How much money would Jack Kemp make in the modern day NFL?

HOUSE

Who knows. Depends on how he would adjust to how the QB position was played today.

There is literally no way of knowing and anyone who thinks there would be is simply lying.

It's a different game today...might as well be a different sport.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Who knows. Depends on how he would adjust to how the QB position was played today.

There is literally no way of knowing and anyone who thinks there would be is simply lying.

It's a different game today...might as well be a different sport.

Aww man , I was waiting for somebody to say he was waived by 2 NFL teams then picked up on waivers for 100 bucks from the Chargers ...

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I grew up watching Jack Kemp in the Rockpile. I would describe him as a game manager. Smart, good decisions, athletic enough and a great leader. I met him at Glenwood Acres when I taught his son, Jeffrey, to ski. He was charismatic, engaging and a great skier. Coincidentally, as an alum, I re-engaged with Jeffrey at Dartmouth when he quarterbacked the Big Green (before he played with the Rams).

I started following the Bills in 66. By that time Kemp was in serious decline. One has to consider Kemp had Billy Shaw and Cookie to help him win. Plus a D that was loaded with stud players, possibly the best Bills D ever

On 7/27/2024 at 8:46 PM, Rich Stadium Original said:

The AFL in 1965

1st Down:  Fullback up the middle for 1 yard

2nd Down: Halfback sweep with lead block by fullback for 2 yards

3rd Down: Try that fullback thing up the middle again

4th Down: Punt

....repeat......

Throwing the ball is strictly an emergency procedure.

Just a different era and almost an entirely different game.

Ehhh,  Not quite.  The AFL teams brought much more passing and innovation to the game, and that happened in the 60’s.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Bones, ligaments and such were no stronger then as they are today.

You said players from back then would get murdered.  A torn ligament is hardly that.  Plus they played on actual grass so that may have been better in terms of ligaments.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Not if Cookie was carrying it..LBs and DBs pointing at each other saying..”you tackle him.”

The surprising thing that's often forgotten is that the Bills traded Cookie away after the 1964 season.  I've read that Lou Saban had just had all he could stand of Cookie's independence.  In 1965, when the Bills won their second AFL championship, the Bills had a different fullback-type runner, Billy Joe, whom they obtained from the Broncos in a trade for Cookie.  Billy Joe had been the AFL rookie of the year in 1963 for Denver, and he was no slouch, but for some reason he played only one season in Buffalo. Cookie and Billy Joe both bounced around the AFL/AFC for a couple of years in the late 60s.

12 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

I started following the Bills in 66. By that time Kemp was in serious decline. One has to consider Kemp had Billy Shaw and Cookie to help him win. Plus a D that was loaded with stud players, possibly the best Bills D ever

Cookie was traded from Buffalo to Denver after the 1964 season.  The Bills D up to about 1965 was tremendous as you said, but it got old and became ineffective.  Also the idiotic John Rauch traded Ron McDole away years before McDole was actually finished.  

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

You said players from back then would get murdered.  A torn ligament is hardly that.  Plus they played on actual grass so that may have been better in terms of ligaments.

Yeah, I literally really meant murdered. LOL

Sorry I confused you.

13 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Funny, I don't remember grass at the Rockpile.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Funny, I don't remember grass at the Rockpile.

Good point!

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah, I literally really meant murdered. LOL

Sorry I confused you.

I thought you meant get concussed and such.  Guys were tough back then.

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

99.9% of the league before 1980 wouldn't come close to seeing time in today's NFL

That's true with every sport.

The 1980s players were the best athletes in the country at the time.

High school baseball teams today could beat the 1899 Brooklyn Dodgers.

The 2 eras cannot be realistically compared.

• Agree 1