Training Camp 7/29 - First day of pads

7 hours ago, Kornfed said:

Someone has to mention that Bishop is in his first year/contact practice as a pro. Hopefully Edwards recovers quickly or BB has a vet safety in the crosshairs. .... A bit early to be concerned. ..... Lots can change this time o year. ,,,,, Yep, J Simmons is still out there. .... I think at this point teams are waiting to see who's still standing at the end of camp. .... I wanted us to sign JS a month ago.

JK Simmons?

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

This seems like a good place to mention that today was the 5th practice of training camp.

There will be 7 more practices at St. John Fisher before they break camp on August 8th.

They move to Orchard Park where there will be 3 preseason games and approximately 12 more practices before the final cutdown date of August 27th. This is the date that all teams must go from 90 to 53 players.

In other words, today was the 5th of about 24 practices before the final cutdown.

or in other words they will be halfway through Fisher after tomorrow's practice (6 of 12)....Time just flies.  Go Bills!!

• Simon unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, DCofNC said:

This could be, BUT I would prefer to keep an extra WR if the race is tight.  Coleman is unproven, Hollins at BEST has been a 4th option, Samuel has injury concerns as does everyone fighting for #5/6.   All it takes is a bad week and our WR room looks like the LB room last year.   As of this moment, I would like to see: 

Samuel

Shakir

Coleman

Hollins

Hamler

Shavers/Claypool 

Hamler has massive upside IF healthy, Shavers sounds like he’s getting it done and Mapletron is as physically gifted as they come so let that play out as it will.  Hollins being a virtual lock is scary to me, I’m not sure he deserves that, but it seems like he’s going to get it bc of the love affair w ST players.

Hollins at best has been a 2nd option.  He had 90+ targets in 22 iirc.  

I’m not saying he’s a good 2nd option, just that your statement is incorrect and is not telling the whole truth.  

4 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

LB was a huge problem at the end of last season. 

Yeah, McB surely failed in their quest for a starting caliber off ball LB6 last season. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s the end of July. The sun is out, the beach is packed, cold beers on the boat, and the annual parade of TBD posters making definitive judgements after DAY 5 of training camp is in the air. McGovern can’t snap, MVS is MIA, Bishop isn’t lookin All-Pro yet, UDFA’s are getting the McD praise and are ripe to start. 

Hahahah love it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Hollins is a decent WR, not just a special teams guy. Some of you (IMO) are too obsessed with the special-teams-only type of guys and are selling Hollins short.

He's got some skill:

The best part about this highlight reel is that in the 1:47 or so that I watched, the announcers twice... TWICE mistook Hollins for Gesicki. The second time, they even flashed a cartoon likeness of Gesicki up on the screen. Hollins gets no love, but he actually caught some tuddys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NickelCity said:

He had to wait until day 5 for even a whiff of challenging plays for Keon. He had his predetermined point ready to go lol.

Right - and a bad practice could be.. hey line up over here i wanna try something.  And it doesn't work the first 3 times.  Doesn't mean it will never work, just trying stuff.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

It’s the end of July. The sun is out, the beach is packed, cold beers on the boat, and the annual parade of TBD posters making definitive judgements after DAY 5 of training camp is in the air. McGovern can’t snap, MVS is MIA, Bishop isn’t lookin All-Pro yet, UDFA’s are getting the McD praise and are ripe to start. 

Hahahah love it

I'll say this though, an UDFA WR has a better chance of making this team this season than they have in the past 3 or 4 years. 

2nd year guy (Shavers) who was on the PS all of last season, and would be considered a likely solid special teams contributor (he blocked 3 punts in 2 seasons in college) VS. 3 former 2nd round picks on their 3rd and 4th teams, fairly 1-dimensional speed player with inconsistent hands who doesn't contribute on special teams, and a 4th round pick in the same 2023 draft class who was injured last season. 

Odds are still very long for him to make the 53, but there's always a chance

• The high pick pedigree kind of goes away when you didn't draft them, being a former 2nd-round pick doesn't really matter anymore.  
  • MVS contract isn't so big that they couldn't walk away quite easily
  • People can get injured
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

LB was a huge problem at the end of last season. 

Yes, because of depth, but that's not what had everyone concerned in the summer.  In the summer, people were frantic about having even a decent starter, and that's what some folks are sounding like here.  

Last year, despite the fans' concerns, the Bills had one of the best pairs of linebackers in the league.   Bernard even was able to carry the Bills once Milano went down.  Fans completely misperceived the situation in the summer.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Hollins is a decent WR, not just a special teams guy. Some of you (IMO) are too obsessed with the special-teams-only type of guys and are selling Hollins short.

