Training Camp 7/30

30 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

“Very impressed,” coach Sean McDermott said of Shavers. “Even if you go back to his rookie season, he's so consistent with his approach. Knows what we're doing offensively, systematically. When you look up consistent in the dictionary, like his face shows up in my mind because he's so consistent, and at a young age.

lol is this an actual quote

3 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

They kind of irritated me today with the stat of Diggs and Gabe saying they have like 200 combined targets, how are we going to replace that production. How about with Keon, Curtis, Hollins, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Shavers, did I miss anyone. Give me a break with this narrative. Pisses me off really.

Cook, Davis, MVS😃

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Who cares about targets?  Someone will get targets no matter what.  All I care about is that they catch the ball.

Exactly this ^^^

This entire BS about about targets is frankly moronic, it’s not like the Bills offense isn’t going to be passing the ball just as many times as last season give or take, the only variance is that different players will be catching those passes, the nfl hype machine is obviously running out of things to blather on about when crap like this starts hitting the airwaves…, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah he might be a year of nfl weight training away from being able compete with the size and strength of nfl WRs and RBs

PSU has a very good weight training program. He did 15 reps on bench press, broad jump of 10.9, and vertical of 42.5. These aren’t going to improve much. Hardy’s problem is size, and he’s not goin to grow. May gain 5-10 lbs, but won’t get taller. He’s very sticky in coverage. Reminds me of nickel Robey, but stronger. I’ll be surprised if he’s cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's actually 241 combined targets, so 200 understates it.  May have missed Hamler, Valdez-Scantling, and/or Claypool, or at least one of 'em.

I understand your irritation, but while we may hope and believe that between whoever makes the team we have the ability to replace those targets, until someone or several someones step up in actual games, the questions will be there.

Do we expect the Bills/Josh to throw less?  Are we saying that without Diggs and Davis the Bills are going to become a 50/50 run pass team?  I do not expect the Bills to suddenly become the Tennessee Titans.  If not, the targets WiLL go somewhere.  The real question is what percentage of those  targets will be caught and with what production.  Color me not worried about replacing Davis’ mediocre production on the targets and snap percentage he received.  It would be an upset if we were not better at that position in total.  As for Diggs, we can do much better than his late season disinterested production.  

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

As others have said let's put the rookie in and let him take his lumps.

McGovern is a guard not a center 

Why does McDermott always try to fit a round peg into a square hole?

I thought Connor said it was his natural position , and wanted to get back to it ?

Maybe knocking off the rust ?

Best time to do it is Camp

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I thought Connor said it was his natural position , and wanted to get back to it ?

Maybe knocking off the rust ?

Best time to do it is Camp

Yes, yes, and yes.  Not time to clutch the pearls just yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

lol is this an actual quote

Yes lol. Did you see the video of it? He even had a dictionary in his pocket and brought it out. I thought he'd go to the word 'consistent' but he just waved it around the rest of the interview

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Exactly this ^^^

This entire BS about about targets is frankly moronic, it’s not like the Bills offense isn’t going to be passing the ball just as many times as last season give or take, the only variance is that different players will be catching those passes, the nfl hype machine is obviously running out of things to blather on about when crap like this starts hitting the airwaves…, 

Especially given that ~half the targets to Davis ended up as dead plays.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is already out even if he catches it cleanly. It isn't close. Odd play to clip up for a highlight.

Probably because the difficulty level on the catch was high with a defender in tight coverage covering Coleman as well as could be expected, and Coleman made the catch.

I’m sure the Bills media department is well aware of the “he can’t separate” following Coleman, so maybe this clip is a reply of “ so what ? “ to those parroting that narrative.

• Like (+1) 1

LOL...Keon has been the star of camp with highlights coming out pretty much everyday.  Yet we got some people who have been down on Keon not discussing any of those plays but instead wanting to argue about one maybe being out of bounds?  Ok :thumbsup:

And who cares anyway?  It was still an impressive clip showcasing his ability to go get the ball and control it through the ground, if he was out of bounds then its more on where Allen put the ball than Keon anyway.  

But hey...if nit picking this one play amongst a reel of highlights makes you feel better about pessimistic views, then do your thang :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

59 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

PSU has a very good weight training program. He did 15 reps on bench press, broad jump of 10.9, and vertical of 42.5. These aren’t going to improve much. Hardy’s problem is size, and he’s not goin to grow. May gain 5-10 lbs, but won’t get taller. He’s very sticky in coverage. Reminds me of nickel Robey, but stronger. I’ll be surprised if he’s cut. 

Yeah, size and strength.  I didn’t say he was gonna get taller and longer.  Gaining 10 lbs could make the difference between staying healthy and not.  

52 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LOL...Keon has been the star of camp with highlights coming out pretty much everyday.  Yet we got some people who have been down on Keon not discussing any of those plays but instead wanting to argue about one maybe being out of bounds?  Ok :thumbsup:

And who cares anyway?  It was still an impressive clip showcasing his ability to go get the ball and control it through the ground, if he was out of bounds then its more on where Allen put the ball than Keon anyway.  

But hey...if nit picking this one play amongst a reel of highlights makes you feel better about pessimistic views, then do your thang :)

Has there ever been this much discussion about one rep on day six of a training camp? It’s beyond futile.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve heard he’s struggling with separation, but that’s what was expected. He’s not a separator. He’s going to be a contested catch guy and a YAC guy.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Exactly this ^^^

samuel will wash out the Davis targets and were better for it. Kincaid will get more and then Coleman is the X factor. If he’s a decent wr we have a better set of receivers. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve heard he’s struggling with separation, but that’s what was expected. He’s not a separator. He’s going to be a contested catch guy and a YAC guy.

I haven't heard any of that and in fact lots of references of him beating guys all camp.  So not sure where you are hearing that because none of the people attending camp reporting on it have mentioned he is struggling with anything.  

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I haven't heard any of that and in fact lots of references of him beating guys all camp.  So not sure where you are hearing that because none of the people attending camp reporting on it have mentioned he is struggling with anything.  

Jeremy and Joe Marino on WGR today. Said he couldn’t separate from Jamarcus Ingram in one on one’s. They weren’t being too negative, just pointing out that separation isn’t his game.

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hear that, but S was one of, if not our biggest question marks going into the season.  He’s our S with the highest value and biggest upside.  Having him for an entire training camp would be very beneficial for speed of his development.  I was really hoping he’d be a starting S out the gate week 1.  Torrance took RG1 from Bates out the gate.  Bates’ OG level of play is to level of S play of Hamlin and Edwards.  

missing time early will probably erase all chances of him starting week 1.  Which is ok…. But I’d have preferred him to be better than the other two from the start. 

I remember a big battle between bates and Torrance that only became clear late in preseason. Also remember Bernard missing most of TC battle and getting the nod. I don’t know that it erases his chances of starting if they think he’s the best for it.