Training Camp 7/30

16 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

With the way he fell on that PBU, I say we better include the Spleen just to be sure.

Hopefully he can get one from the Shah...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Based on Camp reports, seems we should be feeling pretty comfortable with Douglas, Benford, Elam & Ingram as our outside CB group on the 53?

Elam sounds like he's legitimately pushing to start if the two guys ahead of him weren't both very good and Ingram just stays being solid, building on prior camps when given opportunity.

I have always been a Elam supporter but he is way too Handsy, loves to grab.  reminds me a lot of Sauce Gardner but Gardner doesn't get calls like Elam will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Didnt squeeze it 

And that's not the reaction of someone who just caught a TD

I think he is out of bounds. I think he was out by the time he got his hands on it. Looking at the lines as he stands up after I think he is out on the near edge of the endzone.

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He and Gunner believe Keon's feet were not in bounds.  I don't know how they can see that definitively from the video clip above, but that's why they believe it's incomplete.

It looks when he stands up like the lines go away from behind him horizontally near side to far side. And you can see in the corner of the shot the corner of the endzone which based on the field lines can only be the near side endzone corner. And he doesn't even look close to being in. I don't think you need to know the exact location of the feet.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's actually 241 combined targets, so 200 understates it.  May have missed Hamler, Valdez-Scantling, and/or Claypool, or at least one of 'em.

I understand your irritation, but while we may hope and believe that between whoever makes the team we have the ability to replace those targets, until someone or several someones step up in actual games, the questions will be there.

Targets and receptions are two different things. Diggs and Gabe had a lot of drops. So our 6 receivers only need to have 40 targets each to replace Diggs and Gabe, Our current WR's have a better catch rate. I only see an approvement in production. I dont see MVS even making the team. I watch a lot of camp videos and they are down on MVS. High on Keon, Shavers, Kalil, Curtis, KJ Hamler not to mention Kincaid. That tired story lone of , Oh the Bills are in Trouble! Reeks of chicken little.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Random observations from today's practice;

- Hollins first one out again hair flowing and feet bare

- Watching players coming out from top of bleachers:

- Elam only non WR I saw on juggs - he was there for a while

- In vip area as players approach tunnel from fieldhouse there was 7 guys all with Dawkins jerseys on. Dion comes over and turns out he knows them all- assume from his hometown heard jersey a lot.  One guy had his kid there heard Dion say "I remember when you were in diapers" Stayed for 5 mins talking to them all - was a really cool scene

- Every time I see Josh doing the walk from the fieldhouse I'm reminded I Love You Josh Allen 😛

- Merciful clouds to start practice, but didn't last long unfortunately 
- Lots of ST to start
- OL doing a drill where the rusher bull rushes then jumps up and they try to maintain contact.  Then for a while two guys on each side with pads coming at a blocker needed to engage left then right then left then right
- QBs doing the drill where they hand off then get another ball tossed to them then immediately throw to the side - did same yesterday,

- Next was routes against air

- Have to say trubisky throws a nice ball - tight spiral with zip

- Red zone 1-1 selected plays
- Coleman great grab vs Elam gets feet in, shavers v benford incomplete great effort both, hamler v Ingram couldn't hold on, Shakir v taron ref said out but very close, Coleman v Elam nice catch td, keys v brown sick move to be open.  Hamler v rasul great coach in middle with defender hanging all over him,  ingram nice  pbu vs isabella, shavers couldn't hold on,  Xavier Johnson left brown in the dust sick inside move, Lewis int after coleman fell down.  Hamler great contested grab at back ez, ref called out.  Would have been a lot of video reviews on these ez catches if this was real game
- 11-11 selected plays

- Lot more runs this 11-11 session

Josh to Samuel 15 yd down middle, Trubsky to samuel similar play, 
Dorian Williams like a rocket to destroy sweep,

davis cant get edge v 2nd team d nice d,
3rd string lovely stops quick out to Isabella in its tracks, davis 1st team nice run to left 15 yds

