Pegula imploring Beane and McD to get Allen to embrace a CEO role?

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I will say a free agent player the Bills signed came here and remarked privately how much of a joker Josh was and it took this guy back a little bit because it seemed over the top. 

Source?

Josh, clearly, is a funny guy. We see it all the time. Part of leading a football team is keeping it fun. Any football season is long and the NFL’s season is the longest. No doubt that Josh is prepared to play each week and when the game is on the line everyone in a Bills uniform (and Bills gear) is looking at him to pull them out from the jaws of defeat.

If the story you mentioned is true it is a giant nothing-burger for me. 

Edited by The Cincinnati Kid
Spelling

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

I didn't read the article, but I do t think Allen being more assertive, or a better leader isn't a bad thing. He can still be "one of the guys" or whatever, and still be a boss 

Ya, I mean he's naturally a jokester and a laid back guy but on that gridiron and in that locker room, it's time he asserts himself as the boss and gets in guys faces if they're not performing to their potential.  

31 minutes ago, The Cincinnati Kid said:

Source?

Josh, clearly, is a funny guy. We see it all the time. Part of leading a football team is keeping it fun. Any football season is long and the NFL’s season is the longest. No doubt that Josh is prepared to play each week and when the game is on the line everyone in a Bills uniform (and Bills gear) is looking at him to pull them out from the jaws of defeat.

If the story you mentioned is true it is a giant nothing-burger for me. 

Even Keon who's a few years younger said Josh is goofier than me. Not in a bad way, just something he was a bit surprised about, when asked what he didn't expect from 17

Edited by JerseyBills

McD was interviewed by Jeremy and Joe at camp yesterday.  He debunked the report by Tim Graham and stated Josh has evolved as a leader for the last seven years.  He also commented there are a lot of ways to lead.  Finally, he states Terry Pegula would never make these kind of comments.  He said, “Believe me, Terry doesn’t run his team in this manner”.  

I believed him.  It didn’t get with Pegula’s MO, and what intel did Graham actually receive as no one gets that close to Terry.  He’s the farthest thing from that blowhard, Jerrah.  Pegula has stated he emulates the Mara’s and Rooney family, not someone like Jones who is a media hog.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Tim Graham loves to stir the pot 

The quote sure feels that way.  I have no qualms with Allen evolving as a leader and the Bills players should hold each other accountable. However, this is a team sport not a business.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Allen can’t kick FGs and catch passes. If the the 2023 Bills could have done those things 2% better we win it all.

Maybe. Allen is blameless 2/5 years in the playoffs. So he does have some blame for the Bills not winning a Super Bowl.

Facts are Allen is the biggest reason we are a Super Bowl contender. He will win one someday. I hope it’s more of a Peyton Manning path than a Matthew Stafford path.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is such a moronic article and thing to be said. Why do people think the only way to be a good leader is to publicly call out your teammates in the middle of a game? How do we know Josh doesn’t talk to guys throughout the week about things or yells at them then? So because we can’t see it, it must never happen??

This whole “leaders hold their teammates accountable by screaming at them” is such a stupid way to think about leadership. You don’t have to yell at your teammates and embarrass them to be considered a good leader, that thinking has to stop 

I'm not sure where you got that from, but that isn't what being a CEO is about.  It's more about the way you carry yourself and there is a different type of respect you command than when you are a normal employee. And about not being "one of the guys", but more of someone who is in charge.

• Thank you (+1) 2

You wanna see someone fail as a leader... make them change into something that they are not... these are grown men and professionals and can smell bs a mile away. People lead with many different styles. But the most effective lead by example in within their own authentic personality. That being said, I would say I would like to see Josh naturally mature so that his leadership is well a bit more focused and driving... But no I dont want him to lose his youthful enthusiasm for the game... that to me is fun to watch... 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think it's an interesting problem that Josh has.  Graham may have overstepped a bit in characterizing what he thought he heard Pegula say, but I think his point is fundamentally correct.  Josh can't be the leader of a gang of junior high school kids, goofing around outside the soda shop.  Leaders of men, leaders of organizations, necessarily must stand apart, at least a bit, from the members of the gang, because leaders of men have to hold men accountable for their actions.  

Yes, there may be different styles.   If I think about Manning, Brady, and Mahomes, their demeanor on field may have been different - that is, they had different styles, but in each case it was pretty clear that each demand accountability from his teammates.  It's very difficult, if not impossible, to be one of the guys and hold people accountable.  

