Pegula imploring Beane and McD to get Allen to embrace a CEO role?

40 minutes ago, Mango said:

If you go down route 5 a ways this has been Terrys style. Secret meetings with Darcy Regier, firing Bots for not falling in line, the yes man that is Kevyn Adams. 

Terry may not be assertive like Jerry Jones but he has some expectations and directions. 

It’s been fairly well reported that McBeane have worked to keep the Bills insulated from the Sabres. It’s also been rumored that in their contract extensions McBeane both have a no meddling clause that gives them final say in all football decisions. Something others have asked for with the Sabres but refused. 

no doubt... I should have clarified "style with the Bills"

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Simon said:

This is the crux to me, right here.

If Josh Allen tries to be anything but himself, it simply will not work. Every guy in that locker room will see right through it because you can't hide what you are from your teammates. Trying to be something you're not will have the exact opposite effect you're trying to accomplish.

If his leadership style evolves because he is evolving as a person, then great; he's a good man and it will undoubtedly be a positive change. But if at any point in the past present or future, anybody tries to convince him to affect some kind of faux professional leadership style, it's going to blow up in their faces.

I get the sense Allen is smart enough to recognize that and isn't going to make the mistake of trying to pretend he's something he isn't.

Having the advantage of being here local to camp, I'll tell you this much.... the leading he does out there is constant. And its definitely in his own way (infused with much humor). He's all over the drills, getting people lined up, being inclusive/celebrating with ALL teammates (somehow), talking privately with players at times, relaying info with coaches. It sucks to me that some cryptic article that required another article to explain is kinda ruining what is happening naturally out there and has zilch to do with the team owner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Having the advantage of being here local to camp, I'll tell you this much.... the leading he does out there is constant. And its definitely in his own way (infused with much humor). He's all over the drills, getting people lined up, being inclusive/celebrating with ALL teammates (somehow), talking privately with players at times, relaying info with coaches. It sucks to me that some cryptic article that required another article to explain is kinda ruining what is happening naturally out there and has zilch to do with the team owner.

Does seem Allen is putting an emphasis on this with all the new faces around this year which is a good thing regardless. 

16 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

But what does this even mean? 

I think it means if you need to get in someone's ass because they aren't running the right route or being where they should be on a play after you've already talked about it multiple times, then that's what you need to do.  

It's holding someone accountable for what he needs to do on the field. 

I don't think I have ever seen Allen do that with anyone.

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

“ Until “  then, he owns it…,  lock stock and barrel, 

like it or not, Pegs didn’t become a multi billionaire by accident, the guy knows what he is up to, and is more successful than any of us on this MB, he does not need to be a football lifer to know that Josh could stand to step up his game in this regard, player worship tends to jump the shark on team message boards, 

nuthin but luv Hurly,

luv the luv - was just being a wise guy re: Pegula potentially selling part of the team

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think it means if you need to get in someone's ass because they aren't running the right route or being where they should be on a play after you've already talked about it multiple times, then that's what you need to do.  

If doesn't even have to be confrontational. Guy has a bad practice and is down on himself. Going over and encouraging him. Important for the QB to have pulse of team and know the right buttons to push with any number of guys. Team is only going to go as far as 17 is going to take them and this is going to be critical year with all the new faces on team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Fortunately, it’s not important that you or I see it. In fact, in most cases that is probably for the best if we don’t. I’m not in the huddle, on the sideline or in the locker room so I won’t try to judge Josh on this. Diggs made a public display of his displeasure, and it was not a good look. Handle things like grown ups would be my suggestion. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Fortunately, it’s not important that you or I see it. In fact, in most cases that is probably for the best if we don’t. I’m not in the huddle, on the sideline or in the locker room so I won’t try to judge Josh on this. Diggs made a public display of his displeasure, and it was not a good look. Handle things like grown ups would be my suggestion. 

Sometimes you have to handle it after it happens on the field. But you also have to know when that's called for and when it isn't.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sometimes you have to handle it after it happens on the field. But you also have to know when that's called for and when it isn't.

Just my personal opinion, but I think you are making WAY too much out of this. I don’t know what Josh is telling guys out on the field, so how would I know if I approve. They are the pros, I’ll let them do their thing without making up things to get upset about. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Just my personal opinion, but I think you are making WAY too much out of this.  

