Christian Barmore diagnosed with Blood Clots

12 hours ago, Rubes said:

Plenty of non-hereditary reasons for clots that are of enough concern that continuing this type of massive contact sport might not be such a good idea.

If he's no longer anticoagulated, there is no extra risk. 

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Man...it's not THAT serious.

I was on Eliquis for a year, my Dad is on it for life due to DVTs. We have both had small cuts here and there and it was no big deal, maybe took a little longer than normal to stop but we weren't gushing blood for hours.

The one issue with Elquis tho is that even tho it is far better than Warfarin in terms of side effects and ease of use is that if you do have a SERIOUS incident like a car crash or something they have no way of reversing it currently like they do with Warfarin.

Did it give you headaches and wavy vision?  If so, does that go away?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he's no longer anticoagulated, there is no extra risk. 

Thanks, doctor.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I was on Eliquis for a year, my Dad is on it for life due to DVTs. We have both had small cuts here and there and it was no big deal, maybe took a little longer than normal to stop but we weren't gushing blood for hours.

The one issue with Elquis tho is that even tho it is far better than Warfarin in terms of side effects and ease of use is that if you do have a SERIOUS incident like a car crash or something they have no way of reversing it currently like they do with Warfarin.

I am betting you don’t play professional contact football for a living.  Plus there are multiple possible causes which require investigation. It could be a cardiac lesion , like a valvular issue or unclosed connection between chambers of the heart not detected before ( remember teddy brushci ?).   I didn’t see any detail of exactly where he clots were or how they presented clinically.   Those factors determine treatment and prognosis. If it’s a simple dvt in a leg , then it’s very straightforward, yet still affects his availability to play for a. Minimum period of at least three months. 

I didn’t see an exact diagnosis  or cause given and this is a professional athlete where head injuries are not uncommon and obviously bleeding into the closed cranial space can be disastrous while on anti coagulation.    Forgive me if the exact diagnosis was stated and I missed it ,  which determines therapy.  Until that is know there is no way to know prognosis or treatment length , but it’s pretty obvious this is a POSSIBLE  career altering situation for a professional football player. 

if someone knows the exact underlying diagnosis causing he clotting and  any co-morbidities or lack thereof present , only then can they provide any useful/ trustworthy information regarding return to play prognosticators.  Hope it’s a simple, straightforward cause and he returns in time to safely resume his career. 

A coworker of mine just had a P.E. from blood clots in his legs that traveled up after a back surgery. Almost didnt make it. Happened 2 Months ago and he still gasps for air and says he has about 75% lung capacity. So scary, and praying for the man in NE.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I am betting you don’t play professional contact football for a living.  Plus there are multiple possible causes which require investigation. It could be a cardiac lesion , like a valvular issue or unclosed connection between chambers of the heart not detected before ( remember teddy brushci ?).   I didn’t see any detail of exactly where he clots were or how they presented clinically.   Those factors determine treatment and prognosis. If it’s a simple dvt in a leg , then it’s very straightforward, yet still affects his availability to play for a. Minimum period of at least three months. 

I didn’t see an exact diagnosis  or cause given and this is a professional athlete where head injuries are not uncommon and obviously bleeding into the closed cranial space can be disastrous while on anti coagulation.    Forgive me if the exact diagnosis was stated and I missed it ,  which determines therapy.  Until that is know there is no way to know prognosis or treatment length , but it’s pretty obvious this is a POSSIBLE  career altering situation for a professional football player. 

if someone knows the exact underlying diagnosis causing he clotting and  any co-morbidities or lack thereof present , only then can they provide any useful/ trustworthy information regarding return to play prognosticators.  Hope it’s a simple, straightforward cause and he returns in time to safely resume his career. 

Oh I was in no way talking about a pro athlete playing...I was simply responding to a person saying simple cuts were life threatening...they aren't in the vast majority of people unless there is something REALLY wrong with you.

1 hour ago, CoudyBills said:

Did it give you headaches and wavy vision?  If so, does that go away?

Nope, never got any of that.  Honestly didn't cause any sides.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

not the whole season

Spin away but it is bad news for your team as he is one of your best players.  I hope he stays healthy.  Football is less important than health.

On 7/28/2024 at 6:30 PM, Big Turk said:

My hematologist said they have one now in case of major emergencies, its called Andexanet alfa

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

My hematologist said they have one now in case of major emergencies, its called Andexanet alfa

Oh nice!  That must be new because when I was taking it they told me there wasn't anything if that happened. Now there really isn't any reason to be on Warfarin or Coumadin since Eliquis effects are very short in terms of coming off of it for any type of surgery, etc...think you go back to normal in 24-48 hours instead of weeks like the other ones.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Just now, Big Turk said:

Oh nice!  That must be new because when I was taking it they told me there wasn't anything if that happened.

I heard about it being available years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

I fouled a ball off of my leg in college, the lump swelled up a lot.  

I continued to play on it.  The swelling went down to a little lump by the next game the following day...ots of bruising.

I was in left field and I just remember around the 3rd inning, my leg was tingling and starting to get really numb.

Our Team Trainer told me to go to the hospital.  I went there and the ER doc took a scalpel, opened up the lump and was pulling out solid strings of blood.

I can't believe a simple lump caused all that.

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Looks like it was approved by the FDA in 2018...which was after I was on it.

Sounds about when I first heard it was available (I was thinking about 5 years ago).