Pegula imploring Beane and McD to get Allen to embrace a CEO role?

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's an interesting problem that Josh has.  Graham may have overstepped a bit in characterizing what he thought he heard Pegula say, but I think his point is fundamentally correct.  Josh can't be the leader of a gang of junior high school kids, goofing around outside the soda shop.  Leaders of men, leaders of organizations, necessarily must stand apart, at least a bit, from the members of the gang, because leaders of men have to hold men accountable for their actions.  

Yes, there may be different styles.   If I think about Manning, Brady, and Mahomes, their demeanor on field may have been different - that is, they had different styles, but in each case it was pretty clear that each demand accountability from his teammates.  It's very difficult, if not impossible, to be one of the guys and hold people accountable.  

I think that Diggs, and Coleman's comment about Josh being goofier than Coleman, are two examples of why Josh needs to be more of the boss.  In a discussion here a week ago about Diggs, we talked about how Diggs was a problem for Allen.  Diggs wanting the ball put pressure on Allen to look his way, which means that Allen's ability to run the offense as designed was hampered in a way.  Diggs could get away with being demanding because Josh wasn't the CEO; in effect, the atmosphere around Allen allows other players to exercise some authority, some power, some control over what's going on, and that shouldn't happen.  And once a guy takes some of that power, the way that Diggs did, it's hard to take it back, and everyone on the team sees that the QB doesn't have complete control.  

Coleman wasn't trying to take control by the goofy comment.  In fact, unconsciously he may have been saying that Josh needs to take control.  He sounded surprised that Josh could be goofy.  Why would he be surprised?  Because his sense of how football works is that the QB is supposed to be in control, not making fart jokes in study hall.  

No one on the Patriots offense told Brady how something was going to work.  No one told Peyton.  And it looks to me like no one tells Mahomes, either.  As I said, their styles differ, but in the case of all three, the QB was indisputably in control.  Think about the difference between Kelce and Diggs.  I have no doubt that on the sideline Kelce will talk to Mahomes, and sometimes he may be animated about what he's trying to communicate, but he still understands that Patrick is going to make decisions the way Patrick thinks they have to be made. 

Diggs was different; Diggs didn't always seem prepared to accept what Josh decided.  If Josh didn't do it the way Diggs wanted, sometimes Diggs reacted.  That can't be the way it works - the QB's decision making has to be accepted absolutely by every player; otherwise, someone else (Diggs, for example) is sharing responsibility for leading, the other players see it, and then the players begin to have doubts about who to follow. 

Players understand that the head coach gets absolute respect.  He's the boss.  But there are leaders at every level, and at every level the leaders have to have the respect of the players they lead.  McBeane want a leader in every position room. It's something they've always said is key to a solid team.  Even more critical is leadership of the entire offense - the leader in every position room has to show respect and follow the leader of the offense.  In a sense, Dawkins and McGovern and Shakir and Samuel and Hollins and Cook all have to respect and follow Josh and show the other guys in their room that respect. 

And Josh has to behave in a way that quietly but forcefully demands that respect.   When Josh says they're going to do something, everyone on the offense has to respect that decision, and no one can be thinking in the back of his head, "I wonder what Diggs thinks about that."  And the only way that can happen is if Josh behaves like the boss, which means that he has to set himself apart from the gang.  He can hang with them, he can joke with them, but everyone in the room has to understand that the moment Josh says jump, they're all jumping.  

Very well said

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Honestly, for all his accolades, leader is one I seldom hear about Josh.  Not everyone is cut out to be “that guy”. 

Leadership comes in many different forms.  In football, performance in practice and on the field are big ones.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

You wanna see someone fail as a leader... make them change into something that they are not... these are grown men and professionals and can smell bs a mile away. People lead with many different styles. But the most effective lead by example in within their own authentic personality. That being said, I would say I would like to see Josh naturally mature so that his leadership is well a bit more focused and driving... But no I dont want him to lose his youthful enthusiasm for the game... that to me is fun to watch... 

Leadership is not innate.  It's a learned skill.  The military trains it.  So do many large corporations.  

