Pegula imploring Beane and McD to get Allen to embrace a CEO role?

58 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I mean if anyone knows how to develop a leader it's Terry ... Look at what he did with Ryan O'Reilly and then Jack Eichel! Two cup winners....

Thank you MR I was going to mention his record of picking team leaders is unbelievable just look at all the great leaders the Sabres have produced….for other teams. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Josh is leading more because he’s more mature,

This is the crux to me, right here.

If Josh Allen tries to be anything but himself, it simply will not work. Every guy in that locker room will see right through it because you can't hide what you are from your teammates. Trying to be something you're not will have the exact opposite effect you're trying to accomplish.

If his leadership style evolves because he is evolving as a person, then great; he's a good man and it will undoubtedly be a positive change. But if at any point in the past present or future, anybody tries to convince him to affect some kind of faux professional leadership style, it's going to blow up in their faces.

I get the sense Allen is smart enough to recognize that and isn't going to make the mistake of trying to pretend he's something he isn't.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

A speculative article based on speculation from Tim Graham. Seems like a bunch of crap to me.

That it gets run in here shows some like the smell.

Three days ago gut wrenching, heart breaking video of Mrs. Pegula, three days later this……

Edited by US Egg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Next time Terry Pegula breaks a huddle, let me know <_<

Terry Pegula owns the huddle, lock stock and barrel, 

• Like (+1) 1

It was discussed in this thread:

Let me re-post Tim Graham's later "clarification" where he admitted “implore” was too strong and his article could mislead to have readers believe there were recent meetings or orders from Pegula, which isn't the case after all.

Overall, I call it bad journalism.

@Big Turk If possible, please include these clarification tweets from Tim Graham to get the story straight in your first post.

Edited by syhuang
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Reading Graham’s sad explainer tweets and factoring in that he (as a reporter) is DEEP in the hip pocket (because of access reasons) of a  mostly clueless owner who just happens to have lucked into a generational talent at QB tells you all you need to know. Just crappy stuff. 

• Agree 1

I'm not going to speculate but I think personally Terry would like to see Josh never allow a player pull a stunt like Diggs did.  Brady would never have tolerated Stef getting in his face like that.  I agree with Steptide...It wouldn't hurt JA17 to raise the leadership bar a tad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm not going to speculate but I think personally Terry would like to see Josh never allow a player pull a stunt like Diggs did.  Brady would never have tolerated Stef getting in his face like that.  I agree with Steptide...It wouldn't hurt JA17 to raise the leadership bar a tad. 

Pegula is clueless.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Outside of the Diggs drama, I've never heard of a player that won't run through a wall for Josh.  Even players on other teams talk about wanting to play with him.

I have zero concerns with Josh's leadership on this team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

But what does this even mean? 

Great question.  Again, this is pure speculation.  But based on what I've heard from Josh and his teammates, I think he can be a better leader.  I'll use the Army's "11 Principles of Leadership" as a framework:

Know yourself and seek self-improvement.  Allen is pretty lackadaisical during the offseason.  For example, he said he didn't work out for a couple of months after last season ended (though he did work on his mechanics).  Some QBs use the offseason to work on their bodies and master their craft (hitting the gym, reading books, refining their nutrition plan, studying film, picking the brains of OCs and QBs, etc.).  

Be technically and tactically proficient.  Allen knows our scheme inside and out.  But he's said that he's not a film junkie nor does he closely read the reports on opponents produced by the analytics department.   He's not as smart about opponents as some QBs.  

Develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates.  I don't think Josh sees this as his job.  I get the impression that he believes it's up to the coaches to get guys to show up to practice, practice hard, study the playbook, and execute at a high level on game day.  I hate to say this, but Tom Brady took this part of his job seriously.  Josh is more "Aw, shucks," and buddy-buddy, as Graham wrote.  

Make sound and timely decisions.  It's not exactly what the army is talking about, but Josh does not always make sound and timely decisions with the ball.  As Kurt Warner has said more than once, Josh will be more effective when he gets in the habit of throwing the ball "on schedule."   

Set an example.  Josh leads by example on game day.  That's his leadership forte.  He puts his body on the line for his team and I love him for it.  But I'd like him to lead by example off the field as well by being a gym rat and film junkie.  

Know your people and look out for their welfare.   Maybe -  no idea.  He does seem to be good at offsite team-building and bonding stuff.  

Keep your people informed.  Maybe -  no idea.  

Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.  Josh absolutely takes responsibility for his actions.  But does he seek responsibility for the entire offense?  Brees, Brady, P. Manning were described as mini OCs who were more than just the guy who threw the ball.  They saw themselves as the leaders of their offenses and did whatever they could to get it to execute at a higher level.  I'm not confident that Josh plays that role as robustly as some other QBs.  

Ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.  I saw some sloppy route running last season and wondered:  Is the OC doing anything to fix this?  The position coach?  Josh?  Again, I don't think Josh saw this as his responsibility.  Josh needs to be on the details.  If a tackle lines up 4 inches too wide on a play, I want the QB to make sure it doesn't happen again.  

Train your people as a team.  Diggs was a great player.  But was he a great team player?  I don't think so.  And I'm guessing Josh didn't do anything to fix that.  A good leader gets each player to set aside their personal crap, put the team first, and give the team their all.  I don't think Josh provides a lot of that kind of leadership.  If it's happening, I'm not hearing about it.  

Use the full capabilities of your organization.  This is far more a Brady thing than a Josh thing and has to do with putting all your skills and weapons to use to secure victory.  I won't fault Josh here.

Maybe with Diggs gone, and Josh being another year older and more experienced, he'll play a bigger leadership role this year.

And look, this assessment is just guesswork.  Like Virgil said, players would run through a wall for Josh.  There's far more good in Josh than bad.  But I think there's still room for improvement.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

so everything that Josh preaches..and McD and Bean is all about building that bond, that camaraderie between players...

between josh and his receivers.   Hence the private things Josh does with the players...the off season workouts.   

You cant have that and say we are one..we are all..and then have josh a King or dictator above the rest.   

ive listened a few interviews and they all talk about Josh being serious and dialed in on the field.

I think its a fine line to have control as a qb on the field and remaining one of the guys that your a big part of this close knit group.

Also i feel like Joshes level of play as QB marks him as leader of the offense...no wr is or should be disputing that. 

Edited by Comebackkid