Training Camp 7/30

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LOL...Keon has been the star of camp with highlights coming out pretty much everyday.  Yet we got some people who have been down on Keon not discussing any of those plays but instead wanting to argue about one maybe being out of bounds?  Ok :thumbsup:

And who cares anyway?  It was still an impressive clip showcasing his ability to go get the ball and control it through the ground, if he was out of bounds then its more on where Allen put the ball than Keon anyway.  

But hey...if nit picking this one play amongst a reel of highlights makes you feel better about pessimistic views, then do your thang :)

It demonstrates the power of video.  Out impressions of a player are shaped a lot by video, and this video of what probably isn't a touchdown changes the impression we get.   

However, the totality of the camp reports we are seeing and hearing is that the guy is doing great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It demonstrates the power of video.  Out impressions of a player are shaped a lot by video, and this video of what probably isn't a touchdown changes the impression we get.   

However, the totality of the camp reports we are seeing and hearing is that the guy is doing great.

It was a clean catch with both feet down… I was right there about 20 feet away and have a video… both referees with perfect angles signaled a touchdown as well. 

Not sure how to add photos but I have them…says my files are too big to upload.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Diggstheprocess said:

It was a clean catch with both feet down… I was right there about 20 feet away and have a video… both referees with perfect angles signaled a touchdown as well. 

As a follow up I should say that the DBs probably could’ve had PI flags thrown on them nearly every rep for this entire drill… refs didn’t seem to be there to call penalties…they were there to confirm possessions in bounds (TDs)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Diggstheprocess said:

If you saw it, that’s good enough for me. Especially because it doesn’t matter a lick other than something to talk about now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jeremy and Joe Marino on WGR today. Said he couldn’t separate from Jamarcus Ingram in one on one’s. They weren’t being too negative, just pointing out that separation isn’t his game.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because it reminds me: from everything I've been hearing, keon is at his best when it's actually full offense vs defense - not one on ones. I really like that tendency.

On 7/25/2024 at 10:53 AM, Big Turk said:

Sounds like the "Total Football" concept made famous by the great teams in the Netherlands in the mid 70s and 80s under Johan Cruyff and then FC Barcelona...

Players don't have a position and are pretty much free to go wherever they want and their teammates are expected to see, react and cover them.  Basically it required great spatial awareness to be able to see openings and both exploit them on offense and cover them on defense.

Will be interesting to see what Brady's concepts look like with this transferred to the NFL.

Like Phil Jackson's "Triangle" offense, and Steve Kerr's adaptation of that system with Golden State...but also Brady's version of the E-P in New England, and probably also Shanahan's current system and personnel in San Fran. Always moving, always interchanging, always flowing to find the open play. 

13 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

6'6"?! High school and college height + weight listings are hilarious. Small part of what makes the pre-draft processes so fun. Actual measurements. (Which I think we all anticipate fewer and fewer early round prospects will submit to.)

12 hours ago, syhuang said:

Dang. Snitches get stitches, innit? (So "revealing" here of specific pre-snap looks and post-snap adjustments/concepts.)

12 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Almost certainly nothing, but for the easily-concerned crowd, Bernard is MUCH twitchier and aggressive and fluid than Milano in that 2nd clip at 7 seconds. 

For the record I'm REALLY looking forward to a fully healthy and Bernard next to basically ANY version of Milano. They were looking like an All-Pro duo before London. 

12 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Spencer Brown has low-key Captain potential. 

Aren't captains usually the level-headed dudes?

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jeremy and Joe Marino on WGR today. Said he couldn’t separate from Jamarcus Ingram in one on one’s. They weren’t being too negative, just pointing out that separation isn’t his game.

That was one rep in one on one on the first day of pads.  It served as a wake up call to Keon that we're not playing against air anymore:)

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's actually 241 combined targets, so 200 understates it.  May have missed Hamler, Valdez-Scantling, and/or Claypool, or at least one of 'em.

I understand your irritation, but while we may hope and believe that between whoever makes the team we have the ability to replace those targets, until someone or several someones step up in actual games, the questions will be there.

Gabe Davis's targets last year (and a lot the year before) were incredibly ineffective. He played a million snaps because he's an ox and a physical prototype for the X and especially for that telegraphed inside motion/formation reduction when handing off or running a QB sneak.

Davis of course absolutely blew up a few times over his career when running intermediately and vertically against man-ish (maybe cover-three or quarters) coverages, but overall he was an increasingly net-negative receiving option. Not unlike 2nd half of season and playoff Diggs the last two years. Opponents were mostly able to lock them down (minus "13 seconds" 3 years ago).  

