Training Camp 7/30

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'm not wrong at all.

This will be McGoverns 4th year in the league and his entire career he's played guard.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGoCo01.htm

Guard to center is not an easy transition to make.

Center Responsibilities

Calling out blocking assignments: The center may need to make last-second adjustments based on the defensive alignment.

Being the offensive line's captain: The center has a good view of the defense and can alert the other offensive players to potential issues. For example, if a middle linebacker moves up to the line of scrimmage before the snap, the center can let everyone know so the offense can make changes.

Being a long snapper: On special teams formations, the center acts as the long snapper. However, in the NFL, all teams have a dedicated long snapper. 

The center is often considered the quarterback of the offensive line and is responsible for leading the unit. They need to be able to deconstruct the game, learn what everyone is doing, and make instant decisions in games. 

As I said, you have IGNORED most of what McGovern and others have said.  JUST THIS WEEK they were raving about McGovern's communication skills.  He said himself C is his natural position.  I don't care what Dallas did.

You're just wrong, but by all means, keep digging in those heels.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'm not wrong at all.

This will be McGoverns 4th year in the league and his entire career he's played guard.

Center Responsibilities

Calling out blocking assignments: The center may need to make last-second adjustments based on the defensive alignment.

Being the offensive line's captain: The center has a good view of the defense and can alert the other offensive players to potential issues. For example, if a middle linebacker moves up to the line of scrimmage before the snap, the center can let everyone know so the offense can make changes.

Being a long snapper: On special teams formations, the center acts as the long snapper. However, in the NFL, all teams have a dedicated long snapper. 

The center is often considered the quarterback of the offensive line and is responsible for leading the unit. They need to be able to deconstruct the game, learn what everyone is doing, and make instant decisions in games. 

And what do you know about McGovern that tells you he can’t do those things?

He’s having trouble with snaps-  that’s a big deal for sure-  it’s also something that can improved upon with repetition.  

The coaching have been raving about everything else he brings to the table at C.  

11 hours ago, aristocrat said:

samuel will wash out the Davis targets and were better for it. Kincaid will get more and then Coleman is the X factor. If he’s a decent wr we have a better set of receivers. 

Add in Shakir and we will have plenty of receiver options for any amount of target requirements, 

2 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'm not wrong at all.

He started a couple of games at center for Dallas as a rookie and I think has done it in spot duty after that too when their centre missed snaps nicked up. He has mainly been a guard in the NFL, that is true. He hasn't played consistently as a center since he was a freshman in college, but it is not a brand new position to him. 

If Kromer wants McGovern at Center, then I want McGovern at Center. 

I'm pretty much cool with anything he wants to do at this point.  One of the best in the game. 

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Joe Marino said something interesting yesterday. He said this is the best Allen has looked in camp.

Im not sure what to make of it.

I've heard from someone who has been there that he has looked way more focussed than both 2022 and 2023 training camps and he is locked in. That is encouraging but it is still camp. If Josh could have his best season as a Bill that would help us significantly. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I've heard from someone who has been there that he has looked way more focussed than both 2022 and 2023 training camps and he is locked in. That is encouraging but it is still camp. If Josh could have his best season as a Bill that would help us significantly. 

I feel like Josh sees the gap between himself and Mahomes (3 rings) and realizes he has to start closing it.  I'm not suggesting the reason the Bills haven't gotten to the SB is because of Josh (it isn't), but that doesn't mean he's not trying to take on even more responsibility.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Joe Marino said something interesting yesterday. He said this is the best Allen has looked in camp.

Im not sure what to make of it.

I take that to mean that Allen may be about to make another big jump in performance similar to what he did in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I feel like Josh sees the gap between himself and Mahomes (3 rings) and realizes he has to start closing it.  I'm not suggesting the reason the Bills haven't gotten to the SB is because of Josh (it isn't), but that doesn't mean he's not trying to take on even more responsibility.

Most NFL pundits that aren't hot take artists are starting to admit it's Mahomes.. Allen.. and everyone else.  And the reason there's a gap between Mahomes and Allen is due to the Super Bowl rings.

While I think Allen has gotten such a raw deal from his teammates and coaches, in comparison to Mahomes.. there are certain things Allen can, and should, take ownership of. 

The main one, for me, is consistency.  Mahomes, prior to last year, is always good, usually great.   That baseline can be the difference between then 1 seed, a bye, easier path and the 2,3,4 seed etc.  

Two years ago, KC had a bye, Jax, then played the winner of Buf/Cin.  Both Buffalo and Cinci came into that Divisional Game beat up and in the AFC CG, those injuries for CIN began to show.  That 1 seed mattered a whole lot. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Bishop going to be out awhile 

Ugh.  Not what I was hoping to see-  doesn’t mean Bishop is out for an extended period-  but it might.  😞 

Former 3rd rd pick- Smart with a great football IQ- been in the league 4 years and nothing to show for it. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Most NFL pundits that aren't hot take artists are starting to admit it's Mahomes.. Allen.. and everyone else.  And the reason there's a gap between Mahomes and Allen is due to the Super Bowl rings.

While I think Allen has gotten such a raw deal from his teammates and coaches, in comparison to Mahomes.. there are certain things Allen can, and should, take ownership of. 

The main one, for me, is consistency.  Mahomes, prior to last year, is always good, usually great.   That baseline can be the difference between then 1 seed, a bye, easier path and the 2,3,4 seed etc.  

Two years ago, KC had a bye, Jax, then played the winner of Buf/Cin.  Both Buffalo and Cinci came into that Divisional Game beat up and in the AFC CG, those injuries for CIN began to show.  That 1 seed mattered a whole lot. 

And the smart ones point out that Mahomes has the best coaching in the league paired with TE1-2 all time and first ballot DT.  

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Bishop going to be out awhile 

Hearing from family member that knows Bishop’s HS coach that he is going to be out 6-8 weeks, shoulder injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The reason there is a gap is cause their coach is one of the great geniuses to ever coach football the guy turned Kevin Kolb and AJ Feely into nfl starters and well the bills coach isn’t 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The reason there is a gap is cause their coach is one of the great genius’s to ever coach football and well the bills coach isn’t 

Coach’s coach. Players make plays. If it was as simple as “well Mahomes has Andy Reid, that’s why he’s so successful…” Bill Belichick, who some believe is the greatest coach in league history, wouldn’t be a sub .500 HC without one Tom Brady. Brady deserves more credit than Belichick for those rings just as Mahomes deserves more than Reid. How many championships has Reid won without Mahomes? I’ll give you a hint: same number Belichick has won without Brady.

On 7/30/2024 at 10:05 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

As a former QB bench warmer at the D3 level, I can share that our position coaching staff made it crystal clear that any fumbles/botched snaps (or bad hand off exchanges between RB’s and QB for that matter) were ALWAYS the QB’s fault—even when we all knew they were not. 🤣. But that’s how it would be “scored” in the books, fwiw.

they probably told the same thing to the centers lol

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'm not wrong at all.

Center Responsibilities

McGovern started all 13 games as center at PSU his sophomore year. Their OC refused to run plays from under center, so all he did was shotgun snap. I don’t recall any problems with his shotgun snaps. 

Althouh he only played a couple games at center for Dallas, I’m not worried about him relearning shotgun and under center snaps. 

• Like (+1) 3