- After the whistle a lot of times the rb will just keep going (and keep getting popped) and sometimes keep running all the way to EZ.  Yesterday noticed trubisky tearing down field to run with rb into ez, today noticed all 3 qbs doing it at times so seems just a thing they decided to do for fun
- Caught a shirt
- Next was a period where defense was off on the side field and offense stood around for like 10 mins going over some formation or concept - did 4 snaps total may have been the lowest energy extended period I have ever seen at a practice - maybe on purpose bc of the heat 
- 11-11 selected plays

- Looked like they were doing 3rd and long
- Kincaid sliding grab at marker, quick slant Josh pass to mvs for td - though it might have been blown dead - von came up middle with clear shot (was the one play i keyed on von - did a little juke/delay and then looped over to middle and was untouched), Trubisky nice step up to avoid pressure hit keys 1st down, db blitzes untouched from left side trubisky reads immediately and gets ball to mckitty nice play, rasul drops int from josh after nice break on ball,
Josh threads beautiful 20 yd pass down middle to Hollis with 4 guys around him, bishop really nice physical pbu on long josh throw to te down field, pbu on Josh forced throw to shavers, Josh quick out to Samuel 15 yds, groot untouched sack, josh to kincaid down middle 15 yds,  trubisky

beautiful pass to hollins thread needle 20 yds,
Some scuffle well after play - just saw the huge scrum then solomon being dragged out by 2 teammates, josh quick out to Keon, then dump off to cook 10 yds, trubisky threaded another pass down middle, Josh scrambles then whistle blows and Josh keeps running around in secondary til comes up to safety then collapses on ground in a " slide" - what a goof
- bass 5 for 6 increasing yardage fgs, missed last from 50 - browning was holding

- 11-11 selected plays

- Last reps by 1st team,, dline not trying to bring pressure

- Keon 1st down short throw, beautiful run davis up middle, MVS no gain, Hamlin laid wood to shavers who hung on - looked like might have been a head shot, cook up middle no gain, short dump off bounces off Kincaid hands (human after all), Kincaid 1st down, josh beautiful long throw down middle to Shakir threaded between 4 defenders, Knox fist down, shavers nice comeback 8 yds sideline, nice pbu in hardy, Josh force to davidson with 2 defenders there - hardy another pbu (think Josh knew it was last play)

- This was a long practice in the heat - went to 11:50

- Final thoughts from last two days:

- MVS was out there many times with the ones today, but my big takeaway is I wouldn't put any stock who is with ones - it is constantly changing not only where guys line up but also who they line up with, and which team it is.  Even if/when "starters" are designated i dont think it will matter much since personnel is all going to be different based on the play

- Think practice today was less energy than yesterday.  D was thumping more yesterday, but today seemed to be actually playing more stout d even with a little less 'edge' hitting after whistle etc

- Bernard seemed really hyped both days being physical

- Trubisky looked good to me both days - moved well in pocket, avoided pressure, some nice throws with zip - a couple elite ones.  Looked like a legitimate QB 

- Davis really looks like the real deal to me.  I said yesterday he looks tiny standing around but doesn't look small with the ball in his hands

- I hope Hamler makes the team as returner bc I think he is a legitimate receiver as well.  Dude constantly flashed to me both days (yesterday at first I kept seeing 19 making plays and asking myself who is 19?  dude is balling!  I soon learned) - he is a dog who was playing much bigger than he is - physical fighting for position and going after balls

You’re a champ.  Thanks

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

They kind of irritated me today with the stat of Diggs and Gabe saying they have like 200 combined targets, how are we going to replace that production. How about with Keon, Curtis, Hollins, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Shavers, did I miss anyone. Give me a break with this narrative. Pisses me off really.

Well, it's a legitimate question. I'm not worried either. I liked the stat of over 1000 snaps played by each of the o line. Continuity counts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Have we received confirmation yet that Bishop is having the arm amputated?

Spleel eball, spleen, 😁👍

I just wanted to take a sec and thank @DaBillsFanSince1973 and @HappyDays and everyone else that posts tweets here.  These threads are a great one stop shop for information. So, THANK YOU!!

7 hours ago, Brand J said:

Definitely need to continue working at it, but those in attendance have said some of Connor’s shotgun snaps have been low, with even one skipping off the ground. Maybe they’re both at fault for the exchange under center, or maybe it’s mostly Connor, only those two know for sure, but Josh is just the type of guy who’ll almost always take the blame for anything that doesn’t go right. 

