Training Camp 7/29 - First day of pads

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is why I have been saying both before the draft and since the draft Keon is like a blend of D-Hop and Brandon Marshall which is why I think his potential ceiling is very high.  

Sign me up

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Both have a 4-year contract (and in year 3 this season) with posssibility for Elam to get the 5th year option

Yeah I just meant having to sign them both to a 2nd contract at the same time, I’m not sure if that’s something they want to do when considering the cap and the roster make up.

Maybe it’s a non issue, I don’t know and was just kinda wondering out loud.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I didn't like the pick to begin with (because of positional value) but no way we should be worried about any player one week into their first ever training camp. At the very least he apparently isn't standing out in a bad way. A 2nd round player getting rotated between the 1s and 2s is exactly where he should be at IMO.

Honestly my biggest concern at safety is that Rapp is apparently locked in as one of the starters, getting all 1st team reps so far, and I wish he had some legit competition.

Justin Simmons, anyone?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Someone has to mention that Bishop is in his first year/contact practice as a pro. Hopefully Edwards recovers quickly or BB has a vet safety in the crosshairs. .... A bit early to be concerned. ..... Lots can change this time o year. ,,,,, Yep, J Simmons is still out there. .... I think at this point teams are waiting to see who's still standing at the end of camp. .... I wanted us to sign JS a month ago.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, julian said:

He was in the position coach’s doghouse, combine that with Benford playing extremely well and here we are.

It’s going to be difficult to keep Elam off the field this year, as good as Benford is, Elam’s physical upside is tremendous and if he puts it all together over the next month… look out.

Cool thing, they come out of the tunnel together every day.  Fighting for a starting job, helping each other out, all for the team. Hell yes, I'm rooting for them!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This seems like a good place to mention that today was the 5th practice of training camp.

There will be 7 more practices at St. John Fisher before they break camp on August 8th.

They move to Orchard Park where there will be 3 preseason games and approximately 12 more practices before the final cutdown date of August 27th. This is the date that all teams must go from 90 to 53 players.

In other words, today was the 5th of about 24 practices before the final cutdown.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I felt like towards the end of his rookie year, he was starting to come on, including making a big play or two in the playoffs. He had all of us hopeful for a big leap in year two. Then, as we've since learned, he injured his foot (ankle?) early in camp and it hampered him all year.

This is year three, and you have to think Elam knows that it's make or break time. It would not surprise me if a guy with his physical talent, work ethic, will to be great, and now -- one would assume -- a big chip on his shoulder, is leaving it all out on the field and finally starting to live up to his draft billing.

It is hard to think of a development that would be more positive for this defense than having Kaiir Elam look like a 1st round, playmaking cornerback. It would be HUGE for this young secondary.

That would be huge.  He’s flashed a lot when he’s been on the field, I see why they picked him and I don’t really know why we haven’t seen much of him.   It sucks that the Chiefs jumped us and got an All-Pro while Elam has done nothing, but if he could at least make it hard to keep him off the field, it would be a huge improvement.   I always thought Benford would become our FS and Elam the starting corner, Benford has been too good for that move, which is great.  If Elam could push to start or outright earn the spot, it would be MASSIVE.

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

This seems like a good place to mention that today was the 5th practice of training camp.

There will be 7 more practices at St. John Fisher before they break camp on August 8th.

They move to Orchard Park where there will be 3 preseason games and approximately 12 more practices before the final cutdown date of August 27th. This is the date that all teams must go from 90 to 53 players.

In other words, today was the 5th of about 24 practices before the final cutdown.

Sure, but should we be worried????

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I read the tweets, I know how this season plays out.  😋

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

With Claypool I think the issue is injuries and not that many spots open. 

Locks 

Shakir

Samuel

Coleman 

I assume 6 WR considering the need to carry TE and RB

That's three spots for :

Hollins

Shavers

Shorter 

Hamler

Claypool 

MVS

IIRC Hollins, Shorter and Shavers are ST candidates. It's hard to imagine that you'd have to impress to get in as a pure WR unless you are a cut above the others.

Claypool is injured but MVS vanishing is not what I expected 

Claypool played teams last year, signed with us with understanding that he would play teams.  Don't count him out

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Bills only kept 5 WR last season.  With new kickoff rules considered, and guessing we use 12 man all season, I believe there is a possibility the Bills keep 5 WR (Samuel, Coleman, Shakir, Hollins, Shavers) and keep 4 TE(we have 4 good ones).

