Training Camp 7/29 - First day of pads

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Did we have this one? 

I believe that's Christian Benford getting toasted by Keon and Casey Toohill chasing Josh around the backfield like a bulldozer chasing a cowdozer.

I couldn't see who it was that Toohill must have beaten like a drum.

Benford in general has seemingly not had a good camp, a lot of the offense's best plays are coming at his expense. I think the door is open for Elam to steal his job.

• Like (+1) 6

15 minutes ago, noacls said:

Hyde and Poyer have not been All Pro caliber players in years. 

They're 3 years removed from AP 1 and AP2 seasons respectfully. I'd consider them AP caliber and I'm concerned with what we've replaced those positions with. It's something I'll keep my eye on for the first half of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Benford in general has seemingly not had a good camp, a lot of the offense's best plays are coming at his expense. I think the door is open for Elam to steal his job.

That's possible, although I don't think we have enough information to deduce the "why?" Should there have been a safety over the top helping, for example?

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think it’s very possible.  They really have been talking up Shavers who might make the 53 and puts MVS and Chase in potential danger because Hollins is a lock almost at this point with Keon, Shakir, and Samuel.  Shavers even got some reps with the 1’s last practice and made the catch on his only target.

Something to watch moving forward 

I don’t see Claypool or MVS making the team. They don’t seem to be making any plays in camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

They're 3 years removed from AP 1 and AP2 seasons respectfully. I'd consider them AP caliber and I'm concerned with what we've replaced those positions with. It's something I'll keep my eye on for the first half of the season.

ALLinALLEN, with respect, "3 years removed from an AP season" doesn't mean very much, especially when it also means a football player is 3 years removed from his 30th birthday.

5 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

I don’t see Claypool or MVS making the team. They don’t seem to be making any plays in camp. 

I thought I heard some good stuff from Claypool, though he's been running a lot with the 2's.  We're not hearing stuff yesterday and today 'cuz he went out.  Toe.

MVS was thought likely enough that he was given $2.25M (or something like that) fully guaranteed.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

He's flashed in what, the practices without pads on? Cmon, I love the kid but he hasnt flashed in the 2 and a half seasons he's been here.

You don’t have to ‘flash’ to be a solid starter. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

ALLinALLEN, with respect, "3 years removed from an AP season" doesn't mean very much, especially when it also means a football player is 3 years removed from his 30th birthday.

I thought I heard some good stuff from Claypool, though he's been running a lot with the 2's.  We're not hearing stuff yesterday and today 'cuz he went out.  Toe.

Right on. It’s more of a gut feeling for me right now, not expert analysis 😀

• Like (+1) 2

Day summary from Cover1, apologies if I missed it above

https://www.cover1.net/greg-rousseau-and-terrel-bernard-stand-out-in-physical-day-5-practice/

He speaks what several here have commented:

One lineman that has stood out, but in a negative manner has been Center Connor McGovern. Over the last two days, there have been several snap and or exchange issues. Some of McGovern’s shotgun snaps yesterday were off target. At least two were dribblers along the turf where Allen had to bend over and scoop up. Today, there was a bad exchange with Allen under center which led to the ball tumbling to the turf. I know McGovern has played the position and its early in camp, but these sort of issues should typically be hammered out by now. I don’t think it’s a cause for concern yet, but it is noteworthy at this point.

He's absolutely right, for me.  McGovern does not have to really worry about getting his block knocked off by opposing DLmen at this point, until today no pads even - this doesn't seem like a "my fault" issue as Allen will say, his snaps are off-target or dribblers Allen has to scoop up.

I started out nervous about this change and I'm not getting less nervous.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

The “Poyer and Hyde aren’t good anymore” has picked up so much steam the last year or two that’s it’s basically become meaningless corporate flow chart jargon. It has next to no meaning anymore.

Poyer and Hyde have still been very good even if they’ve been short of the best versions of themselves. They have been responsible for a lot more than just executing the play that’s called. Rapp is a starting safety in this league and couldn’t clearly beat either out for a starting role last year. 

To your point, I don’t think we’ve adequately replaced either. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Process said:

Id be surprised, but not that shocked, if he doesn't make it.

I don't recall hearing a single word on Hamler or Shorter this TC. 

Seems like it's Claypool, Shavers and MVS going for 2 spots. 

At this point it should be Shavers. Claypool and MVS have already proven what they are and have been given multiple chances with different teams. I see no reason to gift wrap a roster spot due to their "name".

5 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

There have been 2 AP seasons between them since 2021. Not bad. McD has said how important the position is and I'm just surprised they are OK with starting Hamlin/Rapp there. 

Are you that slow? Everyone sees they have been rotating and you just ignore that plus Edwards is out with injury, but you keep saying it’s going to be Hamlin like that’s a given.  Relax, stop trolling for responses.

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, julian said:

He was in the position coach’s doghouse, combine that with Benford playing extremely well and here we are.

It’s going to be difficult to keep Elam off the field this year, as good as Benford is, Elam’s physical upside is tremendous and if he puts it all together over the next month… look out.

As much as I like Douglas, I think he’d be the one out of a job if Elam steps up and starts….until Benford inevitably gets dinged up. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, buffblue said:

At this point it should be Shavers. Claypool and MVS have already proven what they are and have been given multiple chances with different teams. I see no reason to gift wrap a roster spot due to their "name".

The thing about Shavers is he played fairly well last summer too.  He could be a real steal playing on a Reserve/Futures contract.

Let's all hope he can be a plus for the team.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Agreed good sir. I am more interested on how the Safeties are playing the last 6 weeks or so of the season. We need to be healthy and cooking with gas in December and Through the playoffs/Superbowl.  Everyone should expect some growing pains across the board for the first half of the season in regards to the team as a whole.

A coach of mine used to say it’s more important who is playing at the end of the game versus who is starting.  And everyone should know by now that McD has a culture that players need to earn their playing time.  If Nathan Peterman started a game over JA, I’m not worried about Bishop if he isn’t the “starter” over Damar Hamlin or Mike Edwards yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Samuel & Kincaid are going to shine this year.

He has to be so happy to have 17.  His contract may turn out to be instrumental in building this team over the next 3 years.  8M aav for a guy that could prove to be a low end WR1.  Diggs was better than Samuel prior to joining Buffalo, but he also had better passers throwing him the ball.  He could turn out to be a low end WR1, top tier WR2 if fed the ball.  He’s really good downfield.  He really makes plays on the ball.  

Meanwhile the jags gave gabe 13m to be their 5th best pass catcher

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you listen to what guys are saying on WGR, don’t be surprised if this guy is borderline starting.

Your first mistake was listening to what guys are saying on WGR, lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

With Claypool I think the issue is injuries and not that many spots open. 

Locks 

Shakir

Samuel

Coleman 

I assume 6 WR considering the need to carry TE and RB

That's three spots for :

Hollins

Shavers

Shorter 

Hamler

Claypool 

MVS

IIRC Hollins, Shorter and Shavers are ST candidates. It's hard to imagine that you'd have to impress to get in as a pure WR unless you are a cut above the others.

Claypool is injured but MVS vanishing is not what I expected 

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

As much as I like Douglas, I think he’d be the one out of a job if Elam steps up and starts….until Benford inevitably gets dinged up. 

Yeah, I don't see Benford losing the job to anyone. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2