Training Camp 7/29 - First day of pads

On 7/29/2024 at 6:24 PM, NewEra said:

As much as I like Douglas, I think he’d be the one out of a job if Elam steps up and starts….until Benford inevitably gets dinged up. 

I guess I'm just not worried about Douglas having a poor camp.  i've never seen him in camp, maybe he's the type that saves it for the games.

Also, I like all 3, (4, counting Taron) so I'm averse to rooting for a guy to lose out.  Benford starting over Elam has seemed to me to be more about Benford than Elam.  This year Elam is healthy and with different coaches, and Benford is less healthy.  We are loaded and I love it.

• Agree 1

On 7/30/2024 at 8:21 AM, Shaw66 said:

One way or another, that's been the discussion about the receivers since the day Diggs left.  Think about it:

Cook isn't McCaffrey, but he's similar - dual-threat guy. 

The Samuel twins - Deebo and Curtis.  Line him wide, put him the slot, run him out of the backfield. 

Throw the ball all over the field, to many different receivers.  

Why wouldn't the Bills want to play like the 49ers?   If they can spread the ball around effectively, they can pass as well as the Niners, and they have a big, big edge at quarterback.  Purdy is like Burrow - outstanding on script, with good decisions and pinpoint throws.  Off-script, however, Josh is a monster advantage.  

This past season, Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and McCaffrey all had between 60 to 75 receptions.  Talk about balance!

9 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

This past season, Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and McCaffrey all had between 60 to 75 receptions.  Talk about balance!

Brock Purdy has completely average NFL quarterbacking skills, except for his accuracy and his ability to spread the ball around in the way that the offense dictates. Josh Allen is a better quarterback than Purdy in every imaginable way, except those two. He's accuracy is good enough, and this is the year when he will be asked to find the open receiver, because the Bills intend to have one open on every play.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Brock Purdy has completely average NFL quarterbacking skills, except for his accuracy and his ability to spread the ball around in the way that the offense dictates. Josh Allen is a better quarterback than Purdy in every imaginable way, except those two. He's accuracy is good enough, and this is the year when he will be asked to find the open receiver, because the Bills intend to have one open on every play.

Purdy is also an elite decision maker, which Josh is very good at.  Some QBs struggle with it. 

5 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Purdy is also an elite decision maker, which Josh is very good at.  Some QBs struggle with it. 

Exactly.   I was in a discussion here a few months about about Purdy, Burrow, and Allen.  Purdy and Burrow both are elite decision makers.  When the play is on-script, that is, when the play is working as designed, Purdy and Burrow have an extremely high percentage of good decisions, and they both are accurate throwers.   Allen is pretty good, but not great.   Allen makes up the difference when the play goes off-script, which probably is around 20-30% of the plays.   Then, Allen's scrambling ability, his running ability, and his other-worldly arm give him a big edge over the other two.  So big an edge that overall, Allen is better than the other two. 

What's been going on with Allen is that he's been learning to elevate his mental game, so that he can be elite in the decision-making area.   I think the change in philosophy on the passing offense will help.  I expect that this group, running well-designed patterns, is going to create more quality on-script throwing opportunities, and I think that will help Allen.   It's the the philosophy the 49ers run, and it clearly helps Purdy.  He drops back, and it's as though his brain is saying, "Where is the guy supposed to be?  Over there.  Oh, there he is.  Throw it."   Over and over.  I'm hoping we're going to see a lot more of that from Allen this season.  His completion percentage should go up, his INTs should go down, and the rest of the league will be scratching their heads wondering what they're going to do to stop the guy

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1