Honestly, I dont really care who is at fault. As long as they get it fixed.  I think they will get it fixed.  Just takes a lot of reps for them to get used to each other.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The low snaps on both of these is noticeable. McGovern needs to get that figured out ASAP.

As others have said let's put the rookie in and let him take his lumps.

McGovern is a guard not a center 

Why does McDermott always try to fit a round peg into a square hole?

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Random observations from today's practice;

- Hollins first one out again hair flowing and feet bare

- Watching players coming out from top of bleachers:

- Elam only non WR I saw on juggs - he was there for a while

- In vip area as players approach tunnel from fieldhouse there was 7 guys all with Dawkins jerseys on. Dion comes over and turns out he knows them all- assume from his hometown bc heard Joisey a lot.  One guy had his kid there heard Dion say "I remember when you were in diapers" Stayed for 5 mins talking to them all - was a really cool scene

- Every time I see Josh doing the walk from the fieldhouse I'm reminded I Love You Josh Allen 😛

- Merciful clouds to start practice, but didn't last long unfortunately 
- Lots of ST to start
- OL doing a drill where the rusher bull rushes then jumps up and they try to maintain contact.  Then for a while two guys on each side with pads coming at a blocker needed to engage left then right then left then right
- QBs doing the drill where they hand off then get another ball tossed to them then immediately throw to the side - did same yesterday,

- Next was routes against air

- Have to say trubisky throws a nice ball - tight spiral with zip

- Red zone 1-1 selected plays
- Coleman great grab vs Elam gets feet in, shavers v benford incomplete great effort both, hamler v Ingram couldn't hold on, Shakir v taron ref said out but very close, Coleman v Elam nice catch td, keys v brown sick move to be open.  Hamler v rasul great coach in middle with defender hanging all over him,  ingram nice  pbu vs isabella, shavers couldn't hold on,  Xavier Johnson left brown in the dust sick inside move, Lewis int after coleman fell down.  Hamler great contested grab at back ez, ref called out.  Were multiple great effort plays by receivers that refs called out that looked very close - would have been a lot of video reviews and possible overturns on many of these ez catches if this was real game
- 11-11 selected plays

- Lot more runs this 11-11 session

Josh to Samuel 15 yd down middle, Trubsky to samuel similar play, 
Dorian Williams like a rocket to destroy sweep,

davis cant get edge v 2nd team d nice d,
3rd string lovely stops quick out to Isabella in its tracks, davis 1st team nice run to left 15 yds

- After the whistle a lot of times the rb will just keep going (and keep getting popped) and sometimes keep running all the way to EZ.  Yesterday noticed trubisky tearing down field to run with rb into ez, today noticed all 3 qbs doing it at times so seems just a thing they decided to do for fun (couple times there were some audibles - one time Buechele was tearing down the field on a run play and the RB stopped,  so he quickly sheepishly looped back to LOS, one time Josh was running down and RB started to stop and Josh made him run all the way in with him - guess Buechel doesn't quite have the same command 😛 )
- Caught a shirt
- Next was a period where defense was off on the side field and offense stood around for like 10 mins going over some formation or concept - did 4 snaps total may have been the lowest energy extended period I have ever seen at a practice - maybe on purpose bc of the heat 
- 11-11 selected plays

- Looked like they were doing 3rd and long
- Kincaid sliding grab at marker, quick slant Josh pass to mvs for td - though it might have been blown dead - von came up middle with clear shot (was the one play i keyed on von - did a little juke/delay and then looped over to middle and was untouched), Trubisky nice step up to avoid pressure hit keys 1st down, db blitzes untouched from left side trubisky reads immediately and gets ball to mckitty nice play, rasul drops int from josh after nice break on ball,
Josh threads beautiful 20 yd pass down middle to Hollis with 4 guys around him, bishop really nice physical pbu on long josh throw to te down field, pbu on Josh forced throw to shavers, Josh quick out to Samuel 15 yds, groot untouched sack, josh to kincaid down middle 15 yds,  trubisky

beautiful pass to hollins thread needle 20 yds,
Some scuffle well after play - just saw the huge scrum then solomon being dragged out by 2 teammates, josh quick out to Keon, then dump off to cook 10 yds, trubisky threaded another pass down middle, Josh scrambles then whistle blows and Josh keeps running around in secondary til comes up to safety then collapses on ground in a " slide" - what a goof
- bass 5 for 6 increasing yardage fgs, missed last from 50 - browning was holding

