Training Camp 7/30

44 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Based on Camp reports, seems we should be feeling pretty comfortable with Douglas, Benford, Elam & Ingram as our outside CB group on the 53?

Elam sounds like he's legitimately pushing to start if the two guys ahead of him weren't both very good and Ingram just stays being solid, building on prior camps when given opportunity.

I’m very confidant in that group-  if Hardy can prove to be a good backup in the slot I wonder if Cam gets cuts. He was decent last season after being terrible in 22.  I thought his job may be safe but now with the nunbers at safety, he may be on the outside looking in if Hardy shows adequate as a backup for Taron.  

I think we have 4 quality boundary corners.  I really like Ingram as #4.   CB is set imo.  

Eager to see how these S’s sort themselves out.

38 minutes ago, Magox said:

I know its only training camp but I've been very high on Ray Davis for a while now.   I think he's the most sure bet player in this draft for the Bills to be a meaningful contributor.   His quickness, agility, strength, catching ability and nose for the goal line are going to make him a solid player for this offense.   I wouldn't be surprised that at some point in the year that he gets as many snaps as Cook.  

Ray Davis will be a fan favorite for 4 years and a nemesis of James Cook fantasy owners this year and next.  

Love his squattiness

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m very confidant in that group-  if Hardy can prove to be a good backup in the slot I wonder if Cam gets cuts. He was decent last season after being terrible in 22.  I thought his job may be safe but now with the nunbers at safety, he may be on the outside looking in if Hardy shows adequate as a backup for Taron.  

I think we have 4 quality boundary corners.  I really like Ingram as #4.   CB is set imo.  

Eager to see how these S’s sort themselves out.

Would love to see us have a true slot backup for Johnson.   Hardy has good tape, albeit undersized.  Not sure he's who I'd want to see if he can handle the rigors of an entire NFL season as starting slot, but as backup slot/returner... I think that's best case scenario if he shows enough to warrant this. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

So this is where people have to be careful when they reference those NextGen separation stats or Matt Harmon's reception perception charts. Coleman does not have multiple yards of separation on either of these plays - quite the opposite. They both would chart as negative plays according to those metrics. But what Coleman does give his QB is a window to fit the ball because of his length and body control and hand/eye coordination. And that's a WR's job. Not to show up favorably on Matt Harmon's chart, but to give his QB a throwing window and finish the catch.

I'm growing more confident by the day that what I saw on Coleman's college tape is in fact translating to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

He moves pretty well for a guy who broke his leg not all that long ago, 👍🤞

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This seems to me like Von needs to be a situational pass rusher who gets more reps late in the season and playoffs. NOT starting.  He has too much wear and tear on his body as is, coming off 2 injuries and needs to stay healthy and fresh.

I pretty much agree. Luckily we've got two young horses in Rousseooueuo and Epenesa that can eat up snaps

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Would love to see us have a true slot backup for Johnson.   Hardy has good tape, albeit undersized.  Not sure he's who I'd want to see if he can handle the rigors of an entire NFL season as starting slot, but as backup slot/returner... I think that's best case scenario if he shows enough to warrant this. 

Yeah he might be a year of nfl weight training away from being able compete with the size and strength of nfl WRs and RBs

42 minutes ago, syhuang said:

I tend to think of Mack Hollins as this year's Jake Kumerow or Trent Sherfield - the #5 or #6 WR who is primarily there for ST but can hopefully play well enough to give the starter a breather or fill in for injury.  In terms of receiving chops, though, I don't ever remember Kumerow or Sherfield "going off" with the 1s like this.  Maybe I just don't remember

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We will see. 

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I tend to think of Mack Hollins as this year's Jake Kumerow or Trent Sherfield - the #5 or #6 WR who is primarily there for ST but can hopefully play well enough to give the starter a breather or fill in for injury.  In terms of receiving chops, though, I don't ever remember Kumerow or Sherfield "going off" with the 1s like this.  Maybe I just don't remember

Don't remember it with Kumerow but Sherfield had a couple of standout days in camp last year. Didn't mean much once the season started. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So what's up with all the route jumping?  Are our DBs just really familiar with our playbook or are we too predictable in what we're running?

One thing it seems to me from the clips and reports we see, is more receivers willing to climb the latter or dive or reach for balls.

Making the extra effort is paying off, that and unlike past seasons there is more opportunities for getting a job  on the 53, jmo, or it’s just the normal swing of the D doing better on a given day, the offense will make adjustments and it will swing back to the “O” shining. 

3 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Josh fumbled at the 1 yard line vs the Vikings and got Stuffed at the 1 yd line vs the Titans both resulting in losses.  My point is, a QB sneak TD is not a sure thing from the 1.  

The guy you are quoting said it is basically, which is an acknowledgement that it is not guaranteed, but is a high enough probablity considering who we have under center.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

So what's up with all the route jumping?  Are our DBs just really familiar with our playbook or are we too predictable in what we're running?

It's because, as Brady mentioned, it's a "3rd and long day" at practice (i.e. simulating obvious passing situations).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Reporters are hyping him up for sure.  I don't think the team is particularly hyping him up at this stage.  Brady was asked a question about Shavers and responded with praise.  Same as every individual player he's asked about.

Actually...Beane, McD, Allen, and Brady have all talked up praise on him without being prompted.  In fact, that is why a reporter probably asked Brady about Shavers because its been the team talking about him a lot that got the media interested enough to even ask questions.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2