Allen among most accurate passers on balls of 10+ yards

Can’t teach accuracy…, 🤣

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Stats are funny. Allen and Mahomes sandwiched by Zack Wilson and Jake Browning.

Probably a sample size issue...pretty sure Wilson didn't throw a whole lot of those...also Jets were out of a lot of games so defenses likely playing backups or playoff soft coverages for a lot of the game likely helped as well.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen ranked 4th last year directly behind Mahomes. 

Good chance if the ball isn't complete when Allen is throwing downfield, it's not on him.

And I guarantee Josh had WAY more attempts of 10+

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Is it the percentage of throws downfield that are inaccurate? Or is it the percentage of throws downfield that are incomplete due to inaccuracy? I think the latter but it isn't totally clear. 

It's the percentage of incompletions over 10 yards due to inaccurate passes.

I'd love to see the data on the percentage of total attempts in the varying ranges.  

Bring accurate, which Allen is, and deliberately hitting the open guys are two different things.  

20 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Can’t teach accuracy…, 🤣

I still don't think you can.. Allen is just an anomoly. 99 times out of 100 IMO a QB with a sub 60% college completion % doesn't become what Allen has become. 

The fact he had to write all those letters and only got 1 school to give a chance might of played into that narrative a bit as he probably didn't get the best preperation from Wyoming for becoming a pro QB. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I still don't think you can.. Allen is just an anomoly. 99 times out of 100 IMO a QB with a sub 60% college completion % doesn't become what Allen has become. 

The fact he had to write all those letters and only got 1 school to give a chance might of played into that narrative a bit as he probably didn't get the best preperation from Wyoming for becoming a pro QB. 

He wasn't inaccurate, he was inconsistent due to mechanics not being refined/taught properly.  Huge difference between the two that people don't make a distinction between usually.  Luckily Beane and the scouts DID make that distinction.

Edited by Big Turk

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He wasn't inaccurate, he was inconsistent due to mechanics not being refined/taught properly.  Huge difference between the two that people don't make a distinction between usually.  Luckily Beane and the scouts DID make that distinction.

That may be the case here, but I stand by statement. QBs with a sub 60% completion % 99 times out of 100 ... heck 999 times out of 1000 don't become what Allen becomes.

You can see that lots of talking heads also did not see it either.

yes I am thrilled that Beane and Company recognized this and stuck to there guns about Allen... in hindsight.

Allen has greatly surpassed all my expectations to the point where I see him as a 1st ballot HoF candidate

Edited by ddaryl

49 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen ranked 4th last year directly behind Mahomes. 

Good chance if the ball isn't complete when Allen is throwing downfield, it's not on him.

same as Z Wilson right??

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

I was mostly being sarcastic…,  

although I suspect body mechanics has a fair bit to do with accuracy, that and most teams are likely not very good at developing /fine tuning potential, jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Stats are funny. Allen and Mahomes sandwiched by Zack Wilson and Jake Browning.

Well, with Zach Wilson it isn't an arm talent issue. He has a great arm. He is also accurate. The issue is between his ears.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Sample size is a thing.

They all had to meet the minimum of 200 attempts to be on that list, and that is a sufficient sample size for any metric, really.

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I was mostly being sarcastic…,  

although I suspect body mechanics has a fair bit to do with accuracy, that and most teams are likely not very good at developing /fine tuning potential, jmo.

How many QBs are going to honestly be open to changing literally everything from the ground up over 2 offseasons with a QB coach and using 3D motion capture to perfect it and then do endless repetitions to burn it into muscle memory until it becomes second nature?

From a work ethic standpoint and an openness to change standpoint its going to be probably under 1% of all players because for the most part they have always been the best player on any team and they know everything and nobody can tell them nothing.  For Allen, he never was that...all he was ever told was that he wasn't good enough.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, with Zach Wilson it isn't an arm talent issue. He has a great arm. He is also accurate. The issue is between his ears.

They all had to meet the minimum of 200 attempts to be on that list, and that is a sufficient sample size for any metric, really.

200 attempts does not tell you how many of those attempts went more than 10 yards.