Bills sign safety Kareem Jackson

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Eh.  This season's Christian Kirksey

Agreed.

I don't think they would have made this signing if Edwards wasn't expected to miss weeks of camp due to injury. I think it's as simple as Kareem Jackson being next up on their list of available/affordable free agents at the position, so he got the call.

For those asking "why not Justin Simmons?", I presume the answer is either:

A) Not looking to spend what Simmons is asking for 

- or -
B) Not looking to promise a starting role to a guy like Simmons

Whereas Justin Simmons is likely looking to sign somewhere that he can start at safety, I suspect they view Jackson as a guy who is willing to come in and compete and, if he doesn't win a starting job, they can either cut with little financial pain involved or count on as veteran depth.

It won't surprise me if Jackson ends up starting, and it won't surprise me if he ends up not making the 53 man roster. Hopefully Bishop/Hamlin and Rapp step up and we don't have to count on a head-hunting 36 year old to start at safety, but at the end of the day....may the best man win.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

How can he go on PUP?

Yeah sorry I meant IR ... Can't be on PUP if he's practiced.  

Hed make the 53 then be moved to IR if he can't go to start the year. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

I don't think they would have made this signing if Edwards wasn't expected to miss weeks of camp due to injury. I think it's as simple as Kareem Jackson being next up on their list of available/affordable free agents at the position, so he got the call.

For those asking "why not Justin Simmons?", I presume the answer is either:

A) Not looking to spend what Simmons is asking for 

- or -
B) Not looking to promise a starting role to a guy like Simmons

Whereas Justin Simmons is likely looking to sign somewhere that he can start at safety, I suspect they view Jackson as a guy who is willing to come in and compete and, if he doesn't win a starting job, they can either cut with little financial pain involved or count on as veteran depth.

It won't surprise me if Jackson ends up starting, and it won't surprise me if he ends up not making the 53 man roster. Hopefully Bishop/Hamlin and Rapp step up and we don't have to count on a head-hunting 36 year old to start at safety, but at the end of the day....may the best man win.

You think they keep 5 safeties though? I think the only way he makes the 53 is if one of the safeties ends up on IR.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnNord said:

You think they keep 5 safeties though? I think the only way he makes the 53 is if one of the safeties ends up on IR.

I could see either Edwards (hamstring) or Bishop (arm) starting the season on PUP or IR (returning after four weeks), clearing the way for Jackson to make the roster.

3 hours ago, Starr-Bills said:

Played last year with the texans, seems like a cheap way to try the new offense vs the Houston D scheme. 

Dude, the Bills are not going to sign one safety to play "the Houston D scheme" against the offense while the rest of the team is playing their roles and responsibilities within a play call of the Bills D scheme. 

That's not how it works.

Now maybe the coaches want to pick his brains some about elements of the Houston D scheme and what they could incorporate, that could be.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I could see either Edwards (hamstring) or Bishop (arm) starting the season on PUP or IR (returning after four weeks), clearing the way for Jackson to make the roster.

Still 6 weeks until Week 1.  Hopefully it doesn’t happen.  

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The Bills kept 5 safeties last year by some listings, but one of them was Cam Lewis (who as we know is also the backup Nickel and has played CB in a pinch)

Which I think amounts to agreeing with you - they're not going to keep 5 guys who just play safety.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Do we even know yet what Bishop's arm injury is?

Edited by Beck Water

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dude, the Bills are not going to sign one safety to play "the Houston D scheme" against the offense while the rest of the team is playing their roles and responsibilities within a play call of the Bills D scheme. 

That's not how it works.

Now maybe the coaches want to pick his brains some about elements of the Houston D scheme and what they could incorporate, that could be.

Obviously they are not going to have him play it. Obviously they are going to pick his brain but they might also want to try a few things to that Huston would do to give the o a chance to look at how things work vs a different scheme. Peace, we’re on the same page here. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s retired.

I mean, one can safely assume that this signing probably wouldn't have taken place if they thought he was coming back. But he still hasn't officially announced he's retired.

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Hard to hit someone when they're running by you. They're terrible in coverage. 

Definitely not happy about our Safety situation. 

Why not offer Simmons a sweet 1 year "prove it" deal? Obviously he's not fielding any offers of top money multi year deals. 

Hyde has to be quietly on the back burner. 

If Simmons were something that was going to happen, we wouldn't have signed, re-signed, and Drafted all of Cole Bishop, Taylor Rapp, Mike Edwards, Cam Lewis, Kareem Jackson, and Dee Delaney. 

We only carry 4 Safeties. So as it is, we're going to have to cut 4 from the Safety room (also including Damar Hamlin and Kendall Williamson). I don't see us signing a SEVENTH Safety contract this offseason and cutting 5 from a field of 9. 

If Simmons were something that we were interested in doing, at least 1 of those many moves wouldn't have been done and Simmons would be here already.

The only scenario where I see it being a small possibility is if both a.) Cole Bishop's injury is a long term one and they IR him and b.) Mike Edwards is going to miss all of Training Camp and the Pre-Season and they move on from him. But personally, I don't think that's a thing (namely derailing Bishop's development) we should hope for to get 1 year out of Justin Simmons.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Just now, gjv said:

Taking off the rose colored glasses I’m seeing Safety as a major concern.

Hamlin's bad and shouldn't be anywhere near being a starter, but that's where the Bills are at right now.

Safety is OFFICIALLY a MAJOR concern. 

But if anyone can work around it, it's McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1