If every NFL player & coach wrote a memoir in retirement, which would you want to read most?

Belichick.  He is such a unique football mind.  You can see his defensive mind.  His relationship with Parcells.  His development of Brady and what he saw from day 1 is something that isnt talked about enough.  I believe they rostered 4 qbs because Bill didn't want to lose him on waivers.  I liked his draft insight on Mcafee.  Seemed out on Maye but big on Penix and Nix.  The NFL greatest 100 list you saw his passion energy.  I look forward to see his opinions during the season week to week.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

that has to be the most exhaustive list of the most boring memoirs ever potentially published—Yeesh! 

Lawrence Taylor or Michael Irvin maybe. 

Glad I topped one of your categories! 🙌

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952dg6s6ka6ec6vqktqpk

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree, assuming you meant Pete Carroll.  I'd be more interested in coaches than players.  I don't care about the bro stuff.  I want to hear about leadership philosophies, schemes, and all that.  

Pete "The Nose" Carroll, yes! That's who I meant!

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It might have taken me a while to get their, but yeah, Fitzpatrick.  He's had interesting experiences and he could tell the story well.  

For example, who else in the NFL has spent four years in college with some of the smartest people in the world, a college where the jocks actually take classes.  Then he follows it up with an amazing pro career, where he accomplished way beyond what anyone expected of him.  And he was funny and reflective at the same time.  Remember he wore all that weird red hairy mask think when he was giving his speech at a roast - must have been Eric Wood?  And stories about this family and moving all the time.  

Yes, Fitz!  Do it!

I really wish he won something. He really deserved it. He took every experience and lived in the moment. He will always been one of my favorite Bills/ NFL players. Your right, he could tell stories from so many perspectives being on so many teams, knowing so many players and coaches and so on. 

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Maybe there’s an actual memoir out there on your list, or it’s never been written—but either way, which one would be a must-read? 

OP’s initial suggestions (I’m excluding Kelly’s since I already read that one a few times over 🤷‍♂️😞

-Dan Marino (so I could revel in constant defeat at Buffalo’s hands);

-Antonio Brown (everyone likes gawking at car crashes and his stories would have to be epic);

-Josh Allen…Duh!

-Hue Jackson (how did he manage to swindle/hang on to his tenures so long?) 

-Dick Jauron (morbid curiosity to see how he would explain punting as an offensive weapon no matter the field position) 

Eventually getting the behind the scenes story on 13 seconds would be possible? But who is the most likely to accurately dish that disaster? 😳

Some of the 60’s-80’s players would also no doubt discuss ‘roids and bounties galore…the options here are endless!

Josh Allen seems kind of boring off the field, but that’s a good thing 

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Maybe there’s an actual memoir out there on your list, or it’s never been written—but either way, which one would be a must-read? 

OP’s initial suggestions (I’m excluding Kelly’s since I already read that one a few times over 🤷‍♂️😞

-Dan Marino (so I could revel in constant defeat at Buffalo’s hands);

-Antonio Brown (everyone likes gawking at car crashes and his stories would have to be epic);

-Josh Allen…Duh!

-Hue Jackson (how did he manage to swindle/hang on to his tenures so long?) 

-Dick Jauron (morbid curiosity to see how he would explain punting as an offensive weapon no matter the field position) 

Eventually getting the behind the scenes story on 13 seconds would be possible? But who is the most likely to accurately dish that disaster? 😳

Some of the 60’s-80’s players would also no doubt discuss ‘roids and bounties galore…the options here are endless!

Why wait until retirement?  lol.  This book was one of the surprisingly more entertaining sports books I read.  I think after Keyshawn’s rookie year

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Give-Me-Damn-Ball/dp/0446521450

That being said I guess I do find it interesting what goes through the minds of these diva/high maintenance wide receivers.  So yeah T.O and more recently Diggs would be good reads for me.

Id still be interested even after 9 years now if St Doug wrote a book being totally transparent about being the Bills coach and why he left.  

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Josh Allen seems kind of boring off the field, but that’s a good thing 

Well…. That we are aware of 😉

• Like (+1) 1

Ronnie Lott would be a fun read about lopping off his finger, how he played, and his experience in practices/training camp against his team's offense.

Thurman Thomas writing about the highs and lows of their amazing teams, the K-Gun offense, the Bickering Bills, and playing college with Barry Sanders.

I am sure there is stuff written about Lawrence Taylor, but a Biography on his upbringing, mentality, drugs, women, snapping legs, and Super Bowls would be a great read.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 2

Player:

RB Jim Brown- He was way before my era but I'd love to hear about his football life and how he was truly treated, later was in movies and then politics (sort of). I'd love to hear all the different stories from all three of those phases would be interesting and not some book but the real stories.

Coach:

HC Jimmy Johnson- I know I'm supposed to despise him and I pretty much did as a young kid who watched him tear apart our beloved Bills in the SB's but I always found it amazing how he pulled off those trades and pretty much was the guy who put the draft trade value chart together which basically made the draft into what it is today imo. I'd love to hear his thinking about how it all transpired and what he truly thought of Jones and again not in a book but his actual true memoir would be very intriguing to me. Also how much hair gel or spray it really takes to keep it staying in 1 place like that. 

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014

Michael Vick - from #1 pick in the draft as the best dual threat QB since Cunningham, his life growing up around dog fighting, his time in prison, his football career after prison, and post retirement challenges.

LeSean McCoy would be interesting. He is quite the character and not afraid to share the dirt about other players and coaches. His ending in Philly was eventful. Plus, he saw the very beginning of Josh Allen and would have some cool insight seeing him enter the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Isaiah McKenzie.

Dude is bats--t crazy and seeing the NFL through his eyes would probably read like something from Haruki Murakami. We have enough x's and o's types of football books and introspective memoirs... show me the NFL through the lens of surrealism and cosmic horror Isaiah! 😂

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Player:

RB Jim Brown- He was way before my era but I'd love to hear about his football life and how he was truly treated, later was in movies and then politics (sort of). I'd love to hear all the different stories from all three of those phases would be interesting and not some book but the real stories.

Coach:

HC Jimmy Johnson- I know I'm supposed to despise him and I pretty much did as a young kid who watched him tear apart our beloved Bills in the SB's but I always found it amazing how he pulled off those trades and pretty much was the guy who put the draft trade value chart together which basically made the draft into what it is today imo. I'd love to hear his thinking about how it all transpired and what he truly thought of Jones and again not in a book but his actual true memoir would be very intriguing to me. Also how much hair gel or spray it really takes to keep it staying in 1 place like that. 

JJ shamefully under-rated.  Genius coach.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Einstein said:

Belichick - if he is open and forthright in the book.

Is there a special “grumble font”? 

Someone beat me to Gronk, which should be a nice easy read with no big words and lots of goofy stories. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

that has to be the most exhaustive list of the most boring memoirs ever potentially published—Yeesh! 

Lawrence Taylor or Michael Irvin maybe. 

LT

/endthread

• Like (+1) 1