How much money would Jack Kemp make in the modern day NFL?

HOUSE

• HOUSE changed the title to How much money does Jack Kemp make in the modern day NFL?

The AFL in 1965

1st Down:  Fullback up the middle for 1 yard

2nd Down: Halfback sweep with lead block by fullback for 2 yards

3rd Down: Try that fullback thing up the middle again

4th Down: Punt

....repeat......

Throwing the ball is strictly an emergency procedure.

Just a different era and almost an entirely different game.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Top 5.  Can’t compare stats though because receivers could get mugged back then under the rules.  Kemp would be a Josh-like guy with a great arm and running ability.

TRUE:  "Can’t compare stats though because receivers could get mugged back then under the rules."

FALSE:  "Top 5...  Kemp would be a Josh-like guy with a great arm and running ability."

Kemp was a tough player and a great leader according to those who played with him.  But his accuracy and completion percentage were bad even for his era.  

• Agree 2

Being a 7 time AFL all star and 5 time first team all AFL shows that he was an elite QB among his peers. There's no comparing the game back then to today, or the players, even. But, he was elite for his time, at least in the AFL.

He was 6'1" and 201 pounds, so he would be on the smaller side as a QB today.

He had 40 career rushing TDs when he retired, though, which was 2nd among QB's back then and still 5th all time today. So, I imagine him as a Russel Wilson type QB. But, he is way before my time. I've only seen the odd highlight here or there.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I saw him play back in the mi 1960s. 

He wasn’t a running QB. Never ever ran an option or QB power.  He was a classic dropback QB and an OK scrambler. 

He didn’t have a strong arm and was an ok passer. 

He was a good leader and his teammates seemed to respond to him. 

Best comp would be Kirk cousins, but without cousins accuracy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

I saw him play back in the mi 1960s. 

He wasn’t a running QB. Never ever ran an option or QB power.  He was a classic dropback QB and an OK scrambler. 

He didn’t have a strong arm and was an ok passer. 

He was a good leader and his teammates seemed to respond to him. 

Best comp would be Kirk cousins, but without cousins accuracy. 

I saw him play as well.  Actually caught a pass from him on autograph day.  And he had a very strong arm.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

If you brought Jack to a camp today, he’d not make a team.    If you brought today’s money to a camp sixty years ago, he’d be making big five money.

• Like (+1) 1

• HOUSE changed the title to How much money would Jack Kemp make in the modern day NFL?
11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Top 5.  Can’t compare stats though because receivers could get mugged back then under the rules.  Kemp would be a Josh-like guy with a great arm and running ability.

Class, character, and intelligence! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

You can't compare the stats to today's QBs, but it's fair to compare the accolades. A 2-time AFL MVP and 5x first team All-Star equivalent today would be paid like a top-5 franchise QB. 

10 hours ago, MJS said:

He had 40 career rushing TDs when he retired, though, which was 2nd among QB's back then and still 5th all time today. So, I imagine him as a Russel Wilson type QB. But, he is way before my time. I've only seen the odd highlight here or there.

Most of those rushing TD's were QB sneaks at the goal line. Billy Shaw is in the HOF in part for how he blocked on those sneaks.  If I remember Cookie used to help with a nudge or two in the pile.

• Awesome! (+1) 1