Training Camp 7/29 - First day of pads

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Poyer and Hyde were all-pro caliber last year?

Both gave up passer ratings above 100 last year.  I think thats very replaceable with what we have. 

Appreciate your insight on how important safety is to McD defense but surprised you havent realized how well he's been able to get good play out of late round picks that didnt seem up to it.

There have been 2 AP seasons between them since 2021. Not bad. McD has said how important the position is and I'm just surprised they are OK with starting Hamlin/Rapp there. 

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

There have been 2 AP seasons between them since 2021. Not bad. McD has said how important the position is and I'm just surprised they are OK with starting Hamlin/Rapp there. 

Yeah but were not replacing those seasons.  Were replacing last years production.  Which while gutsy was not great (allowing 100+ rating is below average).

We dont know starters yet so would change Hamlin to Hamlin or Edwards or Bishop.  Either way i think the starters can keep QBs below 100 rating (Rapp had his best year last year allowing less than 90).  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrepsect, but its actually a little bit crazy to call it "beating him out" on day 1 of pads when comparing a rookie to a guy who has been here 3 years.  And S is arguably the 3rd most complicated position to learn on this roster behind QB and MLB given how McD uses his safeties.  

It is day 1 of Pads...no one has beaten anyone out.  Hamlin was the incumbent guy ahead of him because he knows the defense, he isn't ahead of Bishop because he has "beaten out" Bishop who is still learning the playbook, language, and system.  Not to mention, Bishop has been getting his own reps with the 1's

I think you're parsing words...If Hamlin is out there with the first team D then he has beaten him out. Look people have replied and I'll agree it's a WAY too early take on this, I will give it more time. But it's something I'm going to keep my eyes on. Nothing more. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino reporting that MVS once again took no 1st team reps today. Second day in a row of this... It's officially time to have him on the roster bubble.

Id be surprised, but not that shocked, if he doesn't make it.

I don't recall hearing a single word on Hamler or Shorter this TC. 

Seems like it's Claypool, Shavers and MVS going for 2 spots. 

9 minutes ago, Process said:

I don't recall hearing a single word on Hamler or Shorter this TC. 

Hamler has gotten occasional 1st team reps and is a candidate for the kick return job. Based on what's been reported this week he is more likely to make it than MVS. Shorter hasn't done anything and Claypool has gotten occasional 1st team reps but hasn't gotten any kind of buzz. I would probably put Shavers and Hamler as WR5 and WR6 right now, but still very early.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

I’ve not been a fan of moving McGovern over. Put the rookie in and let him take his lumps.

2 hours ago, WacArnolds said:

Couldn't agree more

2 hours ago, Logic said:

No me gusta. 

Would love to see Sed Van Pran get mixed in every now and again.

Fellas...these things happen in camp.  McGovern is not new to the position; in fact in interviews he has said he prefers it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Prime example of why we need to take all these tweets with a heavy dose of salt. The tweet leaves out that giant fact that on the 1v1 rep of Ingram v Coleman, the ref tending to the drill threw his flag. He was being completely mugged.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I just dont love the situation we're in...wish we had a better plan for Hyde/Poyer leaving when we clearly saw that coming for 2 seasons. 

We are expecting 2 of:

Rapp 

Hamlin

Mike Edwards 

A rookie 2nd rounder 

To replace 2 all-pro caliber players.

I'm not expecting them to replace 2-all pro players that easily, but since it's been a cornerstone of the McD defense and given how important a role S has in his system, I'm a little concerned where we stand there right now. 

I'm worried about a 2nd round pick that can't beat out Demar Hamlin for 1st team reps. It's just an observation, wondered if anyone else felt the same and they dont....noted. 

Neither Poyer nor Hyde were all pro caliber players.  I’m their biggest fan, I’m sad that they’re gone….but their play is part of the reason KC owned us in the playoffs.  Poyer was my guy, but was constantly getting picked on in the biggest games.  

that’s not to say I’m not worried about the safeties.  I am 💯 worried-  I think Bishop will be a very good player for us, but I’m not sure if he’ll be good early this season. I think edwards is a great backup and can fill in as starter for now, but his start as a bill has me skeptical for now.  

the thought of Rapp and Bishop starting side by side is unsettling.  Both have been prone to head hunting and personal fouls due to being over physical.  I’ll be happy watching them lay the lumber but a little worried about them getting beat deep.

In addition, Hamlin wasn’t inspiring in coverage when filling in for Hyde 2 seasons ago-  sounds like he’s been a little better this camp, but I’d be surprised if he ever turned into a good starter

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2

50 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

What do you call it then? The first team defense is out there and Hamlin is on it. Is that not beating out everyone else at the position? It's day 5 yes, it might be a premature observation. But i'm not crazy for calling it beating him out.

Hamlin and Bishop have both rotated in with the ones, along with Edward’s, the first 4 days of camp.  Bishop was there today in place of Edward’s, running with the ones to start the day.  That has been reported multiple times in this thread.  It’s day 5 of training camp.   No one has beat anyone out at this point.  Can we at least give the kid training camp and preseason before calling him a bust? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Hamlin and Bishop have both rotated in with the ones, along with Edward’s, the first 4 days of camp.  Bishop was there today in place of Edward’s, running with the ones to start the day.  That has been reported multiple times in this thread.  It’s day 5 of training camp.   No one has beat anyone out at this point.  Can we at least give the kid training camp and preseason before calling him a bust? 

Fair enough.

• Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I think you're parsing words...If Hamlin is out there with the first team D then he has beaten him out. Look people have replied and I'll agree it's a WAY too early take on this, I will give it more time. But it's something I'm going to keep my eyes on. Nothing more. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no disrespect but this is just not accurately portraying the situation.  Hamlin by no means has beaten anyone out, not even Edwards.  It’s an OPEN competition and all 3 are getting reps with the ones.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no disrespect but this is just not accurately portraying the situation.  Hamlin by no means has beaten anyone out, not even Edwards.  It’s an OPEN competition and all 3 are getting reps with the ones.  

The competition is ongoing, its not over. Beaten out doesnt imply that it's over. It's VERY early but I would right now say Hamlin has beaten out Bishop if he's getting 1st team D reps. But I've gotten a ton of bad reactions in here for this take so I guess agree to disagree. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Edwards, Hamlin and Bishop have all taken reps with the 1st team group.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree 100% with this. A rotation does not mean someone has been beaten out, it means they haven't landed the starting job, at least not yet. Using ALLin's logic, we would say Torrence was "beaten" out by Bates and Bernard was "beaten" out by Dotson. You can say who is beaten out when starters are announced for week 1.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2