8 hours ago, stevewin said:

- Bernard seemed really hyped both days being physical

- Trubisky looked good to me both days - moved well in pocket, avoided pressure, some nice throws with zip - a couple elite ones.  Looked like a legitimate QB 

- Davis really looks like the real deal to me.  I said yesterday he looks tiny standing around but doesn't look small with the ball in his hands

- I hope Hamler makes the team as returner bc I think he is a legitimate receiver as well.  Dude constantly flashed to me both days (yesterday at first I kept seeing 19 making plays and asking myself who is 19?  dude is balling!  I soon learned) - he is a dog who was playing much bigger than he is - physical fighting for position and going after balls

Love the Bernard, Davis, and Hamler hype. But Mitchell Trubisky, who has some physical tools, increasingly becomes a stiff when the bullets are live. Practice reps are not an authentic preview of his decision making and proficiency against real opposing defenses. One of those backup-level guys who we wind up screaming some version of "Throw it!" at while he double clutches and drifts into pressure. At least when Tyrod Taylor, the king of all overly cautious backups, actually pulled the trigger, his throws were often really accurate. Trubisky will hesitate, then hurry, and throw it into danger. He's like a Kenny Pickett but with adult hands.

4 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Yes lol. Did you see the video of it? He even had a dictionary in his pocket and brought it out. I thought he'd go to the word 'consistent' but he just waved it around the rest of the interview

Better a dictionary than a bible? With the waving and whatnot.

(I'll be here all week, folks.)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LOL...Keon has been the star of camp with highlights coming out pretty much everyday.  Yet we got some people who have been down on Keon not discussing any of those plays but instead wanting to argue about one maybe being out of bounds?  Ok :thumbsup:

And who cares anyway?  It was still an impressive clip showcasing his ability to go get the ball and control it through the ground, if he was out of bounds then its more on where Allen put the ball than Keon anyway.  

But hey...if nit picking this one play amongst a reel of highlights makes you feel better about pessimistic views, then do your thang :)

Don't be silly that is not what is going on. I was very clear I don't think it was completable even if Keon caught it first time. The ball was already beyond the sideline to my eyes. My only criticism is on the Bills social media team in that it an out of bounds catch makes it to a highlights clip up. Which is dumb. 

• Dislike 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
13 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

McGovern is a guard not a center

You’re simply wrong, and ignoring much of what has been said and reported by both McGovern and others.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Why does McDermott always try to fit a round peg into a square hole?

What are you talking about? 

Firstly Aaron Kromer is the OL coach. Second, what are other examples of McDermott trying to fit a round peg into a square hole?

If McGovern is having snap issues into next week then it’s something to worry about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

You’re simply wrong, and ignoring much of what has been said and reported by both McGovern and others.

I'm not wrong at all.

This will be McGoverns 4th year in the league and his entire career he's played guard.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGoCo01.htm

Guard to center is not an easy transition to make.

Center Responsibilities

Calling out blocking assignments: The center may need to make last-second adjustments based on the defensive alignment.

Being the offensive line's captain: The center has a good view of the defense and can alert the other offensive players to potential issues. For example, if a middle linebacker moves up to the line of scrimmage before the snap, the center can let everyone know so the offense can make changes.

Being a long snapper: On special teams formations, the center acts as the long snapper. However, in the NFL, all teams have a dedicated long snapper. 

The center is often considered the quarterback of the offensive line and is responsible for leading the unit. They need to be able to deconstruct the game, learn what everyone is doing, and make instant decisions in games. 

28 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'm not wrong at all.

This will be McGoverns 4th year in the league and his entire career he's played guard.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGoCo01.htm

Guard to center is not an easy transition to make.

Center Responsibilities

Calling out blocking assignments: The center may need to make last-second adjustments based on the defensive alignment.

Being the offensive line's captain: The center has a good view of the defense and can alert the other offensive players to potential issues. For example, if a middle linebacker moves up to the line of scrimmage before the snap, the center can let everyone know so the offense can make changes.

Being a long snapper: On special teams formations, the center acts as the long snapper. However, in the NFL, all teams have a dedicated long snapper. 

The center is often considered the quarterback of the offensive line and is responsible for leading the unit. They need to be able to deconstruct the game, learn what everyone is doing, and make instant decisions in games. 

I dont think they’re just throwing him into the position. This was planned. McGovern mentally will handle center with ease. The snapping is the only concern. McGovern has moved from guard to center at Penn State.

I also feel Kromer really likes David Edwards at LG, he had him in LA. They drafted a quality center as depth, so they aren’t putting all their eggs into McGovern. Nothing wrong letting the rookie develop and learn the offense. As you said, center is considered the QB of the OL.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I remember a big battle between bates and Torrance that only became clear late in preseason. Also remember Bernard missing most of TC battle and getting the nod. I don’t know that it erases his chances of starting if they think he’s the best for it. 

Poor choice of word on my part saying he took RG from the start.  He wasn’t named starter til later on but Torrance played with the 1st team in each of the preseason games.  Once he was in there with the starters, he was never taken out and replaced by Bates.  The only “battle part was waiting for McD to name him starter.  I recall being very confidant he’d start late august.  

Bernard was in year 2. 

• Like (+1) 1