John Elway admits Josh Allen was his biggest regret

7 hours ago, RaiderDave said:

Who really thought Josh Allen would be for real coming out of Wyoming?

Certainly not me.

There are a few of us… 👍

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, T master said:

I bet there's more than just him, i'll bet every team that was in front of the Bills that could have had Josh is kickiing them selves in the Arss !! 

Every team ahead of them regrets it. Now the Colts didn’t know Luck would screw them so they get a pass. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

after we basically traded Mahomes for Tre White (not a knock on White), and 19 years or so of QB wilderness, we were due! 

Even if the Bills drafted Mahomes I still don't think they would have a Lombardi. The Chiefs coaching overall and defense especially in the playoffs plays better than the Bills.

Edited by Gregg
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Even if the Bills drafted Mahomes I still don't think they would have a Lombardi. The Chiefs coaching overall and defense especially in the playoffs plays better than the Bills.

I will agree that the Chiefs defense steps up and makes a play when it’s needed most and the Bills defense hasn’t, but I won’t agree that Buffalo would have zero championships with Mahomes under center. That’s not to say that Josh is to blame or hasn’t given his all, it’s more to say that whereas Josh has been stopped by a defense in the playoffs, maybe Mahomes finds a way to get it done on that particular down and in that certain drive where points are needed. Maybe. We just don’t know. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I have never been more disappointed than the EJ pick, including Maybin and wrong Josh.  That guy held FSU back, it was clear he wasn’t NFL material.  At least with Allen, it was a boom or bust potential, I said when we picked him, “most likely a wasted pick, but if he can ever put it together he can be great”.  Here we stand, lucky AF.

Maybin was the one for me then Erik Flowers, JD Williams and Mike Williams for sure.  EJ actually I didnt hate the pick, because I was like finally someone understands that you need a QB to be successful in the league after so many years of trying to re tread backups albiet it was an epic stretch.... Unfortunately, it was also an epic bust. But I gave Whaley credit for trying... but man that was a bad QB draft. 

Edited by JP51

I mean he can say that now but its not like this is a situation that if Chubb was gone he was going to take Allen. Its very well known that if Chubb was gone that the Bills and Broncos had a deal in place for the Bills to move up and take Allen anyways.

Its clear that Elway didn't think that highly of Allen regardless of Chubb's availability at pick 5.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

It does…. But we traded the picks that became Mahomes and Jefferson.. so yeah..

57 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

after we basically traded Mahomes for Tre White (not a knock on White), and 19 years or so of QB wilderness, we were due! 

But there was an intelligent reason for that.. We did not want Whaley making this decision.

We ended up with Allen the next year and drafted Tre White with the trade. 

With the growing pains McDermot has displayed I don't feel Mahommes would be a difference maker here and we got the right man for Buffalo in Allen

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

So in one thread we have some "anonymous NFL exec" saying Josh is overrated and pointing out his flaws.

And then John Elway is publicly admitting what an absolute mistake it was to pass on him with a top 5 pick.

Yeah, I tend to go with Elway on this.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

There were comments suggesting that Allen developed as a result of great coaching in Buffalo which would not have happened in Denver.  Though the board could have fun with that.  

Frankly, I think this idea that players' futures are determined by the quality of their coaching is way overblown.  Wherever Allen went, his exceptional talent would have been recognized.   Either his coaches would have recognized it, or he would have moved on to different coaches through free agency.   I mean, we all could see that he was special in preseason games his rookie year.  He made throws in preseason that you just don't see the average NFL QB make. 

Great coaching can help average guys become really good, and those kind of guys might have their careers saved by coaching.  Allen was going to be a star, either immediately or soon.  Many people didn't see it when he was in college, and I don't fault them for that.  But anyone who didn't see it in his rookie season has a problem with his football judgment. 

• Like (+1) 3

I remember when so many people kept arguing with me that both the Giants and Broncos were "going to take a QB" when it was clear as day leading up to the draft Giants were taking Saquan and Broncos were not taking a QB and were instead all in on Chubb trying to replicate what they had that last season they won a SB with Manning where Manning was the 31st ranked QB in the NFL that year but their D and Run game carried them to a SB.  They had just signed Keenum to be that game manager stable guy while they tried to elevate their very good D to elite with Chubb.  

Now...that just goes to show you how STUPID both the Giants and Broncos were because despite it being fairly obvious neither were taking a QB ahead of the draft, people still thought there was no way they would not take a QB...because they SHOULD have been thinking QB in what was being seen as one of the best QB drafts in the past decade at that point.  

While I was supremely confident both were going Saquan and Chubb...it was still mind numbingly stupid to not go QB for both of those teams.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Really, the Browns, Giants, Jets, and Broncos can/should all be saying that their biggest regret is not drafting Josh Allen.

But out of these teams, the Broncos are the ones whose failure to draft Allen was most inexcusable.

Playing at Wyoming, he was right in the Broncos scouting staff's back yard. They had the chance to watch him in person most often and follow him most closely of any team in the league. Furthermore, you'd think that John Elway of all people would recognize the talent and potential of of a mobile, big armed gun slinger who, quite frankly, reminded some people of a young John Elway.

Likely, the failure of fellow "big-armed but raw" QB prospects Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch under John Elway's watch as GM led to their being gun-shy on Allen.

Whatever the case may be, their failure to recognize and draft the extremely talented QB in their own back yard is and was startling and inexcusable, and all Bills fans ought to send Elway a case of Labatt Blue to thank him.

The thing that isn't mentioned is that Beane has been on the record stating that they had a deal with Denver for the #5 pick if "their guy" (Bradley Chubb) was already taken. So if Chubb was gone, Elway still wasn't taking Allen, he would have dealt the pick to the Bills so they could pick Allen. 

So Elway would have turned down the chance to draft Allen no matter what.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Depends on if the Chefs got Josh the following year.

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

The main reason that the Bills haven't made it to the Super Bowl is KC with Mahomes.  Take Mahomes away from KC and the Bills win all those playoff games with Mahomes at QB.  Meanwhile, if the Bills draft Mahomes in 2017, Josh Allen ends up in Arizona, so the 2 top QBs are in different conferences, and one can't stop the other getting into the Super Bowl.  

• Like (+1) 1