- 11-11 selected plays

- Last reps by 1st team,, dline not trying to bring pressure

- Keon 1st down short throw, beautiful run davis up middle, MVS no gain, Hamlin laid wood to shavers who hung on - looked like might have been a head shot, cook up middle no gain, short dump off bounces off Kincaid hands (human after all), Kincaid 1st down, josh beautiful long throw down middle to Shakir threaded between 4 defenders, Knox fist down, shavers nice comeback 8 yds sideline, nice pbu in hardy, Josh force to davidson with 2 defenders there - hardy another pbu (think Josh knew it was last play)

- This was a long practice in the heat - went to 11:50

- Final thoughts from last two days:

- MVS was out there many times with the ones today, but my big takeaway is I wouldn't put any stock who is with ones - it is constantly changing not only where guys line up but also who they line up with, and which team it is.  Even if/when "starters" are designated i dont think it will matter much since personnel is all going to be different based on the play

- Think practice today was less energy than yesterday.  D was thumping more yesterday, but today seemed to be actually playing more stout d even with a little less 'edge' hitting after whistle etc

- Bernard seemed really hyped both days being physical

- Trubisky looked good to me both days - moved well in pocket, avoided pressure, some nice throws with zip - a couple elite ones.  Looked like a legitimate QB 

- Davis really looks like the real deal to me.  I said yesterday he looks tiny standing around but doesn't look small with the ball in his hands

- I hope Hamler makes the team as returner bc I think he is a legitimate receiver as well.  Dude constantly flashed to me both days (yesterday at first I kept seeing 19 making plays and asking myself who is 19?  dude is balling!  I soon learned) - he is a dog who was playing much bigger than he is - physical fighting for position and going after balls

No special teams report? Slacker. 

Just kidding, great report. Love this stuff.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's actually 241 combined targets, so 200 understates it.  May have missed Hamler, Valdez-Scantling, and/or Claypool, or at least one of 'em.

I understand your irritation, but while we may hope and believe that between whoever makes the team we have the ability to replace those targets, until someone or several someones step up in actual games, the questions will be there.

Who cares about targets?  Someone will get targets no matter what.  All I care about is that they catch the ball.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is out of bounds. I think he was out by the time he got his hands on it. Looking at the lines as he stands up after I think he is out on the near edge of the endzone.

doesnt look close to me tbh

imo if he catches it cleanly he has a chance

41 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

As others have said let's put the rookie in and let him take his lumps.

McGovern is a guard not a center 

Why does McDermott always try to fit a round peg into a square hole?

I completely disagree with this. If Bishop isn't the best option for this year, he shouldn't play, period.

IDK if McGovern is a good center or not. Kromer seems to think he is. McGovern thinks he is. I don't know if you remember, but Eric Wood, who like McGovern had never played guard in his life before being drafted, was moved to guard for one or two seasons before they moved him back to center. Obviously, they need to get the snap fixed, but we're just under six weeks before opening day, there's plenty of time.

What examples do you have that McDermott "always try to fit a round peg into a square hole?"

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Cash said:

Reporters are hyping him up for sure.  I don't think the team is particularly hyping him up at this stage.  Brady was asked a question about Shavers and responded with praise.  Same as every individual player he's asked about.

“Very impressed,” coach Sean McDermott said of Shavers. “Even if you go back to his rookie season, he's so consistent with his approach. Knows what we're doing offensively, systematically. When you look up consistent in the dictionary, like his face shows up in my mind because he's so consistent, and at a young age.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

doesnt look close to me tbh

imo if he catches it cleanly he has a chance

I think he is already out even if he catches it cleanly. It isn't close. Odd play to clip up for a highlight.