Training Camp 7/29 - First day of pads

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Can’t beat out? Why do fans think like this? It’s day 5 of camp. At least start worrying after you watch the rookie play a snap.

What do you call it then? The first team defense is out there and Hamlin is on it. Is that not beating out everyone else at the position? It's day 5 yes, it might be a premature observation. But i'm not crazy for calling it beating him out.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

1 hour ago, julian said:

This is what I’m hoping, not blazing top end speed but crazy body control, catch radius, high point ability and elite hands.

Sounds like D-Hop to me.

This is why I have been saying both before the draft and since the draft Keon is like a blend of D-Hop and Brandon Marshall which is why I think his potential ceiling is very high.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Yeah, folks have to remember that Bishop and Hamlin are not coming into the system at the same time. Hamlin has the advantage of YEARS of knowledge and experience, including a few starts. Much too early to worry about a rookie beating out a vet on day 5 of his first ever training camp. 

I have high hopes for Bishop.  Way too early to pencil him into the starting lineup but not so when it comes to playing in packages.  I hope he sees the field early and often. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

Ok, something I'll keep my eyes on then throughout camp.

Cool, that's the attitude to have IMO. Worrying about a rookie who's been inserted into the starting slot a few days out of 5 total NFL practices is probably where you don't want to be. IMO of course

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, mannc said:

I would say my concern level at this point is extreme.  Good thing this is a rebuilding year...

By all accounts he has flashed a couple of times, haven’t heard/read any negatives about him, jmo, but I think you may be over stimulated in this instance, 

9 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

What do you call it then? The first team defense is out there and Hamlin is on it. Is that not beating out everyone else at the position? It's day 5 yes, it might be a premature observation. But i'm not crazy for calling it beating him out.

They've been rotating dude, today is just one day. And I think he's got reps with the starters today as well

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

By all accounts he has flashed a couple of times, haven’t heard/read any negatives about him, jmo, but I think you may be over stimulated in this instance, 

Or just being sarcastic...😀

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I just dont love the situation we're in...wish we had a better plan for Hyde/Poyer leaving when we clearly saw that coming for 2 seasons. 

We are expecting 2 of:

Rapp 

Hamlin

Mike Edwards 

A rookie 2nd rounder 

To replace 2 all-pro caliber players.

I'm not expecting them to replace 2-all pro players that easily, but since it's been a cornerstone of the McD defense and given how important a role S has in his system, I'm a little concerned where we stand there right now. 

I'm worried about a 2nd round pick that can't beat out Demar Hamlin for 1st team reps. It's just an observation, wondered if anyone else felt the same and they dont....noted. 

Poyer and Hyde were all-pro caliber last year?

Both gave up passer ratings above 100 last year.  I think thats very replaceable with what we have. 

Appreciate your insight on how important safety is to McD defense but surprised you havent realized how well he's been able to get good play out of late round picks that didnt seem up to it.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

You can have whatever opinion you want, it’s just pointless to worry about a rookie this early. They didn’t draft him to peak the first week of training camp. 

Give him a chance to get comfortable in the defense. It might take until into the season before he’s comfortable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

My earlier response sounded harsh, so I apologize for that.

It’s worth keeping an eye on, but nothing to really worry about yet.

I’m more concerned that the only time we hear Douglas’ name all summer is when he’s getting beat for a TD. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino reporting that MVS once again took no 1st team reps today. Second day in a row of this... It's officially time to have him on the roster bubble.

I wonder if he came in with an entitled mindset, like a roster spot was guaranteed. I do remember him saying he helped Rodgers and Mahomes to MVPs and SB wins. It’s his wake up call, let’s see how he responds.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino reporting that MVS once again took no 1st team reps today. Second day in a row of this... It's officially time to have him on the roster bubble.

We dont save anything if we cut him, and he only costs a new team 1.1 mil (we used void years to spread the rest of the money that was a signing bonus).  Do you think we trade him rather than cut?

21 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

No disrepsect, but its actually a little bit crazy to call it "beating him out" on day 1 of pads when comparing a rookie to a guy who has been here 3 years.  And S is arguably the 3rd most complicated position to learn on this roster behind QB and MLB given how McD uses his safeties.  

It is day 1 of Pads...no one has beaten anyone out.  Hamlin was the incumbent guy ahead of him because he knows the defense, he isn't ahead of Bishop because he has "beaten out" Bishop who is still learning the playbook, language, and system.  Not to mention, Bishop has been getting his own reps with the 1's

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

My earlier response sounded harsh, so I apologize for that.

It’s worth keeping an eye on, but nothing to really worry about yet.

I’m more concerned that the only time we hear Douglas’ name all summer is when he’s getting beat for a TD. 

I dont expect Douglas to replicate last year so while concerning i hear his name only on TDs, my excitement for Elam (who i already had penciled in as 2025 starter almost by necessity) is much greater.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrepsect, but its actually a little bit crazy to call it "beating him out" on day 1 of pads when comparing a rookie to a guy who has been here 3 years.  And S is arguably the 3rd most complicated position to learn on this roster behind QB and MLB given how McD uses his safeties.  

It is day 1 of Pads...no one has beaten anyone out.  Hamlin was the incumbent guy ahead of him because he knows the defense, he isn't ahead of Bishop because he has "beaten out" Bishop who is still learning the playbook, language, and system.  Not to mention, Bishop has been getting his own reps with the 1's

Also for the very first rep youre gonna default to the one with the most experience in any competition.  Damar wouldn't be in the running to start (which he should be casue most of 2022 I thought he was the succession plan) if he wasnt with the ones on day one.  Were people saying the same thing last year with Torrence rotating in?