I think that Diggs, and Coleman's comment about Josh being goofier than Coleman, are two examples of why Josh needs to be more of the boss.  In a discussion here a week ago about Diggs, we talked about how Diggs was a problem for Allen.  Diggs wanting the ball put pressure on Allen to look his way, which means that Allen's ability to run the offense as designed was hampered in a way.  Diggs could get away with being demanding because Josh wasn't the CEO; in effect, the atmosphere around Allen allows other players to exercise some authority, some power, some control over what's going on, and that shouldn't happen.  And once a guy takes some of that power, the way that Diggs did, it's hard to take it back, and everyone on the team sees that the QB doesn't have complete control.  

Coleman wasn't trying to take control by the goofy comment.  In fact, unconsciously he may have been saying that Josh needs to take control.  He sounded surprised that Josh could be goofy.  Why would he be surprised?  Because his sense of how football works is that the QB is supposed to be in control, not making fart jokes in study hall.  

No one on the Patriots offense told Brady how something was going to work.  No one told Peyton.  And it looks to me like no one tells Mahomes, either.  As I said, their styles differ, but in the case of all three, the QB was indisputably in control.  Think about the difference between Kelce and Diggs.  I have no doubt that on the sideline Kelce will talk to Mahomes, and sometimes he may be animated about what he's trying to communicate, but he still understands that Patrick is going to make decisions the way Patrick thinks they have to be made. 

Diggs was different; Diggs didn't always seem prepared to accept what Josh decided.  If Josh didn't do it the way Diggs wanted, sometimes Diggs reacted.  That can't be the way it works - the QB's decision making has to be accepted absolutely by every player; otherwise, someone else (Diggs, for example) is sharing responsibility for leading, the other players see it, and then the players begin to have doubts about who to follow. 

Players understand that the head coach gets absolute respect.  He's the boss.  But there are leaders at every level, and at every level the leaders have to have the respect of the players they lead.  McBeane want a leader in every position room. It's something they've always said is key to a solid team.  Even more critical is leadership of the entire offense - the leader in every position room has to show respect and follow the leader of the offense.  In a sense, Dawkins and McGovern and Shakir and Samuel and Hollins and Cook all have to respect and follow Josh and show the other guys in their room that respect. 

And Josh has to behave in a way that quietly but forcefully demands that respect.   When Josh says they're going to do something, everyone on the offense has to respect that decision, and no one can be thinking in the back of his head, "I wonder what Diggs thinks about that."  And the only way that can happen is if Josh behaves like the boss, which means that he has to set himself apart from the gang.  He can hang with them, he can joke with them, but everyone in the room has to understand that the moment Josh says jump, they're all jumping.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's an interesting problem that Josh has.  Graham may have overstepped a bit in characterizing what he thought he heard Pegula say, but I think his point is fundamentally correct.  Josh can't the leader of a gang of junior high school kids, goofing around outside the soda shop.  Leaders of men, leaders of organizations, necessarily must stand apart, at least a bit, from the members of the gang, because leaders of men have to hold men accountable for their actions.  

Yes, there may be different styles.   If I think about Manning, Brady, and Mahomes, their demeanor on field may have different - that is, they had different styles, but in each case it was pretty clear that each demand accountability from his teammates.  It's very difficult, if not impossible, to be one of the guys and hold people accountable.  

I think that Diggs, and Coleman's comment about Josh being goofier than Coleman, are two examples of why Josh needs to be more of the boss.  In a discussion here a week about Diggs, we talked about how Diggs was a problem for Allen.  Diggs wanting the ball put pressure on Allen to look his way, which means that Allen's ability to run the offense as designed was hampered in a way.  Diggs could get away being demanding because Josh wasn't the CEO; in effect, the atmosphere around Allen allows other players to exercise some authority, some power, some control over what's going on, and that shouldn't happen.  And once a guy takes some of that power, the way that Diggs did, it's hard to take it back, and everyone on the team sees that the QB doesn't have complete control.  

Coleman wasn't trying to take control by the goofy comment.  In fact, unconsciously he may have been saying that Josh needs to take control.  He sounded surprised that Josh could be goofy.  Why would he bee surprised?  Because his sense of how football works is that the QB is supposed to be in control, not making fart jokes in study hall.  

No one on the Patriots offense told Brady how something was going to work.  No one told Peyton.  And it looks to me like no one tells Mahomes, either.  As I said, their styles differ, but in the case of all three, the QB was indisputably in control.  Think about the difference between Kelce and Diggs.  I have no doubt that on the sideline Kelce will talk to Mahomes, and sometimes he may be animated about what he's trying to communicate, but he still understands that Patrick is going to make decisions the way Patrick thinks they have to be made. 