It's not about transforming someone into something they're not.  And it doesn't require you to learn to lose your youthful enthusiasm.  It's about learning effective practices that help you positively impact the people you lead.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's an interesting problem that Josh has.  Graham may have overstepped a bit in characterizing what he thought he heard Pegula say, but I think his point is fundamentally correct.  Josh can't be the leader of a gang of junior high school kids, goofing around outside the soda shop.  Leaders of men, leaders of organizations, necessarily must stand apart, at least a bit, from the members of the gang, because leaders of men have to hold men accountable for their actions.  

Yes, there may be different styles.   If I think about Manning, Brady, and Mahomes, their demeanor on field may have been different - that is, they had different styles, but in each case it was pretty clear that each demand accountability from his teammates.  It's very difficult, if not impossible, to be one of the guys and hold people accountable.  

I think that Diggs, and Coleman's comment about Josh being goofier than Coleman, are two examples of why Josh needs to be more of the boss.  In a discussion here a week ago about Diggs, we talked about how Diggs was a problem for Allen.  Diggs wanting the ball put pressure on Allen to look his way, which means that Allen's ability to run the offense as designed was hampered in a way.  Diggs could get away with being demanding because Josh wasn't the CEO; in effect, the atmosphere around Allen allows other players to exercise some authority, some power, some control over what's going on, and that shouldn't happen.  And once a guy takes some of that power, the way that Diggs did, it's hard to take it back, and everyone on the team sees that the QB doesn't have complete control.  

Coleman wasn't trying to take control by the goofy comment.  In fact, unconsciously he may have been saying that Josh needs to take control.  He sounded surprised that Josh could be goofy.  Why would he be surprised?  Because his sense of how football works is that the QB is supposed to be in control, not making fart jokes in study hall.  

No one on the Patriots offense told Brady how something was going to work.  No one told Peyton.  And it looks to me like no one tells Mahomes, either.  As I said, their styles differ, but in the case of all three, the QB was indisputably in control.  Think about the difference between Kelce and Diggs.  I have no doubt that on the sideline Kelce will talk to Mahomes, and sometimes he may be animated about what he's trying to communicate, but he still understands that Patrick is going to make decisions the way Patrick thinks they have to be made. 

Diggs was different; Diggs didn't always seem prepared to accept what Josh decided.  If Josh didn't do it the way Diggs wanted, sometimes Diggs reacted.  That can't be the way it works - the QB's decision making has to be accepted absolutely by every player; otherwise, someone else (Diggs, for example) is sharing responsibility for leading, the other players see it, and then the players begin to have doubts about who to follow. 

Players understand that the head coach gets absolute respect.  He's the boss.  But there are leaders at every level, and at every level the leaders have to have the respect of the players they lead.  McBeane want a leader in every position room. It's something they've always said is key to a solid team.  Even more critical is leadership of the entire offense - the leader in every position room has to show respect and follow the leader of the offense.  In a sense, Dawkins and McGovern and Shakir and Samuel and Hollins and Cook all have to respect and follow Josh and show the other guys in their room that respect. 

And Josh has to behave in a way that quietly but forcefully demands that respect.   When Josh says they're going to do something, everyone on the offense has to respect that decision, and no one can be thinking in the back of his head, "I wonder what Diggs thinks about that."  And the only way that can happen is if Josh behaves like the boss, which means that he has to set himself apart from the gang.  He can hang with them, he can joke with them, but everyone in the room has to understand that the moment Josh says jump, they're all jumping.  

I see respect is the main concept in this treatise on leadership.  Without it organizations/teams never become great.  Over at Google and Apple, etc, respect built on fear isn’t the driver since fear hampers creativity and innovation.  Today’s workplace is different than the 50s and 60s.  Are today’s football teams like those of Lombardi?  Definitely not.  I think Mahomey and Kelce have a mutual mind about execution and winning.  JA17 and SD14 didn’t the last 2 years.  I think he lost respect for Josh.  This may be due to many of the things that Shaw points out.  Does Mahomey get goofy with teammates?  It appears so, but there’s a fine line.  I do like that Josh has fun playing football, but he has to have the respect of his team mates that is based not only on his ability to win but his ability to hold everyone accountable.  The former is evident, but his commitment to being a leader that holds everyone accountable is only known by his team mates and coaches at this point.  If he hasn’t done this in the past, he has a great opportunity to do so now.