Maybe, maybe not.  Players have to know they are going to have answer to their QB if they f**k up by not being prepared or ready to go.  How many times did they look like they were "whatever" during the first half of the year last year like they just expected to show up and win? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Haven't seen this mentioned on here. I used the search, so if it is please feel free to merge.

Pegula apparently is upset that Allen has not embraced being in more of a CEO type role and instead is more of the "guy's guy" with teammates. Pegula wants Allen to be "above" teammates and the clear leader in that way as well similar to how some other QBs are...most notably like Brady probably.

Pegula wants Allen to exhibit more of an "Executive Demeanor" and less of the "buddy buddy" way he is now with teammates...

Assuming this is because it blurs the lines and allows others to think it's OK to get away with some things that otherwise they may not feel it would be OK to get away with? Or perhaps that they are a little more lax than they should be?

Article eludes to that being part of the reason Diggs wanted out or had some issues?

Either way sounds like we are likely going to be in for a new version of Allen this year if they are successful, and one where he may be holding others more accountable.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/7/27/24206901/terry-pegula-urging-qb-josh-allen-to-be-a-new-kind-of-leader-for-buffalo-bills-in-2024

I think he wants him to be more like Brady, who was the OC and had control of the whole team.

i don’t know if that’s in Allen’s nature or not or if that is even a good idea seeing that he is not Brady….

Interesting though…though I thought about this a couple years ago….

Especially now though as it looks like Joe Brady is going to be a HC next year. This is huge. Belicheat was so successful because the water could have been the OC with Brady calling the shots. Of course, I’m exaggerating but Brady did have control of that team like no QB before or after…. It was the perfect storm of football, Belicheat running the D and not needing a real good OC because of Brady…. Of course, in my mind they blew it all cheating all the time….

Anyway…. We sure could use Josh taking total control of the O this year…. I know, I know, he IS the O but I mean from every avenue.

off field, in the locker room, everywhere, demanding excellence…. Though, I really don’t know for sure, he might be doing that now…I don’t know for sure….

32 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

luv the luv - was just being a wise guy re: Pegula potentially selling part of the team

Yup, I heard that too, 

I find it hard, perhaps even distasteful, to consider any logic that at its core involves Josh Allen, or his leadership, to be any part of a problem or contributor factor to this teams lack of ability to win the big game.

Our defense was decimated by injuries, Dion Dawkins was pushed into Allen’s lap by Chris Jones, our kicker missed a short for the NFL field goal, and the highly paid wide receiver dropped a long pass.

Allen led an offense that accumulated more yards than the opponent, 6 more first downs than the opponent, and dominated time of possession by nearly 15 minutes.

In another year, the defense allowed the Chiefs to score in 13 seconds.

In yet another year, two pass rushers collided together, ruining a clear sack, allowing Deshaun Watson to throw the first down dagger. 

if Terry wants to see Josh Allen display his leadership, he should look no further than the amount of punishment and injuries he has played through for his teammates. Allen has played through head shots (which I believe were concussions), bruises he acquired from being out defacto RB, and very painful/limiting UCL injuries.

He has repeatedly stood up for his teammates as well. For example, he had Diggs back, even when Diggs ran out of the stadium after playoff losses rather than face reporters questions.

He does not have to be Tom Brady, yelling at everyone. He is Josh Allen.

edit: I am tired of defending Josh Allen, because he shouldn’t need defending. If anyone should be above reproach, it’s him.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I'm our case however, not sure it's a good idea to have McD doing too much "babysitting" over Allen. 

There's a significant and unbreachable disconnect between McD and Allen/Offense.  

And you got that from your "bat phone!"

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Another Shaw gem.  And Graham seems to yet again be trying to make himself part of the story.

Too many "drama queens" on TBD!

20 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Terry Pegula owns the huddle, lock stock and barrel, 

Maybe the huddle but not the playing field or the game!

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

Outside of the Diggs drama, I've never heard of a player that won't run through a wall for Josh.  Even players on other teams talk about wanting to play with him.

I have zero concerns with Josh's leadership on this team

But we want drama on TBD!

Well, one can say he owns 1/32 of the game…,  lol 👍
oh, and yes he does own part of the field, and part of the new stadium, so…, lol👍

Edited by Don Otreply

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I think we will see Josh as more of "the offensive face" this year.  Really, Diggs was brought in not only because of his talent, but because he's had success in the league and for his leadership.  That creates conflicts, as it did, when you then have a generational QB who needs to be the leader.  We won't have that issue anymore.  Diggs can now go yell at Stroud.  