Diggs was different; Diggs didn't always seem prepared to accept what Josh decided.  If Josh didn't do it the way Diggs wanted, sometimes Diggs reacted.  That can't be the way it works - the QB's decision making has to be accepted absolutely by every player; otherwise, someone else (Diggs, for example) is sharing responsibility for leading, the other players see it, and then the players begin to have doubts about who to follow. 

Players understand that the head coach gets absolute respect.  He's the boss.  But there are are leaders at every level, and at every level the leaders have to have the respect of the players they lead.  McBeane want a leader in every position room. It's something they've always said is key to a solid team.  Even more critical is leadership of the entire offense - the leader in every position room has to show respect and follow the leader of the offense.  In a sense, Dawkins and McGovern and Shakir and Samuel and Hollins and Cook all have to respect and follow Josh and show the other guys in their room that respect. 

And Josh has to behave in a way that quietly but forcefully demands that respect.   When Josh says they're going to do something, everyone on the offense has to respect that decision, and no one can be thinking in the back of his head, "I wonder what Diggs thinks about that."  And the only way that can happen is if Josh behaves like the boss, which means that he has to set himself apart from the gang.  He can hang with them, he can joke with them, but everyone in the room has to understand that the moment Josh says jump, they're all jumping.  

Another Shaw gem.  And Graham seems to yet again be trying to make himself part of the story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Until he sells 25% of it...

“ Until “  then, he owns it…,  lock stock and barrel, 

like it or not, Pegs didn’t become a multi billionaire by accident, the guy knows what he is up to, and is more successful than any of us on this MB, he does not need to be a football lifer to know that Josh could stand to step up his game in this regard, player worship tends to jump the shark on team message boards, 

nuthin but luv Hurly,

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Haven't seen this mentioned on here. I used the search, so if it is please feel free to merge.

Pegula apparently is upset that Allen has not embraced being in more of a CEO type role and instead is more of the "guy's guy" with teammates. Pegula wants Allen to be "above" teammates and the clear leader in that way as well similar to how some other QBs are...most notably like Brady probably.

Pegula wants Allen to exhibit more of an "Executive Demeanor" and less of the "buddy buddy" way he is now with teammates...

Assuming this is because it blurs the lines and allows others to think it's OK to get away with some things that otherwise they may not feel it would be OK to get away with? Or perhaps that they are a little more lax than they should be?

Article eludes to that being part of the reason Diggs wanted out or had some issues?

Either way sounds like we are likely going to be in for a new version of Allen this year if they are successful, and one where he may be holding others more accountable.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/7/27/24206901/terry-pegula-urging-qb-josh-allen-to-be-a-new-kind-of-leader-for-buffalo-bills-in-2024

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MR8 said:

Boomer mentality... It's a generational gap in understanding leadership across the board.

Same issues in every industry and sector right now.  Boomer leaders with traditional Boomer mentalities and styles hating younger generations way of doing things.  Anyone who wants an interesting read on the topic should take a look T "The Next America".  It's a decade old now but I'm shocked how few people know it... Also it was predicting 10 years ago the generational culture clash we literally are living today.  Fascinating.

But yeah, 70+ year old Terry doesn't like 27 year old Josh's leadership style... Probably the 50 years difference in age and cultural development.  I don't know how josh "leads" with any certainty, and frankly no one else on here does either.  So rather than us talking about what he does or doesn't need to do more of, let's just chalk this up to generational differences and move on.  

I don't think Taylor's book necessarily supports your premise.    Differing leadership styles are more about differences in personalities than differences in generational sensibilities.

Josh leads by example on the field. I don't recall ever seeing him get on another player that is not playing up to the level that is expected. Somebody needs to hold players accountable on the field and get their head in the game when needed. Is that the role of the QB or the coach? It doesn't seem to be Josh's nature to act like "Tom Brady". 

Some guys play like they are having fun. Some guys play like it is life or death. They don't always agree.

Thats what I love about Allen. He is one of the guys and he lets his work on the field do his talking. He is also a terrific guy outside of the team, as shown in everyting he does.

Find players with the mental capacity to do their jobs day in and day out without a need for someone to be in there face. 

9 hours ago, Lfod said:

I figured that is a coaches job. It wouldnt be a concern of mine for our QB to have babysitting pressure. 

I'm our case however, not sure it's a good idea to have McD doing too much "babysitting" over Allen. 

There's a significant and unbreachable disconnect between McD and Allen/Offense.  

Edited by PBF81