He's got some skill:

It's highlights, so we don't his drops or missed assignments, but Hollins has made some pretty nice contested catches.   And his size is impressive.  He looks like a better version of Gabriel Davis.  

What I liked best about this video, however, is how obvious Tua's limitations are.  Watch how he has to wind up to get any zip on the ball, which translates into a slow delivery and the inability to attack tight windows.  As soon as the highlights switch from the Dolphins to the Raiders and Carr is throwing, you can see what a real NFL quarterback looks like.  Quick release, plenty of pace on the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

He's got some skill:

I think with the uncertainty in so many of our depth players, and with how much younger we've gotten, I think Beane/McD are moving away from the ST-only type players, like Siran Neal, or Matekevich. Certainly, players that are down the depth chart have to play special teams, but IMO. more than in years past, those players will also have to be ready to contribute on offense, or defense, respectively.

I think Shavers offers a pretty good illustration of this. He was acquired last year as a UDFA on his ST acumen, and placed on the PS. Scouts, and his college coaches had described him as a "special teams ace," but he was unreliable on offense. Now, since TC began, he started showing offensive ability with Buechele, and Trubisky throwing him and ball. So he's earned time with the first unit, and could be moving up the depth chart. If he gets up to #5, or #6 WR, it'll be on his ST ability, but he has to prove he can fill a role on offense.

JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Me thinks that may not be that much of a part of this offense.

Some of the stuff they’re running seems a little like Niners offense.  Get the ball quickly to the playmakers and let them do something with it.  

I want to see intermediate passes to Kincaid down the seam.   That sideline stuff Dorsey was running with him was ridiculous.

Bombs away Bills offense = 0 Superbowls

SF offense = at least 2 superbowls recently.

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's highlights, so we don't his drops or missed assignments, but Hollins has made some pretty nice contested catches.   And his size is impressive.  He looks like a better version of Gabriel Davis.  

Agreed. And he won with sharp route running and good speed on a bunch of those routes. Hands are good too. 

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

What I liked best about this video, however, is how obvious Tua's limitations are.  Watch how he has to wind up to get any zip on the ball, which translates into a slow delivery and the inability to attack tight windows.  As soon as the highlights switch from the Dolphins to the Raiders and Carr is throwing, you can see what a real NFL quarterback looks like.  Quick release, plenty of pace on the ball.  

Well...he has scored TD's against the Jets which is something that has been lacking 🙂

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bombs away Bills offense = 0 Superbowls

SF offense = at least 2 superbowls recently.

One way or another, that's been the discussion about the receivers since the day Diggs left.  Think about it:

Cook isn't McCaffrey, but he's similar - dual-threat guy. 

The Samuel twins - Deebo and Curtis.  Line him wide, put him the slot, run him out of the backfield. 

Throw the ball all over the field, to many different receivers.  

Why wouldn't the Bills want to play like the 49ers?   If they can spread the ball around effectively, they can pass as well as the Niners, and they have a big, big edge at quarterback.  Purdy is like Burrow - outstanding on script, with good decisions and pinpoint throws.  Off-script, however, Josh is a monster advantage.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

One way or another, that's been the discussion about the receivers since the day Diggs left.  Think about it:

Cook isn't McCaffrey, but he's similar - dual-threat guy. 

The Samuel twins - Deebo and Curtis.  Line him wide, put him the slot, run him out of the backfield. 

Throw the ball all over the field, to many different receivers.  

Why wouldn't the Bills want to play like the 49ers?   If they can spread the ball around effectively, they can pass as well as the Niners, and they have a big, big edge at quarterback.  Purdy is like Burrow - outstanding on script, with good decisions and pinpoint throws.  Off-script, however, Josh is a monster advantage.  

Spot on Sir. I said something like this in the offseason and got the typical "No you dont' waste a cannon like Josh"  or crap like that.  You can't keep beating your head against a wall expecting it to become a door.  And for all the reasons you stated, we can run it better than San Fran.

39 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And for all the reasons you stated, we can run it better than San Fran.

And that, my friend, is why this season is all on McDermott and Brady.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hollins at best has been a 2nd option.  He had 90+ targets in 22 iirc.  

I’m not saying he’s a good 2nd option, just that your statement is incorrect and is not telling the whole truth.  

Yeah, McB surely failed in their quest for a starting caliber off ball LB6 last season. 

I’m saying LB depth was a problem last year. If we’re playing Rapp and Hamlin, that’s a problem. If I’m Beane, I’m looking for safety help as priority 1.