• Like (+1) 1

This concept is funny to me as I have similarities to Josh and have been asked before to be more serious, more of a traditional team leader because I work hard. But the bottom line is it’s not who I am. It doesn’t work and it’s better for those around me to be something real than something fake.

Authenticity is an important part of leadership. This is who Allen is. not something he is going to grow out of. It’s not being a class clown, he has a playfulness to him and now he goes about life and sure, it looks youthful  but its not immaturity. He will be a 60 year old man and still be this way. Other players on the team need to fill whatever void this has in our leadership circle. What Allen can fill is keeping our team on track when the train is off the tracks. Keeping the mood light. All of which matters for balance. He will also feel more comfortable in leadership situations with Diggs off the team. Not a knock to Diggs but the way Josh leads, he’s not going to grab it by the horns but as he feels more like he’s earned it, he deserves to be in that place, he will turn it on more within the context of who he is. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Leadership is not innate.  It's a learned skill.  The military trains it.  So do many large corporations.  

It's not about transforming someone into something they're not.  And it doesn't require you to learn to lose your youthful enthusiasm.  It's about learning effective practices that help you positively impact the people you lead.  

Oh, I couldnt agree more about it being a skill that needs to be taught, learned and refined based on experience. There is innateness too it as well as some peoples default is to lead and this is true with Josh and I would say most QBs that are successful. However, exactly as you stated it needs to be learned and understood. I always say in our business world we take people who are good at tasks and make them leaders and yet never train them or show them how. 

I think from my perspective successful leadership is about applying those learned leadership skills to your authentic self and innate ability to lead... because if you try to be something you are not, you will fail. 

and lastly yes, it should not require you lose your youthful enthusiasm, in fact that was the point at least for me. That is who JA is, they should not look to change that in him (back to authentic self) 

• Like (+1) 2

While I think there is validity to the ideas of leading by example and of letting a player be his authentic self, I DO agree that it's time for Josh to ascend to the role of "unquestioned leader" of this team. 

I think that part of the thinking behind getting rid of Diggs and going so young on offense and completely refurbishing the WR corps was to give Josh a clean slate and the runway to take over a full and more assertive leadership role.

Part of being a leader, unfortunately, is that sometimes you have to be a boss. Sometimes you have to hold guys accountable, to chew them out, to set the tone for how things need to be and let them know if they're not meeting that standard. It may mean giving up a bit of your "just one of the guys" goofiness.

If you'll excuse me for using a silly example, I think of Michael Scott from The Office (which, by the way, is a show we know Josh loves). Michael desperately wants to be loved by his employees, to crack jokes and be "one of the guys". But in so doing, some of the employees don't really respect him, and some of them walk all over him, knowing that he doesn't have the fortitude to discipline them or hold them accountable for messing up. Again, I realize that's a bit of a silly example, but you get the idea. Josh Allen may have to show that he can be a real leader and NOT always just "one of the guys" in order to provide the optimal leadership.

I don't think this is a "nothing burger" report by Tim Graham. I think there's validity to it, and I think Josh knows it. Multiple reporters have talked about how much more of an assertive, demonstrative leader he appears to be so far in OTAs and camp. Coach McDermott himself mentioned it. I don't think this is by accident. Josh may always be "one of the guys" and may always be a goofball, but starting this season, I think you'll see a much more purposeful, assertive Josh Allen, and it may very well take his game -- and his team -- to new heights.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MJS said:

A speculative article based on speculation from Tim Graham. Seems like a bunch of crap to me.

How is it a bunch of crap?  The rift between Diggs and Allen went on for over a year both privately and at times spilling into public view.  I’m sure Pegula would have much preferred it to have been handled inside the locker room instead of having it reach the point where the team had to trade the second best player on the team and eat over $30 million in cap space to do so.

We all watched Diggs berate Josh on the sideline of the Bengals game, and Josh just sat there and didn’t react. (The camera then cutting away to the Bengals sideline showing Eli Apple laughing as he mocked bending them over and spanking their asses was a hell of a contrast).  I can absolutely see Pegula talking to Beane and McDermott about how they can better equip Josh to deal with similar situations in the future.  It seems like a perfectly normal conversation to have between an owner and upper management.  I’d be more surprised if it didn’t happen.  

