Allen among most accurate passers on balls of 10+ yards

One could assume those things to be the case, I do though suspect that most teams have little interest in going through that type of process with any player, 

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

200 attempts does not tell you how many of those attempts went more than 10 yards.

I don't know how to look that up, but we aren't talking about deep balls which are 20+ air yards. A significant number of any QB's throws is going to be 10+ yards.

I looked at a few of his games and he had 7 to 12 attempts each game of 10+ yards down the field. He started 11 games last year, so we are looking at probably 80 to over 100 attempts. A sample size of 30 or higher is sufficient to draw conclusions.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't know how to look that up, but we aren't talking about deep balls which are 20+ air yards. A significant number of any QB's throws is going to be 10+ yards.

I looked at a few of his games and he had 7 to 12 attempts each game of 10+ yards down the field. He started 11 games last year, so we are looking at probably 80 to over 100 attempts. A sample size of 30 or higher is sufficient to draw conclusions.

perhaps, but how many of those games were the Jets out of it by the end of the game and he was facing backups and/or soft coverages designed to keep the clock running and everything in front of them to speed up the game ending? I know the D kept them in it for some of them but probably that would be at least half of them...

Edited by Big Turk

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

perhaps, but how many of those games were the Jets out of it by the end of the game and he was facing backups and/or soft coverages designed to keep the clock running and everything in front of them to speed up the game ending? I know the D kept them in it for some of them but probably that would be at least half of them...

I think that is going to be almost none of his attempts. It's not like the Jets were getting blown out every week, and how often do you think teams play their backup defenses? At most, they take out one or two players unless it is an extreme blowout. Even then, it is only for a quarter, if that.

And soft coverages will be preventing 10+ yard throws, not aiding them.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think that is going to be almost none of his attempts. It's not like the Jets were getting blown out every week, and how often do you think teams play their backup defenses? At most, they take out one or two players unless it is an extreme blowout. Even then, it is only for a quarter, if that.

Nah, soft coverages are giving up 10 yard throws to prevent 20-30+ yard throws. especially between the 20s.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Stats are funny. Allen and Mahomes sandwiched by Zack Wilson and Jake Browning.

Zach is a better player than he gets credit for (watch how people react to this post). I wrote earlier in the offseason that i’d take Zach Wilson as Allen’s backup right now, and I stand by it. He has athleticism. He has arm talent. And he was surrounded by absolute trash in NJ.

Does he have some issues? Sure does. But some of them can be fixed. And if we fix them, he becomes a perfect Allen backup with that athleticism and arm talent.

Tell me this doesn’t remind me you of 2018 Josh Allen:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Allen averages 2.9 throws of 20+ yards per game last season.

Wilson averaged 2.5 throws of 20+ yards per game last season.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Allen averages 2.9 throws of 20+ yards per game last season.

Wilson averaged 2.5 throws of 20+ yards per game last season.

The topic is 10+ yard throws, not 20+.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen ranked 4th last year directly behind Mahomes. 

Good chance if the ball isn't complete when Allen is throwing downfield, it's not on him.

I spot a two-time NFL MVP on there! 

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Good chance if the ball isn't complete when Allen is throwing downfield, it's not on him.

Would be curious how this changes if the bar is moved to what the NFL considers a "long pass" (20+ yards from the LOS)

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I spot a two-time NFL MVP on there! 

If you are talking about LJ, probably one of the least deserving 2 time MVP's in NFL History.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ahh.

Allen averaged 10 per game.

Zach averaged 8 per game.

What source do you use for this? I looked around a bit and had trouble finding it. Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Would be curious how this changes if the bar is moved to what the NFL considers a "long pass" (20+ yards from the LOS)

That's when you start getting into sample size issues since QB's only have 2 or 3 of these per game, generally.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Imagine what his numbers would be without all the drops.

7 hours ago, BananaB said:

Wonder who has the most attempts over 10 yards, bet Josh is at the top. Mahomes probably dead last

Tagolovailoa was #1 with 189 attempts with over 10 air yards in 2023.  Allen and Mahomes were close to each other. Allen was #5 with 164 and Mahomes was tied for #9 with 159.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MJS said:

86 on the year, 23%.  Josh had 164, 28%