Training Camp 7/30

11 hours ago, Diggstheprocess said:

It was a clean catch with both feet down… I was right there about 20 feet away and have a video… both referees with perfect angles signaled a touchdown as well. 

Not sure how to add photos but I have them…says my files are too big to upload.

Thanks. It shows how difficult it is to make judgments based on one video. It just reinforces the fact that Coleman is having an outstanding camp.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

“Very impressed,” coach Sean McDermott said of Shavers. “Even if you go back to his rookie season, he's so consistent with his approach. Knows what we're doing offensively, systematically. When you look up consistent in the dictionary, like his face shows up in my mind because he's so consistent, and at a young age.

That's clearly McD responding to a question along the lines of, "What are your thoughts on how Tyrell Shavers is looking in camp?"  And it's effusive praise, which is great.  And also, McD gives praise to every single player that he's asked a specific question about.  I'm very pro-Shavers, but the only "unprompted" praise I've seen from the Bills thus far has been Beane listing Shavers first when talking about the WRs "already in the room".  IIRC, that was around draft time, in response to a question about the Bills' needs at WR.

No one is asking about Justin Shorter, because he hasn't looked good in camp.  But if beat reporters were asking about Shorter every time McDermott or Brady gives a press conference, you'd still see a bunch of really positive quotes about him, because that's how the Bills coaching staff rolls.  (And for the record, I think they have the right approach - give the corrective feedback in person, but the positive feedback is fair game for public consumption.)

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Coach’s coach. Players make plays. If it was as simple as “well Mahomes has Andy Reid, that’s why he’s so successful…” Bill Belichick, who some believe is the greatest coach in league history, wouldn’t be a sub .500 HC without one Tom Brady. Brady deserves more credit than Belichick for those rings just as Mahomes deserves more than Reid. How many championships has Reid won without Mahomes? I’ll give you a hint: same number Belichick has won without Brady.

He still went to the Super Bowl with Donovan Mcnabb and almost won it 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Joe Marino said something interesting yesterday. He said this is the best Allen has looked in camp.

Im not sure what to make of it.

I would agree with him. Obviously he's already an elite QB, but his throws over the middle into layered coverage, along with his anticipation throws look improved. He clearly worked at it. In addition, there's no small arm adjustments going on caused by effects of a shoulder tweak, elbow, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I would agree with him. Obviously he's already an elite QB, but his throws over the middle into layered coverage, along with his anticipation throws look improved. He clearly worked at it. In addition, there's no small arm adjustments going on caused by effects of a shoulder tweak, elbow, etc.

People forget the injuries he has gutted through the last two years without ever complaining or bringing it up at all - but he had to adjust to be able to throw at all with the injuries

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

If Kromer wants McGovern at Center, then I want McGovern at Center. 

I'm pretty much cool with anything he wants to do at this point.

Does that include anything to do with beach chairs?

28 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Donovan McNabb was a very good quarterback... so there's that too.

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It demonstrates the power of video.  Out impressions of a player are shaped a lot by video, and this video of what probably isn't a touchdown changes the impression we get.   

However, the totality of the camp reports we are seeing and hearing is that the guy is doing great.

I've said something to this effect. It all I was hearing was "Watch Coleman make this catch" it's been a steady drumbeat that he is holding his own with vets, that's he's been working on footwork and defense recognition, and constant examples of superior body control on catches.

At this point I honestly don't think it's crazy to say he's made a case to be included Week 1 (at the very least) in Red Zone packages.

It's hard not to love the guy

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

And what do you know about McGovern that tells you he can’t do those things?

He’s having trouble with snaps-  that’s a big deal for sure-  it’s also something that can improved upon with repetition.  

The coaching have been raving about everything else he brings to the table at C.  

It's the snaps that are my big concern.  It's not going to get easier to snap the ball cleanly when he's facing a 300+ lb behemoth who considers him the enemy and is hair triggered to knock his block off before trying to flatten the QB he is trying to protect**, when the game time weather is "monsoon" or "iceberg" etc

**as oppose to a 300+lb behemoth who is hair triggered to knock his block off as the bestest of bros

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

It's the snaps that are my big concern.  It's not going to get easier to snap the ball cleanly when he's facing a 300+ lb behemoth who considers him the enemy and is hair triggered to knock his block off before trying to flatten the QB he is trying to protect**, when the game time weather is "monsoon" or "iceberg" etc

**as oppose to a 300+lb behemoth who is hair triggered to knock his block off as the bestest of bros

I am not at all concerned at this point.  It is very early and they will need lots of reps to get on the same page.  Even a veteran center would need significant adjustment time with a new QB typically.  

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I take that to mean that Allen may be about to make another big jump in performance similar to what he did in 2020. 

Could be the case, 🤞he appears to be fitter / more trim body wise, I suspect he has been busier during this past post season than some here seem to think, he’s a competitive guy, and isn’t likely to sit on his laurels as the saying goes, 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Poor choice of word on my part saying he took RG from the start.  He wasn’t named starter til later on but Torrance played with the 1st team in each of the preseason games.  Once he was in there with the starters, he was never taken out and replaced by Bates.  The only “battle part was waiting for McD to name him starter.  I recall being very confidant he’d start late august.  

Bernard was in year 2. 

I highlighted bernard more for the fact that he didnt compete in the MLB competition cause of injury and he won it still.  So Bishop missing extended time and still winning wouldn't be unprecedented. 

I dont think the injury erases all chances he starts for reasons above but it does significant lower his chances.  Seems to be asking a lot for him to be a rookie in a competition (Torrence) and be hurt (Bernard) and then still win.  If it was one then fine but both working out is a lot which i think is your overall point.  

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Even if he goes on IR, Bishop could be back by October. Of course it depends on the injury.

To be clear were saying IR after he makes the team right?  If he goes on IR before cut down to 53 i believe hes out for the season.  So we will see the return of the Reid Ferguson BBQ in the parking lot?

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yup.  McNabb literally gave it away.

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Donovan McNabb was a very good quarterback... so there's that too.

Yup.  He was a solid Tier 2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I highlighted bernard more for the fact that he didnt compete in the MLB competition cause of injury and he won it still.  So Bishop missing extended time and still winning wouldn't be unprecedented. 

I dont think the injury erases all chances he starts for reasons above but it does significant lower his chances.  Seems to be asking a lot for him to be a rookie in a competition (Torrence) and be hurt (Bernard) and then still win.  If it was one then fine but both working out is a lot which i think is your overall point.  

To be clear we’re saying IR after he makes the team right?  If he goes on IR before cut down to 53 i believe hes out for the season.  So we will see the return of the Reid Ferguson BBQ in the parking lot?

I get what you’re saying but  it would be unprecedented as he’s a rookie. Monumental difference between the two imo

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

That’s not possible- I heard it riiiiight here that Allen spent his offseason at celebrity events, golfing, weddings, making commercials, eating, and taking vacations with his girlfriend. He doesn’t have time or motivation to practice!

• Haha (+1) 1