Bills have not lost by more than 6 points in last 40 games (NFL Record)

Bills have not lost by more than 6 points in their past 40 games, which is now an NFL record and counting.  I just thought that was pretty impressive as I wouldn't have thought that. 

For as much flak as Allen and especially McD can get sometimes, they both win a lot of games and when they don't they are still right there in the game. 

But I didn't post this to debate the merits of Allen or McD (as I am sure this will trigger some McD people lol) or anything...when I saw it made me just appreciate more what a difference it is now compared to the dark years where games were often looking bleak or out of reach by halftime.  And I think some of that just gets lost in all the bickering and arguing over trivial things around here sometimes.  And it is yet another reason that despite a lot of changes on both sides of the ball, there is still reason for us to be the favorites in the East and room for optimism around here.  

#GOBILLS

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills have not lost by more than 6 points in their past 40 games, which is now an NFL record and counting.  I just thought that was pretty impressive as I wouldn't have thought that. 

For as much flak as Allen and especially McD can get sometimes, they both win a lot of games and when they don't they are still right there in the game. 

But I didn't post this to debate the merits of Allen or McD (as I am sure this will trigger some McD people lol) or anything...when I saw it made me just appreciate more what a difference it is now compared to the dark years where games were often looking bleak or out of reach by halftime.  And think some of that just gets lost in all the bickering and arguing over trivial things around here sometimes.  And it is yet another reason that despite a lot of changes on both sides of the ball, there is still reason for us to be the favorites in the East and room for optimism around here.  

#GOBILLS

...and seasons were over by November...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But I didn't post this to debate the merits of Allen or McD (as I am sure this will trigger some McD people lol) or anything...when I saw it made me just appreciate more what a difference it is now compared to the dark years where games were often looking bleak or out of reach by halftime.  And I think some of that just gets lost in all the bickering and arguing over trivial things around here sometimes.  And it is yet another reason that despite a lot of changes on both sides of the ball, there is still reason for us to be the favorites in the East and room for optimism around here.  

#GOBILLS

It’s entertainment. Even when we lose it’s pretty darn interesting, and I appreciate that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

*regular season. Bengald beat us by 17 in the playoffs. 

But it is why I throw that game out. The Bills for whatever reason never showed up that day. They looked flat. Josh looked like a zombie and I think they were done the moment the game started. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But it is why I throw that game out. The Bills for whatever reason never showed up that day. They looked flat. Josh looked like a zombie and I think they were done the moment the game started. 

Yup.  There was a convergence of circumstances that hit the Bills as a whole that day...it is indeed a "throwaway" game that happened at the worst time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

And another stat that should make Bills fans infuriated about not winning the SB.

All these stats about the Bills being so good, but there’s nothing to show for it.

There’s probably some correlation between the two, honestly. McDermott’s preferred defense is to bend but don’t break, so unless the opponent can consistently stop Allen while at the same time scoring tons of points (how many teams can do both?), games we lose have a propensity to be close ones. 

But McD’s defense also falters in the playoffs when teams are putting it all on the line and being more aggressive. It’s hard to expect McD to start being a different coach come playoff time, he’s going to stick with his process of what he knows. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

There’s probably some correlation between the two, honestly. McDermott’s preferred defense is to bend but don’t break, so unless the opponent can consistently stop Allen while at the same time scoring tons of points (how many teams can do both?), games we lose have a propensity to be close ones. 

But McD’s defense also falters in the playoffs when teams are putting it all on the line and being more aggressive. It’s hard to expect McD to start being a different coach come playoff time, he’s going to stick with his process of what he knows. 

Well, if his defense doesn’t find a way to do its job this time around in the postseason, McDermott knows he’ll be VERY close to losing his job.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We didn't stand a chance considering everything that went down that year. But the bottom line is with Josh "you're in every game".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We didn't stand a chance considering everything that went down that year. But the bottom line is with Josh "you're in every game".

Wasn't true that night sadly. We didn't get Josh.

Excellent stat though I take exception to "consistently dominant." That stat shows we are consistently very good and/or competitive. Dominating teams involves winning by a large margin or consistently beating the same team over and over. The Bills may be dominant with some teams but a) this stat doesn't show that and b) it doesn't apply to the entire league.

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

If Sean and his defense isn't willing to ramp it up come playoff time then prepare for the same results. You gotta be ready to out scheme your opponent. Predictability will always be one of McD's greatest flaws.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they were just mentally spent from all the crap that happened during the year...you could kind of see it the week before when they almost let Skylar Thompson come back and beat them.

• Agree 1