John Elway admits Josh Allen was his biggest regret

There were comments suggesting that Allen developed as a result of great coaching in Buffalo which would not have happened in Denver.  Though the board could have fun with that.  

Edited by nedboy7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm sure John brought it up again in Tahoe a couple weeks ago when they played together. His mistake will forever be our legendary gain. 

I read the article in the Athletic just before coming here and seeing a similar article is linked. In it Elway says, "I wonder how long it will take him to realize I passed on him and took Bradley Chubb instead. And it took him two and a half holes to bring it up." No word of his response to Allen but it did mention that this season will have the 7th different opening day starter in the last 9 seasons. Link is below behind a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5667113/2024/07/29/john-elway-broncos-josh-allen?source=user-shared-article

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, RaiderDave said:

Who really thought Josh Allen would be for real coming out of Wyoming?

Certainly not me.

I definitely did not. I remember hearing the night before the draft, rumors the Browns might take Allen #1 and I was screaming to the heavens “do it, Cleveland! Please! Spare Buffalo the mistake!” 😅 I thought he was the classic big, toolsy player that didn’t have the mind to make the game look easy. Not to mention someone with his collegiate stats had never been an All Pro or even a Pro Bowl QB. Happy to have been (very) wrong about him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hanging in Colorado as a Bills fan is great.   The fan base knows what happened.   Geographically it would be similar to a great QB playing at SU and the BIlls not drafting him.   

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

It just feels good to be on the right end of a scenario like this for once 

It does…. But we traded the picks that became Mahomes and Jefferson.. so yeah..

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Brand J said:

I definitely did not. I remember hearing the night before the draft, rumors the Browns might take Allen #1 and I was screaming to the heavens “do it, Cleveland! Please! Spare Buffalo the mistake!” 😅 I thought he was the classic big, toolsy player that didn’t have the mind to make the game look easy. Not to mention someone with his collegiate stats had never been an All Pro or even a Pro Bowl QB. Happy to have been (very) wrong about him.

I liked the Allen draft but at the same time all his credentials up at that point read exactly like EJ Manuel to me.

So I was excited but skeptical.  

• Agree 1

Around 98% of this fan base wanted Josh Rosen at QB and were begging Beane to give up the farm to trade up with the NY Giants for that #2 spot. Even after drafting Allen, there was so much fan base disdain here that they had chosen the wrong guy.

Most of the talk was because of his accuracy issues which supposedly would never be fixed. There was even a prominent mock draft guy in this forum that stated Josh Allen should be a third-round pick because of those accuracy problems.

Lucky for this franchise they have a GM who knows his stuff. Brandon Bean the wizard😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I liked the Allen draft but at the same time all his credentials up at that point read exactly like EJ Manuel to me.

So I was excited but skeptical.  

I have never been more disappointed than the EJ pick, including Maybin and wrong Josh.  That guy held FSU back, it was clear he wasn’t NFL material.  At least with Allen, it was a boom or bust potential, I said when we picked him, “most likely a wasted pick, but if he can ever put it together he can be great”.  Here we stand, lucky AF.

• Like (+1) 1

QBs are so tough to get right I remember passing on Russell Wilson twice and not gonna lie didn't want him. I remember Marino lasting to 27 and of course the anomalies of Brady, Kurt Warner and even to an extent Romo. Sometimes you just gotta keep buying tickets. Heck I remember the people that thought Leaf should went before Manning lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1