I was in the army for a while and my least favorite job was when I became the XO (Executive Officer/second in command) of a cavalry troop. There were 3 other lieutenants in the troop who were all my friends.  We played football and drank beer together.  I didn't outrank them (we were all first lieutenants) but positionally, when I became the XO, I did have some authority over them.

When the Commanding Officer (CO) made an unpopular decision, he'd often let me tell the other lieutenants.  They'd respond with something like, "C'mon, Hondo, you know that's bullcrap.  We're not doing that!"  And they'd argue with me as their friend, not their boss, instead of saying "Roger that," and getting at it.  In the end, I would require them to carry out the orders as given while they grumbled.  Until I solved that problem, life wasn't fun.  

It can be challenging being an equal to your friends but positionally in a leadership position at the same time.  I think that's what Josh faced with Diggs.  They were best friend for a while.  But sometimes Diggs would run a lazy route, cop an attitude, or do something else that needed to be corrected.  And Josh would find it difficult to play the role of leader because of their past friendship.  There may have been some personal drama involved too, as Gunner and others have speculated, that made it even more difficult.  And if Josh wasn't holding Diggs accountable, he couldn't hold the other players accountable.  

In short, I think you're right.  I think Diggs' departure will be good for Josh.  The receivers we have now see Josh as their QB and team captain, not as their old gaming buddy who may or may not have slept with their girl.  I hope he takes this opportunity to become a more vocal leader.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was in the army for a while and my least favorite job was when I became the XO (Executive Officer/second in command) of a cavalry troop. There were 3 other lieutenants in the troop who were all my friends.  We played football and drank beer together.  I didn't outrank them (we were all first lieutenants) but positionally, when I became the XO, I did have some authority over them.

When the Commanding Officer (CO) made an unpopular decision, he'd often let me tell the other lieutenants.  They'd respond with something like, "C'mon, Hondo, you know that's bullcrap.  We're not doing that!"  And they'd argue with me as their friend, not their boss, instead of saying "Roger that," and getting at it.  In the end, I would require them to carry out the orders as given while they grumbled.  Until I solved that problem, life wasn't fun.  

It can be challenging being an equal to your friends but positionally in a leadership position at the same time.  I think that's what Josh faced with Diggs.  They were best friend for a while.  But sometimes Diggs would run a lazy route, cop an attitude, or do something else that needed to be corrected.  And Josh would find it difficult to play the role of leader because of their past friendship.  There may have been some personal drama involved too, as Gunner and others have speculated, that made it even more difficult.  And if Josh wasn't holding Diggs accountable, he couldn't hold the other players accountable.  

In short, I think you're right.  I think Diggs' departure will be good for Josh.  The receivers we have now see Josh as their QB and team captain, not as their old gaming buddy who may or may not have slept with their girl.  I hope he takes this opportunity to become a more vocal leader.  

This really resonated with me.  At one point in my professional career, I was hired into a position of leadership over, among others, a man literally old enough to be my father and one of the more idiosyncratic "march to your own drummer" people I've ever met.   When there were new policies, just like your buds, they would  argue.  We worked it out eventually, but it was a tricky balance between building a friendly relationship, commanding respect, and laying it down policies had to be followed.

I'm one who thinks that Diggs and Allen were never true "best friends"; I think they have very different interests and that was to a degree, a media storyline.  But they did, for real, have 2.75 highly successful years together.  When Diggs joined the team, Allen was a 3rd year player who hadn't broken 59% completions and who averaged less than 200 passing YPG.  Diggs was a 6th year player who had 2 consecutive >1000 yd seasons and had played in a conference championship.  Dawkins wrote about Diggs how he went to watch him work out with the attitude "Alright, new guy. What you got." and came away saying "Legit had no idea people could be this good at football."  

So yeah, in 2020 and 2021 Allen was working with 3 WR who had more experience and accomplishments in the league than he, and it was probably not a bad thing for him to listen to them more than he tried to correct them.  But you're right, in the end, sometimes they needed to be told "hey, you rounded that route, if you made a sharp cut you'd be open" "you need to run that route like you mean it, not take the play off" etc. and since Allen started out playing the "little brother" role, it was likely hard to make that transition to saying "you - listen up!  you want success, this is what I need from you."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1