Christian Barmore diagnosed with Blood Clots

I have the same problem. You can die from it but once you know that your body is producing blood clots it's super easy to control with blood thinner. I am no doctor but this is my understanding.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I have the same problem. You can die from it but once you know that your body is producing blood clots it's super easy to control with blood thinner. I am no doctor but this is my understanding.

If you are on a blood thinner, you probably shouldn’t play contact sports.

• Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have a genetic condition called Factor V Leiden, which causes my blood to abnormally clot.  I found out after I had a pulmonary embolism in 17'.  Tratable with a blood thinner like Eliquis, and baby asprin. but a really bad cut could be disastrous. 

I am betting he has it,and if so he has to be very careful from here on out.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I have a genetic condition called Factor V Leiden, which causes my blood to abnormally clot.  I found out after I had a pulmonary embolism in 17'.  Tratable with a blood thinner like Eliquis, and baby asprin. but a really bad cut could be disastrous. 

I am betting he has it,and if so he has to be very careful from here on out.

Factor V is a disease predominantly in Caucasian populations 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

My Dad is as well and I have had a blood clot due to an impending hip surgery that rendered my immobile for multiple weeks prior...

Basically they put you on Eliquis and you are good to go.

Not sure how that would work playing football tho since you would bruise/bleed more easily.

Really really really thought this said Christian Benford at first glance. 

I hope Barmore is able to make it back from this. He's a heck of a player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

The cause of the blood clots is huge here, because as some have already pointed out some causes make any cut life threatening. There are also ones where it is very treatable and simply long term monitoring 

Man...it's not THAT serious.

I was on Eliquis for a year, my Dad is on it for life due to DVTs. We have both had small cuts here and there and it was no big deal, maybe took a little longer than normal to stop but we weren't gushing blood for hours.

The one issue with Elquis tho is that even tho it is far better than Warfarin in terms of side effects and ease of use is that if you do have a SERIOUS incident like a car crash or something they have no way of reversing it currently like they do with Warfarin.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless he has a hereditary predisposition to clotting abnormally, his treatment is a few months of blood thinner and that’s it. 

Minimal recovery if any is needed.

Plenty of non-hereditary reasons for clots that are of enough concern that continuing this type of massive contact sport might not be such a good idea.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I have same issue with blood with very high concentration of platelets.

When I am punctured wound seals very quickly.

It may have caused my stroke.

He needs to be constantly monitored due to his profession but as long as he does not skip medical checks he should be okay but sometimes when players suspect bad medical news which may cost them job (it has for me several times) he should be okay.

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

If you are on a blood thinner, you probably shouldn’t play contact sports.

Yeah, I'm guessing blood thinners could make you prone to a lot of contusions in a contact sport, and they would be a lot more severe.

There are several genetic conditions that predispose people to clots

Factor V

Anti-thrombin III

Protein C and S

Lupus anticoagulant 

And there are probably several more we haven't discovered yet

If just a DVT and no pulmonary embolism and no genetic cause you can treat for 3 months then stop though I usually do a minimum of 6 months.