Pegula imploring Beane and McD to get Allen to embrace a CEO role?

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Mr. Pegula can have whatever opinion about Josh that he wants to have.

But why go public with it ?

Could he not invite Josh to dinner and express how he feels in private ?

Did Terry say it in public?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Some BS called "low positive". No running. And now, executive.

Jesus, stop meddling with this guy. 

The only thing Josh Allen needs to improve on is committing slightly fewer turnovers. Let Josh be Josh. 

Thank you. 

The guy doesn’t have a Super Bowl ring because Levi Wallace played 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on Travis Kelce. 

Allen is a born leader. They need to shut up and learn from him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Mr. Pegula can have whatever opinion about Josh that he wants to have.

But why go public with it ?

Could he not invite Josh to dinner and express how he feels in private ?

Yeah, he didn't 

Josh is by far the highest paid employee of the entire Bills organziation. Making about 10x what even McD and Beane make. Josh will likely be a part of the Bills longer than McD, Beane, or anyone else in the FO. I wouldnt fault Pegula IF he wanted Josh to take more of an executive leadership role, even if it ultimately isnt the right move. But probably a conversation he should have directly with Josh, not McD and Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 9:24 AM, SoTier said:

I don't think Taylor's book necessarily supports your premise.    Differing leadership styles are more about differences in personalities than differences in generational sensibilities.

I mean literally the cover of the book says "boomers, millennials, and the looming generational showdown"

Lol tell me you didn't read the book without telling me you didn't read the book. 

On 7/28/2024 at 7:47 PM, Doc said:

From where did Tim hear this?  The Bills are tight-lipped.

He doesn't even say the obligatory "according to a source inside the organization"

This sounds like pure speculation, although I don't doubt that there's at least a little truth to it

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He doesn't even say the obligatory "according to a source inside the organization"

This sounds like pure speculation, although I don't doubt that there's at least a little truth to it

I always got/get a kick out of "anonymous sources say."  This is even worse.

Anyway, Josh yelled at a DL and the DC.  He's there.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I always got/get a kick out of "anonymous sources say."  This is even worse.

Anyway, Josh yelled at a DL and the DC.  He's there.

why is that?  It's a basic tenet of reporting since there has been reporting.

Edited by Mr. WEO

On 7/31/2024 at 8:49 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Josh is by far the highest paid employee of the entire Bills organziation. Making about 10x what even McD and Beane make. Josh will likely be a part of the Bills longer than McD, Beane, or anyone else in the FO. I wouldnt fault Pegula IF he wanted Josh to take more of an executive leadership role, even if it ultimately isnt the right move. But probably a conversation he should have directly with Josh, not McD and Beane.

I'm not sure about this. When the owner bypasses the GM and head coach, do we not then have a "meddling owner?" 

When I first saw this post, it brought up an old memory.

I work in the restaurant industry.  And I was once told about a retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant who was now working as the General Manager of a fast food restaurant.  He was failing which I thought was odd since I have a lot of respect for gunnery sergeants.  

So I went to talk  to the guy to see what was going wrong.  To my dismay, I discovered he didn't know how to prep food, take orders, make orders, or much of anything else.  I told him he was violating atleast two of the military's 11 Principles of Leadership: "Lead by example," and "Be technically and tactically proficient."   He didn't know squat and hung out in his office all day.    

His counterargument went something like this, "Here's how I think about it.  I'm the CEO of multimillion dollar business.   Maria is my VP of Operation and Jacob is my Comptroller.  CEOs delegate.  They don't do grunt work."  No wonder he was failing! 

I've hated the CEO  model of leadership ever since.  If Terry really said Josh should be like a CEO, he was wrong.  Josh shouldn't be aloof from the grunts.  Instead, he should be like a good Marine NCO and roll up his sleeves to work alongside them but, at the same time, demanding teamwork, effort, and flawless execution. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Probably because in 2024 we have way more creators than reporters.

News outlets/publishers of news (such as the Athletic) have a lot more to lose than "creators", hence they have editors who will be told by the reporter who the source is.  The editor will confirm with the source.

Let Josh be whoever Josh wants to be as himself and as a leader of the team. If there are other "CEO qualities" that are needed, that's up to the coaching staff to fill them in. Don't mess with Josh's game or his head... he does enough already. Just let him be his best self.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DC Greg said:

. Just let him be his best self.

I think there is a real decision to be made on what is his best self.  If he is greenlighted to run at will, he is the most potent offensive weapon in the NFL, by a considerable margin. If he is reduced to be "only a passer", he is a top 5 QB, which is really nice too.  We have had the elements in place to win possibly win the super bowl each year if the NFL's best offensive weapon at QB. I am not sure we have the roster/coaching in place to win with "just" a top five QB. 

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

When I first saw this post, it brought up an old memory.

I work in the restaurant industry.  And I was once told about a retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant who was now working as the General Manager of a fast food restaurant.  He was failing which I thought was odd since I have a lot of respect for gunnery sergeants.  

So I went to talk  to the guy to see what was going wrong.  To my dismay, I discovered he didn't know how to prep food, take orders, make orders, or much of anything else.  I told him he was violating atleast two of the military's 11 Principles of Leadership: "Lead by example," and "Be technically and tactically proficient."   He didn't know squat and hung out in his office all day.    

His counterargument went something like this, "Here's how I think about it.  I'm the CEO of multimillion dollar business.   Maria is my VP of Operation and Jacob is my Comptroller.  CEOs delegate.  They don't do grunt work."  No wonder he was failing! 

I've hated the CEO  model of leadership ever since.  If Terry really said Josh should be like a CEO, he was wrong.  Josh shouldn't be aloof from the grunts.  Instead, he should be like a good Marine NCO and roll up his sleeves to work alongside them but, at the same time, demanding teamwork, effort, and flawless execution. 

I'd say this misrepresents a lot of successful CEOs, and that guy certainly didnt have a business degree or knew what a CEO does.

Now, there are certainly many who have tried to take that aloof, hands-off approach, thinking it's an easy gig. But either they or the company wont last too long.

The best CEOs I've known are the ones that get their hands dirty. The best one I've ever known, I caught in the warehouse doing some menial grunt work one time, and when I called him out on why the boss would be doing that, he responded "When you are CEO, all that means is: any job you dont have someone specifically hired to do, becomes your job". Learned a big lesson that day. Followed that guy across 4 different companies.

I think that is more of the leadership Terry is looking to get out of his highest paid employee not named Pegula.

• Like (+1) 1