Should we be concerned about Milano in pass coverage this year?

Before anyone says anything, I get it, all the Training Camp practices to date have been no pads. 

Today in pass coverage, Milano was getting burned by the RB’s. I’m concerned his leg injury is going to take another year to fully heal before Milano is back to his normal self. While Tre White and Von Miller had different types of leg injuries, we’ve seen both players come back the next season from their injuries and did not produce at the level they did before their injuries. Tre did look like his old self at the start of last season (two years removed from his injury), before his season ending injury. Von Miller stated he probably shouldn’t have played last season as he was ineffective in his return. 

If Milano is struggling in pass protection now, should the Bills limit his play this season (or at least early on?) Also, what is the Bills backup plan if Milano struggles? We don’t need AJ Klein brought out of retirement again.

• Haha (+1) 2

You are thinking backwards.  You should only be concerned if our RBs can't consistently beat OLB coverage. 

I'm not trying to be flippant. Milano is a great zone coverage LB.   Very few linebackers can keep up with NFL RBs in man coverage.  

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

If Milano is struggling in pass protection now, should the Bills limit his play this season (or at least early on?) Also, what is the Bills backup plan if Milano struggles? We don’t need AJ Klein brought out of retirement again.

Dorian Williams and Nick Morrow.  Don't worry.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No concern, worry or anxiety of any kind, Milano will get to what ever his peak playing condition is when his body allows, we have his replacement on the roster presently, it’s that Dorian Williams guy…, 

• Like (+1) 1

The problem is the camp reports from media are often contradictory.    I’ve read that Milano was beat by Ray but also that he got to the sideline.  Who knows what the real story is?  

Best to wait until the real games start:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We know so little about this injury-- only that it's a tibial plateau fracture. I had this same injury myself, that required surgery. It's an odd injury, in that it's not a broken bone like it would be if it were lower down in the tibia, but more of a crushed bone from the top. The problem here is that if it doesn't heal perfectly, it will affect the knee's stability. Mine healed, but I was never the same skier afterwards-- but that might have been partially just my confidence. As Aaron Rodgers recently said, "the last 5% of getting to 100% is mental."

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Before anyone says anything, I get it, all the Training Camp practices to date have been no pads. 

Today in pass coverage, Milano was getting burned by the RB’s. I’m concerned his leg injury is going to take another year to fully heal before Milano is back to his normal self. While Tre White and Von Miller had different types of leg injuries, we’ve seen both players come back the next season from their injuries and did not produce at the level they did before their injuries. Tre did look like his old self at the start of last season (two years removed from his injury), before his season ending injury. Von Miller stated he probably shouldn’t have played last season as he was ineffective in his return. 

Won’t surprise me if they need to ease him in or more.  He’s coming off of a major injury.  More important he’s at full strength by later in the season than early on.

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly don’t think so. You saw heard that he bounced right back today. He’s still young enough and he is next level competitive. I am not worried about it really.

1 hour ago, JDubya76 said:
2 hours ago, MPL said:

I am very concerned about everything every year. 

I’m concerned about your concern, it’s very concerning, obviously.

well now I’m concerned about your concern, and the last thing I need is another thing to be concerned about, obviously. 

Truth is Milano is now 30 years old. Not everyone is Lavonte David. He may never be the same player again. I believe Dorian Williams will be ready to step in and play a big role on defense if need be. 

• Like (+1) 4