Has anyone tried any of these diabetes shots for weight loss?

Virgil

Recently,  it's been found that Ozempic (or very similar drugs) have significant impacts on weight loss.  Over the past year, a ton of websites have started offering tele-health consultations and generic versions of the drugs, leading to a surge in people trying them.  Fortunately, these newer drugs being created have allowed Ozempic and other drugs to go where they are needed, to people with diabetes, even though there still are huge supply shortages.

Major websites like RO, HIMS/HERS, and a few others offer compounded GLP-1 injections from $199 a month and up.  

With my recent weight issues and other things, I've been seriously considering giving it a chance.  Many people have lost up to 20% of their weight over a year, depending on their BMI.  They are even working on table versions of the medicine, but they have so far not shown to be as effective.

Has anyone tried any of these drugs yet and can share a story?

I have a couple friends who have used it with some good success but it obviously is not the best way to lose the weight since if you get off the medicine your behaviors will cause the weight to come back. One friend has been able to keep it off for a few months since getting off it but her eating habits also changed for the better.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s not quite the “magic pill”, but close.

I’ve thought about it. Hopefully it would give me the motivation to keep on track once stopped.  What’s stopping me is the side effects.  Need to consider those.  

drugs.com list of four

Constipation

Nausea

Dizziness

Diarrhea

Fatigue

Abdominal pain

Hypoglycemia

Allergic reaction

Bloating

Flatulence

Gallstones

Headache

Tachycardia

Thyroid cancer

Blurred vision

Heartburn

Burping

Pancreatitis

Stomach inflammation

Chronic gastrointestinal issues

Dehydration and kidney problems

Diabetic retinopathy

Dysphagia

Kidney damage

Edited by davefan66

I know a couple women in their 50's lost a lot of weight. Great results. But I understand if they go off that it will be a challenge to keep that weight off. Still, their results now are tough to argue against 

As all have said, I heard the same thing that people put the weight right back on once they stop taking the shots, which makes sense.  

For me, I used to play a lot of sports and that was my main form of exercise.  When I gained weight, I couldn’t play sports the same way, and then proceeded to gain more weight.  I tried to go out and play again, but then I tore up my knee.  

I’m hoping the weight loss will let me get myself down to a weight that lets me play sports again, and then I won’t need to rely on the meds as much. I also know that I eat very differently when I weigh less 

I think I’m going to try the year from Hims for $200 a month and see how it goes.  

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Constipation

Nausea

Dizziness

Diarrhea

Fatigue

Abdominal pain

Hypoglycemia

Allergic reaction

Bloating

Flatulence

Gallstones

Headache

Tachycardia

Thyroid cancer

Blurred vision

Heartburn

Burping

Pancreatitis

Stomach inflammation

Chronic gastrointestinal issues

Dehydration and kidney problems

Diabetic retinopathy

Dysphagia

Kidney damage

Sounds like this board after a playoff loss.

• Haha (+1) 4

One of my friends who’s a few years older than me (around 50) is doing Ozempic.  He told me he had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and that may be true, but I think he just wanted to shed some weight.  He ended up losing around 30 pounds in just under a year.  

He told me that the medicine essentially makes him nauseous when he eats (and sometimes when he just thinks about food), and often he needs to vomit after meals.  I found this to be very weird and a little bit alarming.  He said when he knows he is going to have a big meal such as out to dinner with his wife or going to a BBQ he needs to skip a dose.

I don’t know about all this, but who am I to judge.  He said he feels the best he has felt in 20 years.

I had in the past. I dropped about 25 lbs within a few weeks but plateaued. My doctor is suggesting I try these shots again. I cannot remember which drug I was injecting. No, it did not begin with an H. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

One of my friends who’s a few years older than me (around 50) is doing Ozempic.  He told me he had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and that may be true, but I think he just wanted to shed some weight.  He ended up losing around 30 pounds in just under a year.  

He told me that the medicine essentially makes him nauseous when he eats (and sometimes when he just thinks about food), and often he needs to vomit after meals.  I found this to be very weird and a little bit alarming.  He said when he knows he is going to have a big meal such as out to dinner with his wife or going to a BBQ he needs to skip a dose.

I don’t know about all this, but who am I to judge.  He said he feels the best he has felt in 20 years.

Those are the side effects I’m worried about, but it’s only a small percentage that has those issues.  Knowing my luck, I’ll be in that small percentile.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

Using Wegovy. Works like a charm. Zero appetite. Minimal side effects. Still have to eat right though. Cut out the processed foods and sugar.

Do you mind sharing a little more about your specific journey?

Start weight, current weight, how long you’ve been doing it, current dosage?

If that’s too private, I apologize.  Or feel free to DM me 

3 hours ago, TSNBDSC said:

Using Wegovy. Works like a charm. Zero appetite. Minimal side effects. Still have to eat right though. Cut out the processed foods and sugar.

JEESH! THAT'S not the point! LoL...

You might as well end all life's enjoyment! 😉 

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm on a pre diabetic med. it has helped me lose some lbs, but like most drugs, once you're in them for a while they start to lose their effect and you need more/higher dose. I know it's tough and no fun but cutting out sugar  is the best, not easiest answer. Sugar is literally a killer. 

Can anyone spare some for Kim Jong Un?

North Korean officials looking for medicines for Kim's obesity-related health problems, Seoul says - ABC News (go.com)

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has regained weight and is suffering from obesity-related health problems including high blood pressure and diabetes, and his officials are looking for new medicines abroad to treat them, South Korea’s spy agency told lawmakers on Monday.

I know a few people who have used variants of Ozempic and lost a lot of weight pretty quickly.  They swear its a miracle.  Its not just diet related changes in behavior either.  They're finding they don't drink as much.  Basically less sensitive to impulsive/addictive behaviors.  

25 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I know a few people who have used variants of Ozempic and lost a lot of weight pretty quickly.  They swear its a miracle.  Its not just diet related changes in behavior either.  They're finding they don't drink as much.  Basically less sensitive to impulsive/addictive behaviors.  

That’s interesting. I have a friend who lost about 15 pounds so far on Ozempic. I’m thinking back to a call I got from him a few months ago around dinner time. He said “my dinner is at your door, in case you are wondering where that came from.” The last time he had used Door Dash or whatever was from my address and he forgot to change it to his house. I go to the front door and there is a stack of boxes that almost comes up to my knees. He’s got mozzarella sticks and wings and potatoe skins and every other bar food you can think of. It was an INSANE amount of food for one person, like he had zero impulse control. If you can calm your mind and order food responsibly you’d almost have to lose weight! 

I shouldn’t be casting stones, but I hope it helps him cut down on his drinking as well. 

Just saw a soon-to-be-deleted version on YouTube, well, just a few minutes of it -- but thought that it was hilarious.  The cinematography (of the bootlegger) reminds me something of an episode of Seinfeld.  (How the full movie was able to be uploaded to YouTube without raising any red flags was news to me, but whatever.)

Will definitely see it in the theaters, maybe end of week.