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

While I think there is validity to the ideas of leading by example and of letting a player be his authentic self, I DO agree that it's time for Josh to ascend to the role of "unquestioned leader" of this team. 

I think that part of the thinking behind getting rid of Diggs and going so young on offense and completely refurbishing the WR corps was to give Josh a clean slate and the runway to take over a full and more assertive leadership role.

Part of being a leader, unfortunately, is that sometimes you have to be a boss. Sometimes you have to hold guys accountable, to chew them out, to set the tone for how things need to be and let them know if they're not meeting that standard. It may mean giving up a bit of your "just one of the guys" goofiness.

If you'll excuse me for using a silly example, I think of Michael Scott from The Office (which, by the way, is a show we know Josh loves). Michael desperately wants to be loved by his employees, to crack jokes and be "one of the guys". But in so doing, some of the employees don't really respect him, and some of them walk all over him, knowing that he doesn't have the fortitude to discipline them or hold them accountable for messing up. Again, I realize that's a bit of a silly example, but you get the idea. Josh Allen may have to show that he can be a real leader and NOT always just "one of the guys" in order to provide the optimal leadership.

I don't think this is a "nothing burger" report by Tim Graham. I think there's validity to it, and I think Josh knows it. Multiple reporters have talked about how much more of an assertive, demonstrative leader he appears to be so far in OTAs and camp. Coach McDermott himself mentioned it. I don't think this is by accident. Josh may always be "one of the guys" and may always be a goofball, but starting this season, I think you'll see a much more purposeful, assertive Josh Allen, and it may very well take his game -- and his team -- to new heights.

Well said, my hope is that he matures and takes charge (within his authentic self) especially with the spector of Diggs being gone. The team, himself, and hopefully the record will benefit from it. I think at this point to take the next step, this will be required. I think the good news is that there is a re tooling going on with a lot of newer players looking for more leadership him filling that void will go a long way in the transformation of the team. Not necessarily sure that "chewing out" is required... unless of course he is disposed to that. There are ways outside of that to hold people accountable... and he should hopefully do that in his way... but yes however it gets done, it needs to happen. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JP51 said:

Oh, I couldnt agree more about it being a skill that needs to be taught, learned and refined based on experience. There is innateness too it as well as some peoples default is to lead and this is true with Josh and I would say most QBs that are successful. However, exactly as you stated it needs to be learned and understood. I always say in our business world we take people who are good at tasks and make them leaders and yet never train them or show them how. 

I think from my perspective successful leadership is about applying those learned leadership skills to your authentic self and innate ability to lead... because if you try to be something you are not, you will fail. 

and lastly yes, it should not require you lose your youthful enthusiasm, in fact that was the point at least for me. That is who JA is, they should not look to change that in him (back to authentic self) 

A lot of people are saying good and interesting things about this subject.  One of many is this point - leaders do have to be their "authentic selves."  The point is not that Josh has to become a different person; it is that he has to learn how to command the respect of those who must take direction from him, which is everyone on the offense.  (The defense, too, because Josh has to be the top dog among all the players, but first things first, and that's the offense.)

And don't think for a minute that McDermott isn't talking to him about this.   As I said earlier, we've heard often from McBeane about how they need a veteran leader in every position room, and we hear over and over again from younger guys who understand that they are transitioning into positional leadership roles.  Bernard talked about it a week or two ago.  So, if McDermott is talking to all those positional guys about their leadership roles and how to grow into those roles, we can be sure that he's talking to Josh.  McDermott doesn't leave anything to just happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

How is it a bunch of crap?  The rift between Diggs and Allen went on for over a year both privately and at times spilling into public view.  I’m sure Pegula would have much preferred it to have been handled inside the locker room instead of having it reach the point where the team had to trade the second best player on the team and eat over $30 million in cap space to do so.