This could be, BUT I would prefer to keep an extra WR if the race is tight.  Coleman is unproven, Hollins at BEST has been a 4th option, Samuel has injury concerns as does everyone fighting for #5/6.   All it takes is a bad week and our WR room looks like the LB room last year.   As of this moment, I would like to see: 

Samuel

Shakir

Coleman

Hollins

Hamler

Shavers/Claypool 

Hamler has massive upside IF healthy, Shavers sounds like he’s getting it done and Mapletron is as physically gifted as they come so let that play out as it will.  Hollins being a virtual lock is scary to me, I’m not sure he deserves that, but it seems like he’s going to get it bc of the love affair w ST players.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Your first mistake was listening to what guys are saying on WGR, lol.

It’s more of guys on there doing training camp reports. They are making it sound like this guy is a borderline Davis replacement. Which to me is insane but I guess we will see. I have imagined all year it will be 0/1/10 out there as the 3 main WRs but im starting to fear that Hollins is going to play alot.

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

With Claypool I think the issue is injuries and not that many spots open. 

Locks 

Shakir

Samuel

Coleman 

I assume 6 WR considering the need to carry TE and RB

That's three spots for :

Hollins

Shavers

Shorter 

Hamler

Claypool 

MVS

IIRC Hollins, Shorter and Shavers are ST candidates. It's hard to imagine that you'd have to impress to get in as a pure WR unless you are a cut above the others.

Claypool is injured but MVS vanishing is not what I expected 

Hollins is a lock. I feel like MVS most likely is too so you are down to 1 spot for the also rans at the bottom. If they even need a 6th guy.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s more of guys on there doing training camp reports. They are making it sound like this guy is a borderline Davis replacement. Which to me is insane but I guess we will see. I have imagined all year it will be 0/1/10 out there as the 3 main WRs but im starting to fear that Hollins is going to play alot.

I'm kind of wondering if we will be running a lot more this season. I know McDermott loves a "ball control" offense. If that's the case maybe a good blocking WR will make sense.

I'm more of a fan of letting Allen air it out personally, and only falling back to the run if it isn't working.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Kornfed said:

Someone has to mention that Bishop is in his first year/contact practice as a pro. Hopefully Edwards recovers quickly or BB has a vet safety in the crosshairs. .... A bit early to be concerned. ..... Lots can change this time o year. ,,,,, Yep, J Simmons is still out there. .... I think at this point teams are waiting to see who's still standing at the end of camp. .... I wanted us to sign JS a month ago.

This sounds like the same sort of fretting that dominated discussion here all last summer, but the subject was linebacker, not safety.  People were frantic.  

The tenor of the comments was that the Bills didn't have anyone who could play MLB, and why hadn't Beane done anything about it all spring.  Finally, I asked whether it occurred to anyone that Beane and McDermott, who sere seeing a lot more of the guys on the roster than we were, might know something we don't.  People kept right on complaining.  Then Bernard started the season, and everyone quieted down.  

I'd suggest that maybe McBeane have a pretty good idea what's happening at safety.  They apparently could have Hyde if they wanted him, but apparently they don't think it's necessary.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Lost said:

I wanna see them practicing some go routes and 60yd bombs!  😄

Me thinks that may not be that much of a part of this offense.

Some of the stuff they’re running seems a little like Niners offense.  Get the ball quickly to the playmakers and let them do something with it.  

I want to see intermediate passes to Kincaid down the seam.   That sideline stuff Dorsey was running with him was ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This sounds like the same sort of fretting that dominated discussion here all last summer, but the subject was linebacker, not safety.  People were frantic.  

The tenor of the comments was that the Bills didn't have anyone who could play MLB, and why hadn't Beane done anything about it all spring.  Finally, I asked whether it occurred to anyone that Beane and McDermott, who sere seeing a lot more of the guys on the roster than we were, might know something we don't.  People kept right on complaining.  Then Bernard started the season, and everyone quieted down.  

I'd suggest that maybe McBeane have a pretty good idea what's happening at safety.  They apparently could have Hyde if they wanted him, but apparently they don't think it's necessary.  

LB was a huge problem at the end of last season. 

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Finally, I asked whether it occurred to anyone that Beane and McDermott, who sere seeing a lot more of the guys on the roster than we were, might know something we don't.

NEVER! 🤫