Training Camp 7/29 - First day of pads

If Edwards is going to miss a few weeks I wonder if he could be a cut candidate. $1.6M gtd but they may just bite the bullet. Hyde and a Simmons are both still out there if Cole isn't ready. 

Never loved the Edwards signing to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Not in the least. Not every rookie is ready to dive right in to a complicated system. It's not one-size-fits-all

If he is behind Hamlin on the depth chart at start of week 1 would that worry you?

3 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

If he is behind Hamlin on the depth chart at start of week 1 would that worry you?

Hamlin has been in the system for 3 years now.  McD even said that safety is the hardest part of his defense to get acclimated to.  He's going to be in and out of games at some point but I don't think it's a reason for concern.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Wiz said:

Hamlin has been in the system for 3 years now.  McD even said that safety is the hardest part of his defense to get acclimated to.  He's going to be in and out of games at some point but I don't think it's a reason for concern.

Good point!

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re worried about a rookie at training camp?

He is playing with the 1’s.  Top 4 picks are all in rotation.  Coleman playing exclusively with Allen.  Davis getting work with the first team.  Bishop is getting alot of work with the 1st team.  Carter is second team 3Tech.  First day in pads what is not going to plan?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Hamlin has probably been our best safety up to this point.

The kid has legitimately been making plays in coverage. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Give him time.  His strength is his brain. If he had been physically dominant in college he would have been drafyed by day 2.  He has to learn to compete phyaically at this level.

Evaluating olineman in shorts and Tshirts does not mean a whole lot.  Pads are on now let’s see what he looks like. Preseason will also be a place for him to make an impression.  Shotgun snaps and anchor will be something to monitor.   

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

You realize Hamlin has probably been our best safety up to this point, right?

The kid has legitimately been making plays in coverage. 

He's flashed in what, the practices without pads on? Cmon, I love the kid but he hasnt flashed in the 2 and a half seasons he's been here.

• Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Am I the only one worried about the Bishop pick? Seems behind where he should be at.....

Bishop is going to be special. I don’t know if he’s a day 1 starter just yet, but by next year he’s going to be acclimated and productive. He was honestly the pick I was most excited for- I watched a lot of his game before the draft and he’s got good instincts and completes his tackles.

I wish he would get a year with Hyde to soak up whatever knowledge he could get. I could see him as a Hyde-type player down the line

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

I’ve not been a fan of moving McGovern over. Put the rookie in and let him take his lumps.

I want to see Anderson, his shotgun snapping is excellent from all I've seen.

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Evaluating olineman in shorts and Tshirts does not mean a whole lot.  Pads are on now let’s see what he looks like. Preseason will also be a place for him to make an impression.  Shotgun snaps and anchor will be something to monitor.   

Those are Anderson's strengths.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

1 hour ago, Logic said:

No me gusta. 

Would love to see Sed Van Pran get mixed in every now and again.

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's actually legitimately crazy that the built-in rollout bootleg game hasn't been a big part of the Bills' playbook up until now. 

Josh Allen rolling out to his right and having the option to either run or pass is arguably when he is at his most lethal. Many of the most impressive plays throughout his pro career have come in this situation.

Count me as a big fan of this development.

Honestly the rookies getting their shot sounds like the plan

And I completely agree that play action rollouts seem like one of the most obvious plays to use. You have a run game to sell the play action and a QB who is a run threat. Force the 2nd level guy to choose coverage or cutting off Josh's lane

• Like (+1) 3

Notes from Joe Marino:

WR Tyrell Shavers continues to make noise. Getting plenty of 1st and 2nd team work and McDermott raved about his consistency, work ethic and knowledge of the offense. Had a big catch in team work on a play action roll out from Allen. 

- Mike Edwards is "week-to-week" with a hamstring injury which swings the door wide open for Hamlin or Bishop to be the Week 1 starter. Bishop ran first team today. 

- Milano, Von Miller and Taron Johnson had vet rest days today. 

- Rousseau got the better of Spencer Brown multiple times

- Ty Johnson was injured during practice which opened the door for Darrynton Evans to get work.

- Offense worked on the run game and play action. Lots of tight alignments and play action-boots where Allen hit over routes. Shavers, Shakir, Coleman and Samuels all made big plays on over routes. 

- McGovern/Allen fumbled snap from under center today

- I have a lot more confidence in this year's QB depth with Trubisky and Beuchele compared to Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley last year

- Gable Steveson had a clean win in 1v1 drills and a TFL in the team session

- Dorian Williams got abused in coverage multiple times today, biting hard on play action fakes. 

- JaMarcus Ingram and Cam Lewis got 1st team work in the slot with Taron out

- Keaton Bills had some really clean wins in 1v1 reps

- Javon Solomon bulled Tylan Grable in 1v1s... completely flat backed him

- Kinglsey Jonathan popped multiple times today

• Thank you (+1) 6

50 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Everyone is all over Hollins this off-season. All that extra stuff is cool but it will fall on deaf ears eventually if you aren’t any good. I hope he ends up being a productive player or else the extra stuff won’t matter.

Hollins was brought in because he is an excellent blocker for an WR and plays well on special teams. He will probably make the roster, but won’t be putting up big volume stats as a receiver.

42 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Am I the only one worried about the Bishop pick? Seems behind where he should be at.....

I didn't like the pick to begin with (because of positional value) but no way we should be worried about any player one week into their first ever training camp. At the very least he apparently isn't standing out in a bad way. A 2nd round player getting rotated between the 1s and 2s is exactly where he should be at IMO.

Honestly my biggest concern at safety is that Rapp is apparently locked in as one of the starters, getting all 1st team reps so far, and I wish he had some legit competition.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He had ups and downs in 2022. He started most of that season.

I just dont love the situation we're in...wish we had a better plan for Hyde/Poyer leaving when we clearly saw that coming for 2 seasons. 

We are expecting 2 of:

Rapp 

Hamlin

Mike Edwards 

A rookie 2nd rounder 

To replace 2 all-pro caliber players.

I'm not expecting them to replace 2-all pro players that easily, but since it's been a cornerstone of the McD defense and given how important a role S has in his system, I'm a little concerned where we stand there right now. 

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re worried about a rookie at training camp?

I'm worried about a 2nd round pick that can't beat out Demar Hamlin for 1st team reps. It's just an observation, wondered if anyone else felt the same and they dont....noted. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I'm worried about a 2nd round pick that can't beat out Demar Hamlin for 1st team reps. It's just an observation, wondered if anyone else felt the same and they dont....noted. 

Can’t beat out? Why do fans think like this? It’s day 5 of camp. At least start worrying after you watch the rookie play a snap.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Can’t beat out? Why do fans think like this? It’s day 5 of camp. At least start worrying after you watch the rookie play a snap.

Yeah, folks have to remember that Bishop and Hamlin are not coming into the system at the same time. Hamlin has the advantage of YEARS of knowledge and experience, including a few starts. Much too early to worry about a rookie beating out a vet on day 5 of his first ever training camp. 

• Like (+1) 5