We all watched Diggs berate Josh on the sideline of the Bengals game, and Josh just sat there and didn’t react. (The camera then cutting away to the Bengals sideline showing Eli Apple laughing as he mocked bending them over and spanking their asses was a hell of a contrast).  I can absolutely see Pegula talking to Beane and McDermott about how they can better equip Josh to deal with similar situations in the future.  It seems like a perfectly normal conversation to have between an owner and upper management.  I’d be more surprised if it didn’t happen.  

More speculation.

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

A lot of people are saying good and interesting things about this subject.  One of many is this point - leaders do have to be their "authentic selves."  The point is not that Josh has to become a different person; it is that he has to learn how to command the respect of those who must take direction from him, which is everyone on the offense.  (The defense, too, because Josh has to be the top dog among all the players, but first things first, and that's the offense.)

And don't think for a minute that McDermott isn't talking to him about this.   As I said earlier, we've heard often from McBeane about how they need a veteran leader in every position room, and we hear over and over again from younger guys who understand that they are transitioning into positional leadership roles.  Bernard talked about it a week or two ago.  So, if McDermott is talking to all those positional guys about their leadership roles and how to grow into those roles, we can be sure that he's talking to Josh.  McDermott doesn't leave anything to just happen. 

Agreed 100% he must learn how to be an effective leader...  Not that my life makes any difference here, but I lead a large group of people, I am learning this skill daily it never stops just like anything else you do... nothing ever stays stagnant, you move forward or you move back. He needs to focus on this and learning his craft like any of us do. Being a top 3 QB isnt good enough, he needs to be a top 3 leader as well... its time that he gave his leadership skills some time and attention, as everyone will benefit. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think we will see Josh as more of "the offensive face" this year.  Really, Diggs was brought in not only because of his talent, but because he's had success in the league and for his leadership.  That creates conflicts, as it did, when you then have a generational QB who needs to be the leader.  We won't have that issue anymore.  Diggs can now go yell at Stroud.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

MCD very quickly asserted that it’s pretty obvious that is not Terry’s style whatsoever and I would agree with that from his track record. Some of the assumptions in the responses here are alarming. Wow what a time we live in. Josh is leading more because he’s more mature, it’s needed with the turnover on the offense, and likely it’s been discussed and planned in long ago in the off season. Graham has not done himself many favors in the past few years.

If you go down route 5 a ways this has been Terrys style. Secret meetings with Darcy Regier, firing Bots for not falling in line, the yes man that is Kevyn Adams. 

Terry may not be assertive like Jerry Jones but he has some expectations and directions. 

It’s been fairly well reported that McBeane have worked to keep the Bills insulated from the Sabres. It’s also been rumored that in their contract extensions McBeane both have a no meddling clause that gives them final say in all football decisions. Something others have asked for with the Sabres but refused. 

• Eyeroll 1

Looks like Tim Graham is just desperate for some clicks before the season starts. 'Pegula's imploring Beane'... BEGGING Beane & Sean to get Josh to be more of a CEO? Don't the best CEO's delegate responsibility to those who perform? Isn't that what Josh did last year?

Sorry this whole article comes off as nonsense. Regarding the DIGGS situation, i have a feeling regardless of anything Josh did or didnt do, Tim Graham would come up with an article criticizing it. But not with any facts or insider information, but just more speculation & opinion.

Imho each player needs to be held accountable for their own actions, so i don't blame Josh for Diggs, i blame Diggs for Diggs & i can blame the coaching too, but i wouldnt blame Josh for not being a CEO lol.

This article did do 1 thing for me tho, it made me feel more confident in our team & Allen, if this is the best Graham can come up with for a controversy in the offseason, we're not in bad shape!

I hope the change in expectations this season & any haters voices that find their way to the team, just motivate our guys to go win a SB when nobody else expects it. I don't want Josh to be a CEO... there's some truly awful CEO's out there. I'd prefer Josh to be who we drafted him to be, the best QB we've had in decades & maybe ever, who is a class act on & off the field & 1 of the top 3 QB's in the league. We win BECAUSE of Josh, not in spite of him. And we won 6 of those last 7 games in spite of Diggs play dropping off a cliff. The team always seemed to be walking on eggshells with Stef, where it seemed to take the focus off the bigger picture. Now we wont have that problem & that can only be a good thing imho.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1