developed by the Bills into a generational QB, despite the majority of the NFL, media, and fans saying he'd be a bust

-Josh's hurdles, Diggs being a top-3 receiver

-Kyle Williams' last game, scoring a TD

-Two no-name safeties turning into the best tandem in the league

-The Thanksgiving Day wins

-The whole Damar Hamlin situation and how the coaches and players handled that

Etc., Etc., Etc.

Did you really not enjoy or feel a part of any of that? What is the Buddhist saying, "It's about the journey, not the destination." Look, we all want the Bills to win a Super Bowl, but we should also be grateful for what we do have. I have had a blast watching the Bills over the last seven years, and I feel bad if not winning a SB has allowed some of you to have not enjoyed this time or to discount how much fun it has been. Which is too bad, because eras like this do not come around often. 

You fail to mention underachievement given that he has Allen. 

What people fail to realize is that it's not what he's done, it's whether or not he has maximized his opportunities given that he has Allen as his QB.

His playoff failures and underachievements alone possibly reveal that he has not.  

Allen has bailed his ass out more often than most care to admit. 

If he went to another team without one of the to few QBs we'd quickly find out that he's an average at best coach.  

His playoff wins are unimpressive and he can't get past the D Round.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If only.

Pegula seems to love McD and doesn't care as long as the PSL money continues to flow in.  

McD's not likely going anywhere barring us not making the playoffs or possibly losing to an inferior team in the WC round.  Divisional round loses are the expectation.  

If he goes it'll likely be the national media that drives it with Pegula.  

I agree with you in that McDermott isn't getting fired anytime soon. He has done a nice job building a winning culture with the Bills. Before he and Beane came here the Bills were a POS organization. At some point he is going to have to get over the hump and get the Bills to a Super Bowl. Think Andy Reid with the Eagles. Philly eventually moved on from him and Reid had more success in Philly then Sean has had in Buffalo.

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

A 40 game window is a bigger sample size than a few cherry picked games where they didn't play very well.  

You are picking random games over multiple seasons to try to discredit a record we own.  

It shows that we are generally in every game even when we lose....not to mention we have played a 1st place schedule the last 4 years.

Added context to that stat is their strength of schedule was 2021 - t-26th, 2022 - 20th and 2023 - 27th.  

Being in a game against the Jets and losing by 3 is a whole lot different than playingt KC and losing.

This stat doesn't differentiate from that.  It just highlights that games didn't get out of hand. 

Thing about the NFL now is most games are decided by one score and with Josh, I'd expect them to be in every game.  

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Added context to that stat is their strength of schedule was 2021 - t-26th, 2022 - 20th and 2023 - 27th.  

Being in a game against the Jets and losing by 3 is a whole lot different than playingt KC and losing.

This stat doesn't differentiate from that.  It just highlights that games didn't get out of hand. 

Thing about the NFL now is most games are decided by one score and with Josh, I'd expect them to be in every game.  

Then why haven't other good teams been on a streak like this then?  Are we the only good team that hasn't had a let down game or something?  

They won the division 4 years in a row meaning they will play the other 1st place teams in the conference.  That is playing a 1st place schedule.

It’s okay to be positive and realize the Bills are close while also realizing that this stat in the grand scheme doesn’t matter if they never hold the trophy 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You fail to mention underachievement given that he has Allen. 

What people fail to realize is that it's not what he's done, it's whether or not he has maximized his opportunities given that he has Allen as his QB.

His playoff failures and underachievements alone possibly reveal that he has not.  

Allen has bailed his ass out more often than most care to admit. 

If he went to another team without one of the to few QBs we'd quickly find out that he's an average at best coach.  

His playoff wins are unimpressive and he can't get past the D Round.  

When we win, it's because of Allen.

When we lose, it's because of McDermott.

Well we only have one example....he had a below average starting QB and went 9-7.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I agree with you in that McDermott isn't getting fired anytime soon. He has done a nice job building a winning culture with the Bills. Before he and Beane came here the Bills were a POS organization. At some point he is going to have to get over the hump and get the Bills to a Super Bowl. Think Andy Reid with the Eagles. Philly eventually moved on from him and Reid had more success in Philly then Sean has had in Buffalo.

Winning creates a winning culture and Allen is responsible for our winning, almost exclusively.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When we win, it's because of Allen.

When we lose, it's because of McDermott.

Well we only have one example....he had a below average starting QB and went 9-7.  

With a -57 point differential and the worst point differential to ever have made the playoffs in NFL history;

only on the merits of the unlikeliest of 4th-down plays by another team, ... and Dalton; 

With the worst overall performance by said QB in his three seasons here; 

while beating a handful of 4, 5, and 6 win teams that season in addition to the last-seeded Falcons and Alex-Smith led Chiefs; 

and losing in the Wild Card round with one of the worst couple offensive performances of that season.  

Two other 9-7 teams that were far more qualified to "make the playoffs" that but that lost the tiebreaker, and both of which had point differentials of +92 and +83, for deltas of 149 and 140 over ours, which is nearly 10 ppg.  

If that isn't significant in the discussion ... 

Either way, he underachieved with Taylor too that season, which should be obvious since he got less out of Taylor than Ryan did.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Then why haven't other good teams been on a streak like this then?  Are we the only good team that hasn't had a let down game or something?  

They won the division 4 years in a row meaning they will play the other 1st place teams in the conference.  That is playing a 1st place schedule.

Because McD is a high floor/not high enough ceiling coach.

We are in the midst of a historic under achievement period when measured by the ceiling. 
    The fact that he has Josh is an exclamation point on the above statement. I’m not excluding Beane from it either.

This year we get to see reboot #1. There is an apparent new offensive philosophy. We all have our opinions and will see who is right at the end of the season.